NEM sockets/pockets, are they available?

As the first of my SR EMU stock reaches a stage where it might run, the question of couplings must be finally addressed.

The unit in question is a rebuild of an old Kirk 2 BIL and as such the 1:1 was fitted with a single inter-unit central buffer and rubbing plate, so close coupling is no problem.

After spending an age looking at the options, I felt the arrangement on my Bachmann CEP was the best, at least within unit. It has two good features for this application. It is a rigid coupler, so push or pull should be fine, and perhaps equally important, it provides the connections I want for my motor/trailer pick-up arrangement.

Are sockets available for these couplers? I have read of Roco doing an NEM socket, but their own web site does not seem to make reference to such parts.

Alternatively, a home-brew urethane resin cast item will be the answer.

Opinions welcome, Peter

• RMweb Gold

Another option for electrical coupling between coaches might be a miniature plug and socket such as this one from Bromsgrove Models. Although there are conductive couplings available I would have thought you don't need these for a permanently-coupled unit so this one might be simpler.

Connectors

DCC Supplies do a conductive coupling version

Brelec Coupling

Peter,

For Liss Forest Depot we are using the Bachmann accessory #36-027. The item is described as Couplings NEM Shaft Cranked with Pocket. The problem is, however, that Bachmann don't expect them to be available for six months or so. Tony found a supply somewhere on the webby thing.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

For Liss Forest Depot we are using the Bachmann accessory #36-027. The item is described as Couplings NEM Shaft Cranked with Pocket. The problem is, however, that Bachmann don't expect them to be available for six months or so. Tony found a supply somewhere on the webby thing.

Those are shown on the Parkside Dundas page, too - and they also say supply Aug/Sept, so much the same news.

Thank-you all for suggestions given, it is now unlikely that I will need to make any castings!

The Parkside Dundas items seem to be worth investigating, with a potential perhaps of adding electrical connections to use the Bachmann 36-063 drawbars. The Brelec couplings sound good, but at £10 per pair seem a bit expensive. Were I to opt for independent plugs, rather than an item integral with the coupling, for the suburbans/semi-fast stock, I would perhaps opt for a roof level plug, using the inter coach connections as per original.

The project is very much cost orientated, indeed a thread entitled 'BIL on a Budget' is being prepared, hopefully to help those like myself who have to think about spending £10 for a part, but are able to devote several hours to making that part.

Thanks again, Peter

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Bachmann short NEM Mk 2 coupling when its released.Item 36 -061.I will use it on my Hornby Maunsell van Cs to shorten the gap if possible.It sounds promising.

Roco 40343 and Roco 40344 are close-coupling mechanisms with NEM pockets. They likely won't fit on any bogie stock due to clearance issues. I've used the 40343s on LWB wagons and 4w coaches/vans, and I've used 40344s on Lima Mk3 coaches, but I haven't found much else that they will work with.

The Keen Systems close couplers effectively have NEM pockets without a bottom.

I've used Roco 40345 4-pole NEM couplers to connect DMUs together electrically.

Adrian

Archived