Websters Steel

Alcanman

Hi,

I thought I'd start of this layout thread with a pic.

Of course every pic tells a story.......

post-7898-0-44673600-1303055199_thumb.jpg

Here we see a Transrail Class 37 approaching Websters Steel sidings.

On the left of the photo is a Websters sales rep with his arms folded, and not a happy bunny.

Why, you may ask - well, the recession has hit the steel industry and instead of receiving BMWs,

the reps have got Skodas!:angry: Even worse, the guy on the left drew the short straw and got the Fabia,

his mate the Octavia.;)

More pics in the next instalment of Websters Steel

cheers,

Mal

Thanks Jack,

The building is a Hornby Skaledale 'Modern Industrial Unit', ready built and painted. It just needed placing on the layout.

It was in a sale at Hattons, so didn't cost much

It also provided a name for the layout as I could'nt think of a anything else.

regards,

Mal

Thanks Jack,

The building is a Hornby Skaledale 'Modern Industrial Unit', ready built and painted. It just needed placing on the layout.

It was in a sale at Hattons, so didn't cost much

It also provided a name for the layout as I could'nt think of a anything else.

regards,

Mal

Well it certainly fits well in there - very nice

Best

Jack

Why, you may ask - well, the recession has hit the steel industry and instead of receiving BMWs,

the reps have got Skodas!:angry: Even worse, the guy on the left drew the short straw and got the Fabia,

his mate the Octavia.;)

Don't knock fabia's ive got one and its great! ;)

I like it, the grass along the track is very convincing. I like the lighting, is that natural light?

Hi,

It is natural lighting.

I like Octavias too, they're the most comfortable taxis around.

The Skodas were the only modern cars I could find, and the Mercedes Sprinter van I found by chance

at a swapmeet.

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Here's the story of how Websters Steel began.

About 2 years ago searching for inspiration for a new layout, I discovered RMWeb.

I was drawn to 'DCC topics' as more layouts were appearing at exhibitions featuring sound fitted Diesels and I

I wanted a new challenge.

Then my brother took up the hobby and went straight into DCC. I tried my 1 DCC fitted loco on his layout and I was hooked!

Many RMWebbers were recommending the NCE Power Cab, so I bought one as it seemed ideal for my small shunting layout.

Next problem was tackling DCC wiring. Again loads of info on RMWeb was invaluable to an old modeller who had learnt DC wiring

PECO style many years ago!

Next a track plan was needed on my usual footprint of 9ft x 15ins. I wanted something simple as this was my first attempt at DCC.

By chance I saw on of my favourite layouts, Anderstaff Yard, at my local exhibition. I still had a copy of RM Feb 2006 which featured Anderstaff.

A run-around loop and a couple of sidings for steel traffic would suffice. Here is the track plan I came up with:

post-7898-0-67810800-1303151791_thumb.jpg

I already had a Bachmann Transrail Class 37 with factory fitted decoder, so that would do to start with. Here it is:

post-7898-0-46126700-1303152155_thumb.jpg

Watch this space for more Websters Steel

regards,

Mal

Mal,

Nice looking layout. I fear you may have started a skoda riot though....!

I dunno about a 'Skoda riot'- I turned to the USian's choice for info about UK vehicles - Top Gear, of course -and they seemed quite favorably disposed to both the Skoda Octavia & Fabia. I don't know if May, Clarkson, or Hammond actually wrote the reviews themselves, but they did have a Top Gear segment on-line where Clarkson in a diesel Skoda Fabia vRS raced against Hammond in a gas petro Mini Cooper - the Mini lost by a fair margin...We don't have Skoda in the US, but apparently our VW Jettas are kinda based on the same platform.

Non-Top-Gear question about locomotive liveries

BTW, does a relatively clean looking Transrail class 37 limit this layout to 1994-1996 or so? Did EWS repaint its locomotives fairly quickly? I knonw there was at least one (sort of beat-looking) Transrail 37 as of 2004 (Wiki image for Trans-Rail), but as I have mentioned in Overseas Prototypes forum, when US Class I railroads merged with or brought out other railroads (especially in the 1980s/1990s merger boom), the locomotives were quickly "re-patched" with new reporting marks, until they were eventually repainted (or sold off etc) - did this happen during the sell-off of British Rail?

I dunno about a 'Skoda riot'- I turned to the USian's choice for info about UK vehicles - Top Gear, of course -and they seemed quite favorably disposed to both the Skoda Octavia & Fabia. I don't know if May, Clarkson, or Hammond actually wrote the reviews themselves, but they did have a Top Gear segment on-line where Clarkson in a diesel Skoda Fabia vRS raced against Hammond in a gas petro Mini Cooper - the Mini lost by a fair margin...We don't have Skoda in the US, but apparently our VW Jettas are kinda based on the same platform.

BTW, does a relatively clean looking Transrail class 37 limit this layout to 1994-1996 or so? Did EWS repaint its locomotives fairly quickly? I knonw there was at least one (sort of beat-looking) Transrail 37 as of 2004 (Wiki image for Trans-Rail), but as I have mentioned in Overseas Prototypes forum, when US Class I railroads merged with or brought out other railroads (especially in the 1980s/1990s merger boom), the locomotives were quickly "re-patched" with new reporting marks, until they were eventually repainted (or sold off etc) - did this happen during the sell-off of British Rail?

The Skoda joke was a bit of a 1970s thing here in the UK. I've actually own one myself, except it the chassis/platform is underneath a VW Golf body.;)

I'm no expert on Transrail but I believe some were re-patched and some still carried the livery into EWS ownership.

cheers,

Mal

The Skoda joke was a bit of a 1970s thing here in the UK. I actually own one myself, except the chassis/platform is underneath a VW Golf body.;)

I'm no expert on Transrail but I believe some were re-patched and some still carried the livery into EWS ownership.

cheers,

Mal

The Skoda joke was a bit of a 1970s thing here in the UK. I've actually own one myself, except it the chassis/platform is underneath a VW Golf body.;)

The Fabia iirc is based on the VW Polo chassis, and the same VW engines/ecu/vagcom too (apart from the earlier Fabias like mine which had Skoda chain drive engines).

Kelly

Hi,

Time to get back to the trains, I think.:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of Transrail 37799 'Sir Dyfed/County of Dyfed' taken in 1999, well into EWS ownership. The Transrail lettering stickers have been removed but the wording can still be seen

underneath. Behind is 37429 'Eisteddfod Genedlaethol' in regional railways livery.

Two Welsh locos have invaded Hogwarts County. The train is one of my local favourites, the North Blyth - Fort Willam ALCAN tanks, the location Bedlington on the Blyth & Tyne.

post-7898-0-70383800-1303213012_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal Canman

[/b]BTW, does a relatively clean looking Transrail class 37 limit this layout to 1994-1996 or so?

It doesn't but the loco's OHLE warning stickers limit it to pre August 1998.

Re Skodas - the VRS versions of the Octavias and Fabias are effortlessly cool I think :)

Hi,

Time to get back to the trains, I think.:rolleyes:

Here's a pic of Transrail 37799 'Sir Dyfed/County of Dyfed' taken in 1999, well into EWS ownership. The Transrail lettering stickers have been removed but the wording can still be seen

underneath. Behind is 37429 'Eisteddfod Genedlaethol' in regional railways livery.

Two Welsh locos have invaded Hogwarts County. The train is one of my local favourites, the North Blyth - Fort Willam ALCAN tanks, the location Bedlington on the Blyth & Tyne.

post-7898-0-70383800-1303213012_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal Canman

Hi Mal

Both these locos were allocated to Motherwell TMD at the time and were regulars on Scottish freight trains

regrads

Dave

Hi,

After some interesting off topic comments, I thought it was time to return to the story.

With the layout plan decided, and my NCE Power cab and 37672 tested, it was time for track laying and DCC wiring.

Using my usual PECO code 100 with electrofrog points, essential in my opinion for slow shunting,I was pleasantly surprised when

everything worked first time, with only a few minor track adjustments.

Track was painted using Humbrol 'Chocolate' (personally I prefer Cadburys ;) ) with a dash of grey, a mix of Woodland Scenics fine grey and brown for ballast.

Inspired by Sir Nevard's 'Cement Quay' I used air clay painted with grey emulsion for ground/road surfaces and also used, for the first time, Silfor grass tufts - an excellent

product.

The Hornby Skaledale' modern industrial unit' fitted perfectly along with some low relief recycled Pikestuff warehouses. Wills brick sheets painted with Precision Paints

'Engineering Brick Blue' filled the remaining space around the layout.

Next I needed a mate for 37672 and, of course, it had to be sound fitted, as this was my main reason for starting DCC.

The only really suitable candidate for the early 90's was Bachmann's Railfreight 37693. This was purchased and then the real fun began.:rolleyes:

Here it is making it's first appearance:

post-7898-0-68781800-1303293529_thumb.jpg

You might have noticed the rather unusual couplings. Originally, I wanted to use Kadees, however, problems with these on British outline stock is well documented,

and I gave up, frustrated.

I'd seen continental style couplings used by Roger Nicholls for manual uncoupling, so I tried this and it worked fine for shunting. They look no worse than tension locks

or Kadees.

Hope you enjoy,

cheers,

Mal

That very first pic is just great!! I love the subtle social divisions depicted - the 'Suits' and the 'Workers' keeping a distinct distance from each other... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting take on the couplings issue - you seem to have removed the 'loop' from the loco? Do tell more..!

Interesting take on the couplings issue - you seem to have removed the 'loop' from the loco? Do tell more..!

Without removing the loop, continental couplings are, like tension lock couplings, fiddley to uncouple manually.

By removing the loop at one end of each item of rolling stock, and facing in the same direction, you can simply lift a loop

from the next wagon. The couplings also have a spring action which holds the loop in place, so accidental uncoupling

is rare. I first saw this used on Roger Nicholls 'Autenbach', so I thought I'd try with british stock, borrowing couplers from

some of my continenal stock.

post-7898-0-66658000-1303304696_thumb.jpg

The couplers can easily be removed from the british stock and returned to the continental stock as they push fit into

the NEM pockets.

regards,

Mal

Interesting, I've used the Euro-couplers on my Tilcon JGA's as they offer a shorter distance between the buffer heads than the tension locks fitted.

Anderstaff Yard is also one of my favourite layouts, glad it has inspired others.

I will follow this one with interest, not least because a Steel Stockholder/Fabrication business was an option for "Castle Fenton".

Keep it up fella!

C6T.

By removing the loop at one end of each item of rolling stock, and facing in the same direction, you can simply lift a loop

from the next wagon. The couplings also have a spring action which holds the loop in place, so accidental uncoupling

is rare...

Thanks for that explanation! I'd always thought of 'Continental' couplings in the same way as tension-locks I suppose, with something of a 'negative' feel about them, from when I had a go at British HO, and the very early Lima models had them, complete with huuuuuge gap between buffers!!. Very interesting to see them used as the coupler of choice, and of course NEM mounts make it much easier these days. :)

Hi Mal,

Nice railfreight tractor you have there i've had a few 693's now but opted to re-number those to different tractors usually going for the last railfreight grey 37's in service those been 690 & 691 luved both of em until EPS got there hands on them!:unsure: anyways you could buy another dcc ready of ebay or another sound 693 and re-number to another beast then you have a pair of yellow tractors ;)

Also liking the idea of the continental couplings i may try this with my stock two as i have tons spare from all the roco jouef stuff i bought over the years.

Cheers, Rick.

Hi,

This morning I dug out my Hornby Alcan PCAs to go with 37693 for a full F5 notch up tractor thrash on by brother's new large loft based layout.:rolleyes:

Tomorrow will be the first time I've had the opportunity to try this out as it isn't possible in 9ft. I can't wait :rolleyes:

Here's a pic

post-7898-0-90823500-1303410732_thumb.jpg

37693 has a Kadee front coupling with the trip pin removed. This gives yet another alternative for manual uncoupling with the benefit of gentle coupling

not usually possible with continental or tension locks.

cheers,

Mal

Archived