RAILEX NORTH EAST 2011

North Eastern

Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society would like to welcome you all to our 43rd Anniversary Exhibition. Starting out as the Blyth & District Model Railway Society, we changed our name last year to reflect the growing area our members come from. We now have over 80 members and a club house in excess of 9000 sq ft.

We would like to welcome you back to our venue at The Parks Sports Centre, in North Shields. As you will see the exhibition is all on one level making it more accessible to everyone.

This year we have a 'North Eastern Railway' theme to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the North Eastern Railway Association. The Association was formed in 1961 to promote interest in the North Eastern Railway, its constituents and successors up to the present day, together with the smaller independent and industrial railways that operated alongside the main line system.

This year we have up to 43 layouts representing layouts with a North Eastern theme as well as layouts from other parts of the country as well as the world ranging from Z Gauge to Gauge 1. We also have 19 Demonstrations, covering most aspects of modelling and displays in Meccano. We believe this is our biggest and hopefully best exhibition to date. Also this year we have numerous layouts and demonstrations showing the latest technology in Model Railways – Digital Command Control (DCC). Please take your time to visit all parts of the Exhibition, and ask the exhibitors as many questions as you like. We also have a fine array of Local and National Trade support this year. There will be something for everyone so please give them your support.

A wide range of food and refreshments are provided by the Sports Centre catering staff in the Cafe. Stop by for some refreshments and a bite to eat whilst you take a break from watching the trains go by.

This year we have our usual Tombola. This way you get your prizes straight away. There are many fine prizes this year including Loco’s donated by Hornby and Dapol. So please stop by admire the prizes and buy a ticket or two. There is also our usual stand of used magazines available for a donation.

Special thanks must go to North Tyneside Council for their invaluable support in helping us arrange this exhibition at The Parks Sport Centre.

Special thanks once again to Northumbrian Water Limited (who have kindly provided the barriers) and to Booklaw Publications for their support.

Also thanks to all the Exhibitors for supporting the show and the Traders for their support in the programme and the show.

NORTH EASTERN LAYOUTS

Z – N Gauge

1) Wansbeck Road – BR(NE) 1950’s – 2mm.

2) Fence Houses – BR(NE) 1950/60’s – 2mm.

3) Blyth – BR(NE) 1950/60’s – N.

4) Welham Green – LNER/BR – N.

5) Percy Nook - BR(NE) 1960's - 2mm.

EM – P4 – S4.

1) Blackgill – BR(NE) 1950/60’s – P4

Running with stock from Chris Pendletons - 'North Shields'

2) Ravenscroft Sidings – BR 1980's – P4

3) Bramblewick – NER – P4 - Unfortunately cancelled, but will be available for RAILEX NE 2012.

4) Spital – NER 1910 – P4.

5) Witton MPD – NER 1910 – P4

6) Croft Depot – BR(NE) 1954/5 – P4.

7) Round Tree Sidings 2 – BR Blue/Metro 1980’s – EM

8) Harton Gill - BR(NE) & NCB 1960/70's - P4

9) Easington Lane - BR 1970's - EM

10) Fryupdale - LNER 1930's - EM

OO Gauge

1) Driffield – BR Blue 1980’s

2) Rowntree Halt – BR(NE) 1950's

3) Poole-in-Wharfedale – BR(NE) 1950’s

4) Dalefoot - BR(NE) 1950-68

5) Brough - BR(NE) 1950's

O Gauge.

1) Milford – LNER 1927

2) Foston Mills – NER 1910 or BR(NE) 1950’s

3) Runswick Bay – NER 1880/1910 or 1900 to 1923

4) Hollowbeck – BR(NE) 1950/60’s

5) Marske – NER/LNER 1920/30’s

6) Newbottle Colliery - NCB/BR(NE) 1950's

7) High Elswick Coal Depot - NER 1900's

Gauge 1

1) North Hetton Colliery – NCB/BR(NE) 1950’s – Gauge 1.

NON - NORTH EASTERN LAYOUTS

Z – N Gauge

1) California Coast – American 1970's to Present – Z Scale

2) Deep Lane – Modern Image 2000 – N Gauge

3) Loch Lochy – BR Blue 1980’s Scottish – N Gauge

3mm to HO Gauge

1) Magersfrontein – HO – South African

2) Stellabeek – HO – Belgium

3) Winter Wonderland - HO - Modern

EM – P4 – S4

1) Glenuig – EM – BR Blue Scottish

OOn3

1) Annascaul – Irish Narrow Gauge 1938 – 1953

OO Gauge

1) Pensbridge – EWS to Present Day

2) Abbey Road – London Underground Present Day

3) Crimson Road – EWS Depot 2000

4) Thomas & Friends

O Gauge

1) Upsan Downs – Southern Railway 1947

2) Pick Purse Hollow - GWR 1930's

Demonstrations

North East Meccano Society

North British Study Group

North East Gauge O Modellers

Peter Stanger – 4mm Loco Building

Phil Carss – 4mm Wagon building

North East Finescale Group

Painting & Lining by Paul Moore

M.E.R.G.

NER Coal Staiths

2mm Road Show by 2mm Association.

EM Gauge Society

Display of NER/LNER 4mm Rolling Stock - Aaron Johnson

Scalescenes Building Demonstration

Display of NE Railwayana by Neil Booth

OO Gauge buildings by Dave Young

Stephenson Railway Museum

Display of North East Railway Rolling Stock

Slide shows and talks on the NER

Swan Hunter Crane by Ed Hodgson

Traders

Pooley Puffers

Book Law

Town Foot

RCTS

Contikits

Durham Trains of Stanley

Alexander Models

Sist Trees

Ten Commandments

DCC Supplies

Modelfair Direct

Nairnshire Modelling Supplies

Squires Tools

Dapol Models

Buffer Beam

76084 Locomotive Company Ltd

Picture Pride Displays Ltd

North Road Models

Lord & Butler - Dirty Boy Weathering

North Eastern Railway Association

Dave Geen Model Railway Kits

Black Cat Tech

Refreshments, Tombola, Ample free parking and Full Disabled access available.

Available ARRIVA Bus routes: - Services that stop at the Sports Centre from North Shields are No “X19†Saturday & Sunday. Further times & details are available from Traveline on 08712002233.

Nearest Metro station is ‘Meadow Well’, which is 5 minutes away.

For further details: -

Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society are Northumberland’s oldest and one of the North East's biggest Model Railway Societies. We currently meet every Wednesday 10am – 12pm & Thursday 7pm – 10pm at our new club house ‘The First Floor (Above Netto) Union Square Offices, 40 Saville Street, North Shields Tyne & Wear NE30 1NT'.

We currently have 2 - N gauge layouts, 1 – 2mm layout, 1 - 3mm layout, 2 - HO layouts, 1 - EM layout, 1 - 0.16.5 layout, 9 – OO, 4 O Gauge and 1 G Scale layouts in operation. We would welcome any new prospective members of all ages, especially anyone interested in modelling in the larger gauges.

For further details contact Hon Secretary Chris Stafford on btmrs@sky.com.

post-3910-0-26704500-1304364493_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As a member of NERA I'm admittedly a wee bit biased, however irrespective of regional interests, the sheer quality of that cast list has to be one of the best I've ever seen assembled for any show, and really puts this event into the top echelon of exhibitions.

Congratulations to all concerned, I wish you well - and (given that there's little to no chance of me making it) I hope there's plenty of photographers there..

• 4 weeks later...

As a member of NERA I'm admittedly a wee bit biased, however irrespective of regional interests, the sheer quality of that cast list has to be one of the best I've ever seen assembled for any show, and really puts this event into the top echelon of exhibitions.

Congratulations to all concerned, I wish you well - and (given that there's little to no chance of me making it) I hope there's plenty of photographers there..

Dear John, thank you for your kind comments about our exhibition, which we believe will be one of the best around this year. Not just if you like all things 'North Eastern' either. It is a shame you can't come over for the show, we do have some NERA members coming form Canada. I will endeavour to put some photo's from the first day on a soon as I can. To get an idea of the venue look at our website www.railexne.com and view the photos from last years exhibition.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have just being informed today, that Tom Harland will not be able to bring 'Bramblewick' due to ill health. Tom is disappointed not to becoming as it is the 50th Anniversary of the North Eastern Railway Association. Tom has agreed to come in 2012, provided his health has improved. I for one hopes he will come in 2012 as I have been waiting to see 'Bramblewick' for along time.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing Crimson Road in the flesh after reading the mag article.

Owner Pete Griffiths and myself are also looking forward to treading new territory in "North Eastern" land. Since Crimson Road was featured in the "Railway Modeller" February 2010; Pete has altered the layout so that recent Exhibition appearances have included more scenics over the left hand fiddle with the track having expanded onto another "fiddle" board at right angles to the front boards. This has improved the "activities" at the back and made life much easier for the operators and increased the possible train movements.

We are hoping that similar alterations to the right hand fiddle will be completed in time for Railex North East 2011. This will enable some of Pete's well weathered freight trains to run across the back of the layout as well as the d.m.u's seen regularly at present.

Hope to meet some new faces on Tyneside. - this is a first visit for a layout connected with Stafford Railway Circle

• 2 weeks later...

We are pleased to announce that 'David Geen Model Railway Kits' will be attending the Exhibition this year. David is well known for his 4mm Pre-Grouping and Big Four Wagon and Carriage kits. David also stocks the 'Mitchell' range of locomotive kits.

This year we have be given exclusive use of the childrens play area within the sports centre, opposite the cafe. This will enable some of the Fathers to go round the exhibition without been hassled, whilst any of the younger children & Mothers who are not interested in model railways can relax with a coffee, bite to eat and supervise the children in the play area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This show is going to be superb. Blackgill alone will be worth the entrance fee.

I'll be driving down (and up) the A1 from Retford if anyone wants to share transport costs, can get to/from a pick up point en route (including Donny Station) and can put up with me moaning about other drivers.

I'd be wanting to get there for an early start and would be leaving mid afternoon (in case of footy traffic).

Cheers

Phil @36E

Plea for help

Hi Guys

I'll be at this show with Harton Gill and the model below.

Some of you may have seen this model before but does anyone know or have any un-published photos of the prototype that they can bring along to show me. There are a few details that I have never managed to get right and I would love to correct my mistakes.

Cheers

Dave Smith

post-509-0-12140100-1311096335_thumb.jpg

We are pleased to announce Stephen Hughes from 'Black Cat Tech' will be attending the show, suppliers of electrical modules, lighting for buildings & rolling stock as well as large range of other electrical items.

We have also been informed that 'Orange River' will not be able to attend this year.

North Eastern Railway Association - Chairman, John Addyman will be presenting two talks on NER Architecture, on the Saturday at 11am and 2pm.

David Williamson will be giving a talk on the Sunday at 1.30pm about NER Carriages.

In between Dave Dunn will be showing slides from around the North Eastern Region, as well as signing copies of his latest books.

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks to go before the big set up, and still a million and one things to do. The list of jobs to do seems to get bigger every year, must learn to delegate better!!!!!!!

That said off to Pickering tomorrow for a week of rest & recuperation with SWMBO and the kids. A good excuse to sample the delights of the NYMR and the Scarborough & District Exhibition on the 20th.

Is the emoticon trying to tell us something about Harton Gill? :D

P1050410as.jpg

P1040525as.jpg

P1050407as.jpg

P1050398as.jpg

Hope to see you there.

Robert,

Not sure how it the emoticon appeared, but I can't delete it despite many edits.

One of our ex-members may be along with some photos he took during a Manchester Locomotive Society tour of the electrified system in the 60's for you to have a look at.

Regards

Chris

Robert,

Not sure how it the emoticon appeared, but I can't delete it despite many edits.

One of our ex-members may be along with some photos he took during a Manchester Locomotive Society tour of the electrified system in the 60's for you to have a look at.

Regards

Chris

It appears if you type 8 ) without the space in between, like this 8).

The layout is not mine - I just help to move it and operate it at shows. It is largely the creation of Graham Broad.

North Eastern Railway Association - Chairman, John Addyman will be presenting two talks on NER Architecture, on the Saturday at 11am and 2pm.

Looking forward to this show next week.

Re' the two talks on NER architecture. Do you know if places have to be booked or do you just turn up?

Mac.

Archived