Torrington Mk 1 and Torrington Mk 2

darren01

Hi 

Well i must say getting the award was a big shock!, And doing the show has given me a lot of new ideas for the layout.

I have started doing some of the buildings again,as these where made over six years ago and i know now i can make better models.

First building that i will do is the milk pumping shed, because at the time i built it i only had one photo to work from,since then some new photos came to light!.

I would like to thank Andy and the BRM team for inviting use up for the weekend and Chris for being a big help over the weekend, could not have done it without you, Now got the exhibition bug! . 

Here are a few photo's from the show.

Darren

post-6929-0-78478300-1411257888_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-83964600-1411257916_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-72891300-1411258171_thumb.jpg

I think the modeller always knows as they go along that things can be improved. often during or immediately after they have finished one style of doing an individual part...it is part of the learning curve. It is almost inevitable that as you do more you pay more attention and the practise improves your art. There is the 10000 hour rule, of course, Which basically says if you practise enough you can achieve mastery in a field.

I took so many pictures because there are so many beautiful elements in your layout, and I think you are well on the way to this 'mastery'. There needs to be a balance, some skills will inevitably out do others, but the elements in your layout draw together nicely.. And I think you have addressed many aspects here, which give it a wonderful flow.

I am inclined to think if you are actually satisfied with something, that you cannot improve.It's more this will do for now....there is something else needs doing first LOL.

Shall look forward to the new milk pumping shed. Please post pictures of the build.

of the picture I took, this one was my actual favourite

med_gallery_17883_3195_471446.jpg

I love the depth you have brought to this area, and the suggestion of dandelions...and the new gate  and gate post.(now I look again part of the fence here is loose....but hey your an exhibition layout. This spot with some deep shadows is likely to be indistinguishable from the real thing, even with the damaged fence. The suggestion some kids have been messing and just run off would cover this.

Out of curiosity what does the black 'arm' on the gate post depict?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren

Congrates on the award. The first time that I think I've seen Darren lost for words at the award ceremony at RMWeb Live!!

Good to read that you have the 'bug' for exhibitions, careful can be quite addictive!

Therei is usually always something to do on a layout and making changes where your skills improve can be a good idea, but don't do too much as this can detract from the overall view of the layout.

Can I make suggestion though - might be a good idea to have a name board across the lights so that the layout can be identified from across an exhibition hall.

Anyway, hope to see you out with Torrington again! Perhaps we can persuade you to bring along to the Barnstaple show next July??

Out of curiosity what does the black 'arm' on the gate post depict?

Hi Jaz 

The black arms are gate supports, to stop the gate from sagging down,seen a few gates down here with this attachment on them.

Glad you like the layout!.

Darren

Hi 

Bit of an up date, the large curve that ran round to the bridge is no more!

Here a  few photo's of the P way gang tacking up the track, the bridge section i will keep and use for taking photo's of my stock.

Darren

post-6929-0-74572100-1411322203_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-94729100-1411322275_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-84164300-1411322285_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

STEVE LAMACQ and me talking about how i built the loco shed for Torrington.

That's a good one for a caption competition Darren, sort of  ...

'I always eat the sandwiches before using the container to make buildings, helps keep the mice off the layout if you do it that way'

Sorry - a difficult one to resist

Hi 

I have started work on the milk pumping house, as i was not happy with the one i made a few years ago.

Also i have some new photo come to light recently showing the building a lot better, so this is what i have done so far,still a bit of work to do. 

post-6929-0-87410400-1411502767_thumb.jpg

Hi 

Here is the milk pumping shed painted and weathered,still a little bit to do.

Hope you like it.

Darren01

I like the corrugated as well, and the well used dairy look works for me too.

Hope you don't mind I copied this one of the three picture you put up as my answer is on the next new leaves no reference photo.

post-6929-0-98168000-1411853287_thumb.jp

Hi 

The Milk Pumping Shed is now on the layout, Just need to add pipe work from the shed to the the over head pumps.

Thinking about having a light near the door?'

Hope you like it.

Darren

PS. Found this old photo, King Arthur Class,sitting in Torrington yard,1959.

post-6929-0-89118100-1412451754_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-93872400-1412451766_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-69383400-1412451940_thumb.jpg

Archived