Torrington Mk 1 and Torrington Mk 2

darren01

Darren, I admire your work and Torrington itself.

But why is that beautifully made shed weathered so heavily?

Was it really like that?

And if so, what led to that condition?

Nothing else at Torrington looks as bad as that.

Just a friendly inquiry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know where you're coming from with that comment Gary but there are / were many tin sheds around the UK as well.  That on Torrington, which I have now had the twin pleasures of both seeing and operating, looks superb.  Though the loose panels creak in the wind with a broad Devonian accent and not an Aussie twang ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

It has been a while since i up dated this, so here go's......

As you may have seen i have taken down and recycled part of it back in to the new area, the curve i used a track setter ,36" R.

This curve run's all my large loco's at a slow speed without any binding,the last one i built i had two tight spots, so this time none.

I  have laid the track on 5mm foam and ballasted the track with a mix of 2mm C+L  ballast.as you can see i decided to to curve the head shunt this time.I am going to do the scenic's all the way round to the fiddle yard, I have a few plans so far of what it will look like?

I have got it all wired up and working and able to run round to the hidden sidings, which is also much bigger than the old one i had.

Also i have been working on a PW train for the layout and have all most finished it this week, just need to finish the Dogfish wagon. 

It been good to give all my loco's a good run again, mind you went up there the other night to do some wagon's, but ended up playing with the layout for three hour's  ( No wagon's got done),But that what it is all about?.

Well here are some photo's of the state of play so far, Hope you like them.

Darren01

post-6929-0-47360000-1415390011_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-82316800-1415390033_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-00189500-1415390042_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-60664400-1415390057_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-82644700-1415390067_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-12152000-1415390095_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-33464600-1415401435_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Today i have been working on the milk pumping shed,as i was sent a color photo of it, As i had originally worked from a BW photo.

So have repainted it in the right color now , also i have been working on new yard lamps for the layout. (should have them in later today)

i decided to remove the the wood fence along the front of the layout,this i am going to replace with a hedge row, this i think will look a lot better, was never really happy with  the fence.

Most of today was spent doing the fitted freight wagons, I have been putting on vac pipes and finishing the under frames on some of them.

Here are a few photo's of how things look at the moment.

The chap standing out side the milk shed was a worker from the creamery,that had to load and wash the milk tankers.

Darren

post-6929-0-00155200-1416100959_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-80439500-1416101043_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-11108800-1416101053_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-03587100-1416101070_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren, thanks for the great pics, I love the new Fiddle Yard, I took LOADS of pics of the Layout at RM Web Live but as the room was so dark NONE came out, which was a great shame.

All the best and looking forward to seeing just what you come up with on the scenics side.

Hi

Since setting the layout back up and sorting out the fiddle yard, i have spent a lot more time in there.

The only down side to this is that i am not doing the work on the layout as fast as i would like, the thing that is getting in the way is,Playing with the layout too much.

Having cleaned out the railway room i found a lot of stuff that i had brought over the years and packed away and forgotten about!.

I have got enough things to do to keep me going for a few years, i have been unable to place the yard lamps in yet , need to get some more glue.

I have been working a bit more on my P way train, here a photo on the Dancehall i made.

The new part of the layout i have been working on a few ideas of how this will look, One thing i was thinking of putting was a small Holt, based on the ones down here. The lamps in the shed area have now been removed and covered over.

well on with working/playing with the layout,here are a few photo's.

Darren

post-6929-0-59738000-1416256695_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-35313400-1416256712_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-76673800-1416256731_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-94718300-1416256752_thumb.jpg

Hi 

Today i have been working on the milk pumping shed,as i was sent a color photo of it, As i had originally worked from a BW photo.

So have repainted it in the right color now , also i have been working on new yard lamps for the layout. (should have them in later today)

i decided to remove the the wood fence along the front of the layout,this i am going to replace with a hedge row, this i think will look a lot better, was never really happy with  the fence.

Most of today was spent doing the fitted freight wagons, I have been putting on vac pipes and finishing the under frames on some of them.

Here are a few photo's of how things look at the moment.

The chap standing out side the milk shed was a worker from the creamery,that had to load and wash the milk tankers.

Darren

Hi Darren

It looks you a derailment on your hands, the M7 looks as if it has derailed. I wouldn't put the milk shad there in the middle of the track mate.

It is looking great Darren keep up the good work.

Have been working on this little shunter tractor for Torrington yard, I saw a photo of one of these that was used as an experiment in the 1950's film on YouTube.

So i had a go at doing this one, but i don't think the staff like it very much, One was used at Marland clay works for pushing round clay truck for a while.

Got a photo of an Arthur,well it is a nice model, i brought this second hand a while back and the only thing wrong with it is one of the doors on the tender is missing,so will have to find a new one?.

I have done more work on the Holt, hope to get some photo's up of it soon.

Hope you like the photo's

Darren

post-6929-0-45392400-1417277908_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-53003900-1417277916_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-09420700-1417277926_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Darren

As a recently new RMWeb-er, I have only just come across your inspirational thread and read it from start to finish; this took a couple of days, during which I first discovered that you were selling, then that you didn't, and then sadly... nothing.

What has become of Torrington and are you still exhibiting it?

I found the whole thread truly inspirational and a great motivator towards further developing my own modelling skills.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Tony

Hi

I've missed this layout before as I think it was featured before I became an RM Webber all I can do is echo the comments above.

I have just spent the last couple of hours at 'work' reading the complete thread there is some really inspired and inspirational modelling here which has given me much food for thought on my own long planned southern layout.

All the best

Nik

Hi 

I do still have the layout and have not sold it, did have a few interested in buying it, but nothing came of it.

Having got back into doing model railways (Last time was when i was in my teens) Torrington was my first  serious go at doing a layout.

Since finishing Torrington i have um and ah of what to build next and even started a few layouts but lost interest on them and gave up, 

But today i was talking to a very good friend on the way back from the Exeter show and he hit apon something, he said that all my stock is been done for this line and my modeling over the years has got a lot better, IE, i can now build my own track, my buildings have got much better, and i now know a lot more than i did when i first built Torrington.

So i am going to do Torrington again, but this time with hand built track, new buildings that will i hope be better than the last ones i did, better scenery, Reason i was never happy with the end result and i know i could do it a lot better now and this time make it a proper exhibition layout, as Torrington MK 1 was never intended to be a exhibition  layout.

I will start a now thread on Torrington Mk 2 on here, I must thank everyone who has supported me and given me advice over the time i was building Torrington and for all the kind comments as well, I thank you.

So Torrington MK 1 will other be sold on or broken up and new boards are going to be made for Torrington MK 2, I plan to have Torrington MK 2 finished within five years and will be the best i can do and i hope to push the bar even higher than before!.

So if anyone is interested in buying Torrington MK 1 before Dr Beeching send in the contractor in i am open to sensible offers,please PM

me.

Darren01

• RMweb Premium

All the best for Torrington 2 Darren.  If I were closer I'd be in touch about the Mk1 version but it's quite impractical to consider shipping it out here.  I had plenty of that kind of fun bringing Boghouses around the world!

Hi Darren

As I said in the car don't make it to long and make it easy to put up and take down at exhibitions, you know how easy it is to put Yard Shunter and Hounslow Sidings up.

Exhibition Managers are always looking for gap fillers and looking for cost.

Have fun building it Darren.

Will be following it with interest.

Archived