Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Oldest Model Still in Production?

• RMweb Gold

Seeing yet another release of the Graham Farish N Gauge Pannier Tank, which dates from 1970, on a major retailers website got me wondering if there are any other major RTR items still in production of a similar or older vintage?

I'm sure there must still be some ex-Triang bits in the Hornby range, particularly the Thomas stuff.

Probably some pieces in the railroad range too. How about the Hornby B-sets, are those still the toolings they inherited from airfix?

Those are 1980s tooling, so not even close to being in the running. The Hornby Colletts are much older, and they really aren't in the running either.

The Hornby Mk1 must be up there, though.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Seeing yet another release of the Graham Farish N Gauge Pannier Tank, which dates from 1970, on a major retailers website got me wondering if there are any other major RTR items still in production of a similar or older vintage?

Most of the other items suggested so far now are used in budget or toy ranges where as the Farish 94xx is still in the main range with the RRP being a fraction under £64.

Those are 1980s tooling, so not even close to being in the running. The Hornby Colletts are much older, and they really aren't in the running either.

The Hornby Mk1 must be up there, though.

Adrian

Indeed it must.

I'd say we could trace the parentage of Dapol's SR PMV, Banana van and Blue Spot fish van back a long way too. I think the fish van was released in time for Christmas 1961.

On a different tack, I notice some of Hornby's Skaledale range share more than a passing resemblance to the inherited Airfix kits, the bus garage aka supermarket, Faulkner's Electrical shop and the Airfield Control Tower all look like they started off with someone in the Chinese factory reverse-engineering a master from a made-up kit.

I'd say we could trace the parentage of Dapol's SR PMV, Banana van and Blue Spot fish van back a long way too. I think the fish van was released in time for Christmas 1961.

I'm no expert on Dublo but I'd think there are a few older wagons than those, bodywise at least - the Blue Spot and CCT (not PMV) were relatively late introductions, marketed with the plastic chassis only AFAIK, and the banana came on the 10ft wb metal chassis but only the one with 'see through' brakegear, whereas the cattle van, grain wagon and standard planked Vanfit at least, and possibly also the gunpowder van, appeared in the days when the pushrods were cast with infills above them, and no brake lever. I dont know if Dapol still do the SD 5-plank and steel High Goods, but they're of similar vintage.

Incidentally if you look at Dapol's website and their current OO wagon pricelist, the first entry B345A is described as a 'Nanana' van B)

Guest Belgian

How about Hornby's Southern Utility van, which has just been released in the "Imperial Airways" train set. It was released as R226 in 1958 (53 years ago!!!) and hasn't changed since, except for its wheels and couplings.

JE

• RMweb Premium

How accurate are the 4mm wagons and coaches that are still in production? I know that the product that started this thread could at best be described as inaccurate.

• RMweb Gold

How old is the tooling for the Gordon within the Thomas the Tank engine range? As that uses the old Scotsman tooling so must be quite old.

Annie and Clarabel coaches they must be quite old as I have a blue one that was produced by Triang. (That was used for busy services!):lol: ;)

Regards,

Nick.

What about Hornby's Dean & Caledonian singles?

1961, I think.

How old is the tooling for the Gordon within the Thomas the Tank engine range? As that uses the old Scotsman tooling so must be quite old.

I think that is the second-generation tender-drive tooling rather than the original Triang loco-drive tooling.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I think that is the second-generation tender-drive tooling rather than the original Triang loco-drive tooling.

Adrian

Thanks for that Adrian,

Yeah it is tender-driven, although mine packed up years ago! One of those little jobs that is awaiting repair. (And probably will still be waiting until I have children of my own)

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

How about Hornby's Southern Utility van, which has just been released in the "Imperial Airways" train set. It was released as R226 in 1958 (53 years ago!!!) and hasn't changed since, except for its wheels and couplings.

JE

That's the one I thought of immediately.

I don't know about the age of Trix toolings but one or two items in the Bachmann range stem from it - the bulk grain wagons, for instance.

How accurate are the 4mm wagons and coaches that are still in production? I know that the product that started this thread could at best be described as inaccurate.

The ex Hornby Dublo Banana van has one of the best body mouldings around (the chassis is another matter, but it can be replaced by the Red Panda one). It does suffer from some very odd made up liveries though.

• RMweb Premium

Are the Hornby lineside huts still in production (fogman's hut plus 2 larger ones in a set of 3)?

I had a set on my first layout back in the 50s, not sure when they first appeared. Apart from a colour change they're exactly the same.

• RMweb Premium

Did Meccano Ltd make their coaches from etched nickel silver? Surely these are just repros "in the style of Hornby Dublo".

JE

Gosh, 120 quid plus for a faux Hornby Dublo coach. :blink: Get a whole rake of Bachmann MK1s for that. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

How about Dublo coaches?

http://www.coopertra...inscoaches.html

:blink:

I am really shocked that people would want to buy modern Tinplate items! I had no idea that they were still being produced, albeit under a different name, but still. I can completely understand collectors/modelers wanting to purchase the original models, but modern ones that is a surprise.

Regards,

Nick.

Did Meccano Ltd make their coaches from etched nickel silver? Surely these are just repros "in the style of Hornby Dublo".

JE

Just using modern materials, for example, the Devious Diesel in production today is not made of the same plastic as back in 1958.........

Archived