DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Premium

While the loco was in bits I took the opportunity to photograph the pickup assembly while it was separated from the frames.  

The backscratchers rub on the backs of the wheels, and the loop of brass wire is to clip on a "jump lead" for wheel cleaning with the loco inverted. The other lead clips to the frames.

714106739_IMG_4715small.jpg.5db5c41ae79e33b69041f41c05345284.jpg

1058161034_IMG_4716small.jpg.3018caef5b3b3359b766bfbd5c984046.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Construction is pretty much finished, although there's still a few details to be added.  Next job is taking it to bits again for cleaning, blackening and then painting.

Couplings are fitted, and I might add a handrail at the front, similar to that carried by Moelwyn at one time.

496808828_P1050710small.jpg.5acbba1fdfa14f35ebd90ff133cfe37a.jpg

1761630013_P1050695small.jpg.e9a5842249cc29bb117016c746ff6852.jpg

2006036793_P1050696small.jpg.9bc8a75e42c6a68f2854376257a087e0.jpg

189204410_P1050700small.jpg.773ee465903406d72f73a47ef83fe459.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14

My views on the composition of certain parts of the kit have been made known - but I don't wish to take away from you the skill and craftmanship that has gone into the build. I'm not sure about the back either, not an addition I would have made and to me it detracts so IMO not worth the effort. But, nevertheless you have made a good job of that as well.

Now just get some paint on it to assist forgetting that awful lump of resin.

I really do not know what the problem is with resin. If cast well it is often better than etches. I can vaguely remember there being things said about etches being to thin, and not as durable as heavy scratch built and cast white metal kits.

• Like 1

Construction is pretty much finished, although there's still a few details to be added.  Next job is taking it to bits again for cleaning, blackening and then painting.

Couplings are fitted, and I might add a handrail at the front, similar to that carried by Moelwyn at one time.

P1050710small_zpscee2404c.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

That looks awesome!  I REALLY want one of those kits now, just need to stop buying other stuff and save some $$$...

Anyone care to explain to me how the couplings work?  I don't see a hook, chain, or anything other than what looks like a pivoted buffer...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the "likes" and comments Guys.  I don't want to reopen the resin debate, but I'M perfectly happy with it, and the level of detail is superb.

Couplings are adapted Slaters, from their Leek & Manifold loco kit.  I've filled in the slot so that the Fleischman & Airfix couplings fitted to my rolling stock

can attach to it, merely by hooking over the top edge.  Not fantastic but it works reliably.  I have some Zamzoodled couplings  http://www.zamzoodled.co.uk/  but I didn't want to butcher them.

Ultimately I would like to switch entirely to Zamzoodled couplings, but with over fifty items of rolling stock that would be quite an undertaking. 

All the best,

Dave.

Hi, what a super job you have made of the BGM.  As to lightness, all the photos I have of the prototype in France have triangular blocks fitted between the jackshaft cover and the rear of the front buffer beam to provide a large flat step.  Being silly I thought they were knocked up from a bit of wood (sleeper perhaps) in the field, but having looked closely at a couple of photos  I now think, since they are so similar that possibly they are cast iron?   The only thing missing from your model is the front handrail attached to the front bonnet sides beside the radiator.  I have attached a photo to show this .  Also most carried a Shrapnel guard to protect the radiator. These were a sloping slab of plate about 1/2" thick, more weight.

post-10830-0-64334000-1396351801_thumb.jpg This shows a BGM made from a Wrightscale 16mm to foot kit by a master- the late Henry Holdesworth.  It shows the front step infill, the bonnet handrail and a very posh shapnel guard. Most guards were a slab of armour plate.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much, I had forgotten about the handrail, I will bend one up tonight.  

I had spotted the infills in some photos and wondered whether they were a step or a weight, you have convinced that they are both.  I'll file up some blocks of whitemetal to fit.

I probably won't worry about the shrapnel-guard though.

All the best,

Dave.

I doubt it

Anything to mask that lump of resin :D :D

Actually I am expecting Dave's usual very high standard of painting finish. I cannot find fault with the build and am certainly not one to find fault with the painting. Of course I'll probably choke on the weathering - but that is so so objective.

What I want to know is ... what's up next?

Looking at this build, the materials used for each part of the model do make it a well designed kit.

The level of detail on the bonnet would be difficult to etch or cast in white metal. Having built a large number of kits that include resin in some parts, resin gets my vote.

Well done with a first class build.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at this build, the materials used for each part of the model do make it a well designed kit.

The level of detail on the bonnet would be difficult to etch or cast in white metal. Having built a large number of kits that include resin in some parts, resin gets my vote.

Well done with a first class build.  Simon

Thanks very much Simon  And I quite agree on the resin factor, the detail level is amazing.

What about a new layout ??????

Well I've always got plans afoot, but I haven't run any of the ideas past the wife yet!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having bored everybody at the Taunton Members Day with the Baldwin, I had better put some photos up.  

Its pretty much finished, but there's always a bit more weathering to add, plus worksplates and a driver, and I've just remembered I haven't done the handrail on the bonnet front.

1801883188_P1050719small.jpg.69d3f4acb48cdc12dfeb4e434f9514c3.jpg

669081404_P1050720small.jpg.08fb325756bce96f9a066c97352c907d.jpg

1130679943_P1050721small.jpg.2eeeee2256b551630146683e7299c619.jpg

1889707259_P1050723small.jpg.dff7659ca38365df5730a17bc155face.jpg

And here's one before the cab rear and roof were fitted.

834051685_IMG_4817small.jpg.246f4742f92ef37d8647a64ca1be44d0.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Stu, its becoming a bit of a tradition (well, second time) that my newest loco has a demonstration run on your layout at Taunton

Shepherds/Treamble is developing very nicely.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

That looks really good now. "never know it has a resin bonnet"

To me it sits very well in that red.

Thanks Peter,

The red colour by the way, is Railmatch GW Indian-Red.  A very pleasing shade, although one I expected to be more orangey brown.

Bufferbeams and motion are Railmatch Bufferbeam-Red.

Cheers, Dave.