Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

• 3 weeks later...

I will have some piccies to follow later but while away enjoying the garrats on the WHR as well as the ffestiniog and almost a trip up Snowdon - 100 mph winds across the top last Saturday stopping trains!!! I have added clay to the trees around the layout and painted them, makes a mega difference as it covers up the twists of wire.

I have also started the strong box train, I have decided on a pair of wagons with strong box cages one end and a guards post the other running as a pair, the guards on the outer ends. I have the floor cut and have started to drill sections of microstrip for the tops and bottoms of the cages.

Anyway, more later.

SImon

Ok some piccies -

Completed cheapo trees with clay trunks and main branches after painting -

post-3347-0-95790400-1377131197.jpg

post-3347-0-21400000-1377131209.jpg

The start of the strong box wagons as mentioned previously, I have drilled pairs of wooden strips then glued in the posts from florists wire, the top strips are not glued to the posts yet, just fitted to hold them in the right place. I plan to build solid ends with openings, including bars on the inner ends and a seat + steps to the roof for the guard. As for the side doors, I am not sure at the moment whether to build doors of strip and bars, or to make solid doors, probably the barred ones though. 

post-3347-0-50950600-1377131497.jpg

Rather than being mounted onto Peco wagons chassis, I am going to fit these with bogies instead as they would be carrying a heavy load of gold each and an angry Dwarf!!

Anyway tis late, just realised it is 1.30 AM so better get some sleep! That is the trouble when I get into what I am doing, i lose track of time!!

best wishes

Simon

• Like 4

I was not entirely happy with the Dapol couplings at the Barnstaple show, they did not allow for delayed action shunting at all, I know I was also having runnign issues but even despite that, they were not what I want. I have just ordered and received, VERY quick service from Nigal Lawton!!!!, a couple of packs of Greenich couplings to try out -

http://unnycoombelala.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/in-mean-time.html

By the look of the contents of the packet, these are going to be ideal, the idea though, is that you use a black nail for the pivot and wrap steel wire around the dropper for the magnetic operation. I am thinking that I may do this a little differently and use steel wire, a little thicker thant he wire supplied, to make the pivot and the dropper in one piece. will try both ways to see which is easire/better for me.

These couplings do not allow for delayed action but through reading an article in the railway Modeller a while ago, I found that some people add a wire rod poking out of the end of the vehicle just above the coupling to be the 'latch' for delayed action shunting. The idea is that when uncoupled, pulled away slightly and then puched back against the next vehicle with the loop still in the air, the loop will rest on the wire 'latch' while being pushed back before dropping down after being left att he end of a siding. This stops the coupler re-coupling while you shunt.

Another advantage of these against Dapol couplers is that I can fit and use Seep electromagnets like I have on my N gauge layout, Polpendra (alos on RM Web), so will not have the trouble of unintentioanl uncoupling when running over the Dapol magnets fitted at the moment.

Looks more simple than my attempt to describe it. Anyway seems that I have my task for today sorted so I had better get on with it.

Best wishes

Simon

The couplings are great although i have a couple of issues. The pack contains the same quantity of the loops as the mounting plates with the hook and buffing plate so I have made up 10 couplings with loops and 10 couplings with just the hook and buffering plate. This leaves 10 coupling loop etches unused - friustrating waste of etches me thinks!!

So, the next plan is to try making up a simple beam with a buffing plate out of plasticard with a hook mounted on it so I would have one of these on one end and the etched coupler with loop on the other. Not sure at the moment if it will look ok but and hopeful.

post-3347-0-12902800-1378503832.jpg

Mock up plastic hook and buffing plate

Coupling with only the hook and buffing plate

Complete coupling on the right,

Will post piccies when painted and fitted to a wagon but would appreciate views so far.

Simon

Loads of playing later has confirmed it, these are the right couplers to use so I will be ordering more.

I have also just found a gem of a shop sellign some awesome accessories for wargaming, based abroad and not especially cheap, I think an order needs to go their way though!!

http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?seite=home&sprache=gb_

Simon

• Like 1

I have been working on the first of the Pullhobbit coaches, due to size constraints I have ditched the ide of the round doors, instead adding an end door onto a balcony and round windows each side.

post-3347-0-22620700-1379520916.jpg

post-3347-0-05017900-1379520929.jpg

The sides will have beading both horizontally and vertically and will be painted in choc and cream with 'Pullhobbit' signage on each side.

I havve also started to detail the interior, simply so far with block colour, lots more to do -

post-3347-0-95203100-1379520902.jpg

here without the second side in place to allow access for painting and detailing. I am making a stove which will be added where the green floor area and the wall protecting plate can be seen.I am also going to add a table and lots of detail such as bottles, books, a case etc as well as a curtain at the end of the bed area. 

post-3347-0-46636500-1379520889.jpg

Now with the other side in place.

I am planning to construct a pair of these coaches and then run them with an open coach and a luggage van as the special train.

Simon

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

yep, ages since the last update I have been very busy helping to develop another layout for a show coming up as well as my 2 layout, I have 3 shows in 3 weeks with 3 different layouts aaaaargh!!!! Not sure how the hell I found myself in this situation but never mind!

I have been working on the hobbit coaches a little more, they are now fully detailed and have the roofs added, at some point I think lighting may be added but no time for now. As can be seen, I am building a small luggage van to run with then to add to the rake, am rather pleased so far!

Piccies will not upload at the mo, will try again in a bit.

Simon

Trying again with a smaller image -

post-3347-0-47277400-1381669562.jpg

The van is now painted in a matching livery and fitted with a chassis.

The platform on second coach is now done ready to be painted.

The roofs have been painted as well.

Next job is to add the bogie mounts and bogies to the coaches, yeah I know, a cackhanded way of building a coach but never mind. Also a roof for the van and other details like handles and chains etc to finish them off.

I have also ordered more Greenwich couplings for the new stock I am building, speaking aboutcouplings, due to time constraints before the next show, I plan to use the, already fitted, permanent magnets but these are likely to be replaced as some point with electromagnets which will alleviate the possibility of unwanted uncoupling.

Success!!

Simon

• Like 5

this rake is now complete with bogies and chassis under the 3 vehicles. The roofs are also painted.

This evening I am working on constructing 2 more coal wagons as well as a few other 4 wheel goods vehicles.

I ned to sort out and build a couple more vehicles for the engineers train which has the workshop wagon and a water tank wagon so far, am thinging that it needs a wagon of materials and maybe a 4 wheel open coach for the workers to finish it.

Lots to do and sooo little time before the next show at Thorncombe in only a few weeks time.

Simon