Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Oldest Model Still in Production?

• RMweb Gold

Just using modern materials, for example, the Devious Diesel in production today is not made of the same plastic as back in 1958.........

My Devious Diesel was bought for me for my third birthday back in 1989 and I was very excited because that year I got a Percy and a Devious Diesel! And remember being told I was a lucky boy!

How about Hornby's Southern Utility van, which has just been released in the "Imperial Airways" train set. It was released as R226 in 1958 (53 years ago!!!) and hasn't changed since, except for its wheels and couplings.

JE

I think that's really unfair because, apart from the updated paint job, the catalogue clearly states (p.104 / R4451) that this model now features "illuminated table lamps".

Oh, no... wait a minute...

Paul

I don't know about the age of Trix toolings but one or two items in the Bachmann range stem from it - the bulk grain wagons, for instance.

Relative youngsters Al, I think they'll be from about 1968. They certainly wont be older than the prototypes, which were 1965/66ish IIRC

When this subject was aired on MREmag, l believe the Cattle Van recieved a honourable mention for its longevity.

I guess you mean the Triang LWB one, Andy? It certainly goes back to metal chassis, open-axlebox days

Incidentally if you look at Dapol's website and their current OO wagon pricelist, the first entry B345A is described as a 'Nanana' van B)

Nanana nanana hey hey, goodbye...

Wrong thread, song title game is in W&S. :P

• 4 weeks later...

The Hornby Lineside accessories set is full of older models.

The lineside huts go back to about 1955/6. (The various re-tooling has got rid of the planks on the doors, which were painted green, (Later Tri-ang Hornby examples had paper stickers on the doors to avoid a painting job...), and now they are marked Hornby Made in China.

The Loading Gauge is the moulding from C1962 (Super 4 Track), as are the telegraph poles. New bases though, with tongues for System 6 track...

The mile posts and gradient posts are also late 50s, early 60s. (The really eraly ones were heat printed, then paper stickers came in...)

The Water Crane base is new, to use the top part which started out as the "handle" to work the new Turntable (The one with the hut over the gearing/ motor housing.).

On a similar note, the PECO Model Scene accessories and figures (Goods Depot, Modern Signal Box Kits. Coal bunkers, etc. etc.) are the original Merit items, Late 50s, early 1960s again.

• RMweb Premium

I agree the Southern Utility Van must be getting on, and is still one of the few coaches/vans,wagons with opening doors! now theres a novelty.

Yes, The S.R. Utility Wagon (Green) and the B.R. Utility Wagon (Red) were both released around 1958 (With the MKIIb Open Loop Couplings, which were replaced in 1959 by the MKIII "Tension Lock", which was based on the TT coupling...)

The B.R. version went first, and never had closed axle boxes. The two numbers also got used on both versions....

12 opening doors.

(An uncommon version has green body, red doors, and a white roof. From the Old Smokey set. This featured a "weathered" "Deeley" 3f 0-6-0 (like Bachmann are releasing!) and a "short" Blood and Custard SK. This must be the first weathered RTR?)

• RMweb Gold

Nobody's mentioned Hornby's B12 - 1962, not Railroad and apparently not meriting an retooled model to modern standards....

Good point. It's had a tweak over the years, though - wire handrails and a better chassis.

Not rolling stock, but what about the Hornby signals?

They got retooled at some point. At least the newer ones are different than the Triang ones I got between '68 and '70.

Dean single is possibly the oldest loco I can see.

As mentioned above, I think that was 1961.

Adrian

Good point. It's had a tweak over the years, though - wire handrails and a better chassis.

I was told it is an all new model! An original was sent to China as a reference point and they copied it perfectly and added new handrails while there were at it.

• RMweb Premium

Nobody's mentioned Hornby's B12 - 1962, not Railroad and apparently not meriting an retooled model to modern standards....

I thought this locomotive was completely re-tooled when Hornby first shifted production to China. The Chinese even replicated the 'sandpaper Chuff' under the tender :lol: , but as you say still not up to modern standards. :(

1961, I think.

I think that is the second-generation tender-drive tooling rather than the original Triang loco-drive tooling.

Adrian

Actually Adrian, it is a derivative of the original Triang Scotsman bodyshell, on the second generation tender drive chassis, utilizing a Hornby schools class tender drive to power it...!

Archived