Idle Speculation and the Hornby Announcement

Caledonian

Southern-side, I think Hornby should hurry up and produce the Maunsell 3P sets. You buy one and you need to buy the other two to make a set.....good marketting! For those not in the know, these fixed formation 3-coach sets ran all over the place and in particular on the Somerset & Dorset.

Larry

Coachman, are these the "Low Window" versions of the Maunsells that SO FAR have only been available in LSWR/Southern Railway liveries as opposed to the BR colour schemes?

Jim

While Hornby will have already decided their 2010 programme I wonder if they (and others based on Chinese manufacture) are going to be very careful about what they announce?

Many modellers are already muttering about higher prices for locos and Hornby are going to have to make proper adjustment now for the fall in the value of the ?? after taking a fairly hard hit on it this year. Add to that increasing pressure in the financial world for an upward movement in the price of the Chinese currency and we could see a further surge upwards in prices - even if oil and other raw materials stay at a reasonable cost.

Perhaps this might mean that Hornby will be less adventurous in the coming year - or at least until they see which way the wind is blowing? Or might they go for lower ticket items in order to sustain marketability?

This line of reasoning might lead to some more items in the Railroad Range - which is exclusively populated by reusing old tooling and saving costs with cheaper paint jobs.

For the reasons you state, prices are not going to come down on new product introductions. Given their recent financial performance and the on-going situation with their Chinese manufacturer, I think that their announcements this year - just like last year - will be fairly modest, but interesting nevertheless.

If ever Hornby contemplates producing coaches to run with its new GW 'Castle' I doubt they will be Hawksworth stock. More likely to be Collett 57' coaches to cover the same 1923 - 60's span as the 'Castle' variations IMO.

Larry

Larry, I like your logic here. As a GWR modeller (as distinct from a BR(WR) modeller) Collett coaches have much greater appeal to me than Hawksworth. Nevertheless, as was pointed out on the prior incarnation of RMWeb, the new Castle very much represents later Castle variants - rather than the 1923 - 1936 versions.

That combined with the popularity of Hawksworth coaches in the polls makes a strong case for the Hawksworth coaches. I think the livery for Tintagel Castle might be a tip-off as to what kind of coaches Hornby might make. I've been watching, but other than "GWR green", I've not seen anything more specific about what period Tintagel Castle will represent.

As to the other releases. We should expect more Commonwealth A4s. Remaining are:

• 60009 Union of South Africa
  • 60010 Dominion of Canada
  • 60011 Empire of India

Though 60009 might already be a Collectors' Club item - I can't remember. I would expect these to be in BR green.

Then there will be Pete Waterman models. I also expect these in BR green. Perhaps an A3 and a Schools - that would round out each region.

• RMweb Gold

That combined with the popularity of Hawksworth coaches in the polls makes a strong case for the Hawksworth coaches. I think the livery for Tintagel Castle might be a tip-off as to what kind of coaches Hornby might make. I've been watching, but other than "GWR green", I've not seen anything more specific about what period Tintagel Castle will represent.

Absolutely spot on Ox.We are still none the wiser.

• RMweb Gold

Not what I'm wishing for in an ideal world, but I reckon:

1. Hymek into the Railroad range

2. A loco-driven 28xx

3. An inside cylinder 440 based on the T9 - perhaps a Director or Claud Hamilton, if not something Southern.

4. Hawksworth or Collett coaches

5. Either Duke of Gloucester or a GWR Star - chassis already available

Seems a reasonable list of possiblilities, from where I'm sitting (with a large whisky in my hand).

Hornby may have gone for the Hawksworth tender because they have it and because it distances the new 'Castle' from their previous incarnations. But you can bet your life one of the early versions will follow at some point with scalloped inside cylinder cover etc. A boxed GWR set would require appropriate coaches.

That is why my bet goes on 1920's coaches, suitable for running with every variation of 'Castle' Hornby chooses to produce. Mid to late 1930's GWR Sunshine stock has already been done by Bachmann, and Hawksworth's are BR.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby may have gone for the Hawksworth tender because they have it and because it distances the new 'Castle' from their previous incarnations. But you can bet your life one of the early versions will follow at some point with scalloped inside cylinder cover etc. A boxed GWR set would require appropriate coaches.

I'm assuming - hoping - that the Hawksworth tender is an entirely new tooling as the ex-Dapol one has an inaccurate wheelbase.

That is why my bet goes on 1920's coaches, suitable for running with every variation of 'Castle' Hornby chooses to produce. Mid to late 1930's GWR Sunshine stock has already been done by Bachmann, and Hawksworth's are BR.

Make sense to me - and I hope they don't do Centenary stock as that's what I'm working on now!

I think theres an outside chance that Hornby might produce Duke of Gloucester as a one off - mainly because Bachmann are leading on prototypes with Deltic, followed by Heljan. If Bachmann carry on with the NRM collection - meaning that Truro is the obvious choice next for the same treatment, then Hornby would move to do something similar and choose the Duke.

I think the price increase wouldnt be detracted by the fact that quite a few people want this as a model.

But I also think that given up grades to the A3, A4, Gresley stock and the M7 chassis being similar to a G5, that Hornby is moving to model the eastern region next as a mass area. Question now would be which area... im hoping its NER - but its all a combination of educated guess work and forlorn hope!

• RMweb Gold

My guess is a GWR 64XX and an LNER L1

David

I agree regarding the former (whether it be 54XX, 64XX or 74XX - or a mixture thereof), I think Mr Kohler was showing a bit of interest in that lot when I spoke to him at the Swindon 'Steam' exhibition (but then he might just have been trailing red herrings, or trying to avoid a lynching :) .

I'm assuming - hoping - that the Hawksworth tender is an entirely new tooling as the ex-Dapol one has an inaccurate wheelbase.

It would be very nice to see the earlier Castles modelled accurately - and it looks like the tooling is capable of it. Hopefully one will be announced in the 2010 catalogue!

Incidentally the Hawksworth tender will (so far) only be available with one of the BR liveried Castles. It was documented on the old RMWeb and I have forgotten which one.

Make sense to me - and I hope they don't do Centenary stock as that's what I'm working on now!

Surely they're not going to do Centenary?? :blink: I like Coachmann's idea that it will be Collett coaches. Of course my own narrow preference is for Churchward toplights in a mid-1920s Collett livery - but I'm not predicting that! All this is assuming that this is the year for GWR coaches, and we've been disappointed before.

• RMweb Premium

Oh goody, a wish list, just like old times. I want a .....

Sorry, old habits die hard. If I was to speculate I'd say that there may be swing towards the pre-group era, the T9 and M7 look rather spiffing in their pre-Southern finery. I wouldn't pay any heed to the notion of common chassis being used across a range of models (apart perhaps from the Railroad re-releases) as the savings aren't as big as one would imagine, common components like motors ensure savings are made at sub assembly level and therefore dilute the further potential for cost cutting. I would like to bet that there will be theme building involved, by either adding to what's already in the range or by releasing complemetary models.

If I had to go specific I'd be thinking Adams radial or Ilfracombe goods.

Much as I would love to see upgraded 91s and 90s, these won't make enough money for Hornby, especially in the current climate.

What I think will make money is the railroad range, and I'm banking on a Railroad Britannia (probably 70000 and maybe 70013) as guaranteed money in the bank. Looking forward to these if so.

• RMweb Gold

Personally my big hope is that Hornby will announce that they are entering the N gauge market. Probably the least likely of the wishes listed so far but I can dream. biggrin.gif

*cough* Dapol *cough*

Coincidence or otherwise, Dapol seem to be doing the N guage version of Hornby's range - probably to avoid too much duplication versus the Farish range. So no, I don't think Hornby will expand into N (apart from Lyddle End buildings).

I'm not going to speculate, just would like the OTA timber wagons to make a prompt appearence rolleyes.gif

How about a Maunsell Pull-Push set (yes, that's the correct way to say it for a Southern set) to go with the P/P fitted M7? Has been talked about before on SEmG/SLHCS and I think Hornby were reported as actively considering it when the Maunsell coaches were "new".

Elliott

As an aside on the N gauge business its instructive to look at what wagons are available in the new edition of Britain's Model Trains and see what's available in N gauge but not so far duplicated in 00. Might be a pointer to the sort of thing we might reasonably expect in the next year or so.

As to new locomotives, I really can't see anything Southern being announced this Christmas and given the Scots, Patriots and Stanier tanks of recent years - not to mention the Clan - the LMS/London Midland Region probably isn't going to see much either unless Hornby pull a blinder with something of Caledonian origin. A loco drive 2P or 4F could be a good bet though in the Railroad Range and the same goes for the Dean Goods.

I would have thought something in the western line to complement the Castle would be a reasonable expectation, and I wouldn't rule out a completely re-tooled Dean Goods, but otherwise I'll leave speculating to those who claim to know what they're talking about.

There are however two interesting areas worth thinking about. Notwithstanding the apparent run down of Gresley coaching stock something in the LNER line could be a distinct possibility, but... As we all know the problem is the lack of standardisation and the difficulty of finding something that will appeal to more than just the East Anglians (no offence). The advantage of the A1/A3s and A4s of course is that they can be used by anybody from Kings Cross to Aberdeen and I'd expect Hornby to go for something equally universal.

A D49 County/Shire would work if Hornby reckon they've cracked 2-2-0, but I'd be inclined to look seriously at the possibility of seeing a B1. Yes Bachmann have got one, but its a bit "tired" and Hornby have demonstrated they're not afraid to go head to head. A totally new tooling to current Hornby standards of detailing with no split chassis limp to grumble about is just the sort of thing they might be tempted to pull.

The other area is something in the shunting line. The horrible old J83 disappeared from last year's catalogue and all they've currently got is the J94, the equally ancient 27XX pannier, the Collet 14XX and the Terrier. Of those only the J94 and Terrier still pass muster, albeit neither scored over 70% in Britains Model Railways, so I reckon that at least one new 0-6-0 shunter to the same standard as the Gronk has to be a pretty strong favourite.

It's back, I'm afraid. Cropped up in a new DCC set last month.

Given the way it was so heavily (and given its awfulness) unaccountably hyped in the 2008 catalogue I suspect that this is just the latest wheeze to get rid of a large stock of horrible old J83s that nobody wants.

Archived