RMweb

Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

New question (that I think I have worked out!): Was 50032 the last 50 to retain original NSE? I've pickes up a cheap damaged 048 (got a huge crack on one side!) and am thinking of a renumber. I'm aware that the cab doors will need repainting white.

50032 was withdrawn on 15.10.1990

50026 was withdrawn on 11.12.1990

but that's not what you were asking, was it?

50032 was cut up in 02.91 at Old Oak

By 1992 50026 had made it to Booths but was never cut. so really 50026 was the last Vac to retain ONSE. B)

Thanks for the info. I've ordered some blue plates (which comes with the crests too). Will be a bit different to a normal red plated one like 026. I just hope the crack doesn't get any worse in the post!

post-1105-12662457461225_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I won it last night for GBP33 on that well known auction site. As the damage is only on one side I can run it around the 'wall' side of the layout anyway!

Right i've been at work with the 50. Careful melting of the plastic on the inside has cleared up the crack. Black paint around the cab end windows and white painted cab doors. I have carefully removed the numbers 4 and 8 but dug out my rub-on Replica transfers to find that they are too small. Having looked at the other renumberings on the earlier posts, can someone let me know if there are any transfers that are the same size as the Hornby ones? If not I guess i'll have to remove all the numbers and start again.

Also, could someone help me find the 'Courageous' plates that I have mislaid!

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Having renumbered a Hornby NSE fifty some time ago I discovered that the Fox Transfers numerals were ever so slightly a different size to Hornby's tampo printed ones (Same happens with many steam locos as well) so as a rule they all come off and start afresh.

I had an original NSE Hornby 50 that I carefully stripped and decorated myself but then sold on when I regressed to Southern Region 1950's and 1960's steam. Boy do I regret selling it now but at least it gives me an excuse should I see a cheap 50 in the near future to do another one!!

Hold the Phone!!!

I would remove all the numbers as Hornby have the wrong size! The Fox and Replica rub-on are the accurate sizes, look at any photo of the numbers on the number 1 end, under the body side grilled up window and small oval window and you will notice that the 500XX does not go much wider than the both grills length, but on the Hornby loco they are almost twice the length of the grills! whoops

That goes for revised as well as original NSE. The original NSE is incorrect red and grey stripes, just check out the box art with the loco to see what I mean....

I wonder if Bachmann intend on doing a better Farsh N gauge Class 50 and then maybe do a 4mm loco and see if they can correct the Hornby mistakes and livery slip ups? or Heljan... part of me hopes so another part says no as I have 15 Hornby locos all needing bits done to them. Still it's good basic loco shame they don't listen to and make changes the way Bachmann has with their 37's.

They are very wrong, the stipes are the wrong size and where the red goes up the cab sides should be next to the door not after it and they are much bolder in this area.. The cover box and the model are different the box is much better than the model! check out some side photos of the real thing and you will see the difference.

http://marcsphotographs.fotopic.net/p46914778.html

http://marcsphotographs.fotopic.net/p46914737.html

http://www.hondawanderer.com/50037_Walcot_1988.htm

The last one is the one of the Doncaster 4 (50002/037/044 and 048) with a higher white roof band and orange stripe on the headcode box and blue around the cab door windows

God only knows why Hornby decided to model the Doncatser 4 when 10 others where the common livery?

The red and grey stripes look OK to me - am I missing something?

• RMweb Premium

A mantra that I always use when it comes to the prickly (and often disappointment laden) subject of Network SouthEast and Hornby - in almost twenty years of trying and despite recent advances in technology over when that old school 47 with the sheet of alternative numbers/names first appeared, Hornby have NEVER managed to get a single NSE model right in either application or colour matching.

Given that their HQ is bang in the middle of NSE land is a tad worrying, here's hoping lessons have been learnt therefore for the forthcoming 4-VEP!!

i don't think they've been able to get a class 50 right yet either <_< (except D421 perhaps?)

I would disagree others they have got right include 50002/004/007/020/031/035/037 and 149.As regards 35 i would have prefered it in either Original NSE OR Revised NSE dark blue with painted axleboxes bogie springs etc.Old Oak Common kew how to look after thier vacs(Especially the flagship of the fleet :D However after the total mess they made of Dauntless phrehaps this was a good thing.In the case of Superb you would of course have to remove the awful factory weatering.As 48 is such a poor seller i think Hornby will probably stick to a safe livery like L Logo.However i am still amazed that they have not done L Logo with a Black roof one of the 50's most popular liveries.Instead of Illustrious as a sound loco which Hornby have already done as an unrefurbished loco i would have done Warspite or Ajax r.i.p in the L Logo livery but with the black roof.If it has to be L Logo with a grey roof i think Implacable would have been a better choice as it has not been done by Lima or Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

Of the BR Blue and named variety, I think 50037 is the only one spot on.

As for LL, clearly they sell with a grey roof or Hornby wouldn't keep producing them. Most if not all 50s appeared in those colours, so there is plenty of potential for extra sales for renumbering. Whilst a black roof may have been popular at the time (not with me as it happens), there were fewer locos so painted and for a shorter period of time. So perhaps Hornby expects them not to sell as well.

Hornby and Bachmann seem to have a completely different philosophy in this respect. Bachmann works through the possible liveries whereas Hornby repeats the best sellers.

Fortunately I can't stand Signal toothpaste livery, so any errors in those models does not matter to me, but it does seem strange that manufacturers can't get the proportions right when there are so many photos available on the internet to verify from. Colour matching is different - colours change over time and different photos of the same loco can look different because of the ambiant conditions such as light etc. and NSE livery was prone to fade after frequent trips through the carriage washer at Kensal Green.

The shame is that Hornby IIRC requires 1000 models for a limited edition because that would be one way to get the specials such as 50008, 50019, LL with black roof etc. But would they sell? They have not been commissioned despite the popularity of the 50s, so perhaps not. One-offs of existing prototypes do because modelling the current scene - "I've got James the Engine in a field of snow" - is popular from layouts at exhibitions, but less so the relatively modern but long since disappeared from the main line liveries, although I'd happily be corrected.

I would disagree others they have got right include 50002/004/007/020/031/035/037 and 149.

ok, so they have got a few of the right. maybe i exagerated a bit in my oringinal post. but,

50002 blue is far too dark. plus terrible weathering

50007 red number/nameplates :blink: and wasn't there something about the LA symbols being wrong? then there was also the weathered version <_<

50031 wrong crests

50007 wern't the nameplates in the wrong position on this one?

I hadn'tnoticed the stripe issue on 048 but I do see what you mean. It's something I can live with so I won't bother changing it. The application of NSE on the 73 (129) in my opinion looks awful and I wouldn't ever want it. Strange how certain inaccuracies can be acceptedand others not so.

ok, so they have got a few of the right. maybe i exagerated a bit in my oringinal post. but,

50002 blue is far too dark. plus terrible weathering

50007 red number/nameplates :blink: and wasn't there something about the LA symbols being wrong? then there was also the weathered version <_<

50031 wrong crests

50007 wern't the nameplates in the wrong position on this one?

50007 carried red nameplates (and ploughs) in Preservation: http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/50007_3.htm and http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/50007_6.htm - why however Hornby choose to model the loco in this condition is anyone's guess - although it did give them a chance to "show off" how good their printing was - the full colour crest were very fine indeed. I like most however choose to simply backdate mine with a set of black etched plates.

50031 has carried two different types of crests over the years so I'm sure not they were wrong.

Bruce

50007 red number/nameplates blink.gif and wasn't there something about the LA symbols being wrong? then there was also the weathered version dry.gif

For 007 in mainline condition the 'LA' symbols should have only been on opposite corners of the loco - Hornby put them on all four cabsides , as preserved - to match all the other detail painting on the loco. Fair enough - but the shade of green they used is nothing like that worn by 500O7 in preservation - its more like early '90s shade so the model is a bit of a Hybrid. Also from memory the yellow around the cabside windows extends too far down i think - my 007 is tucked away at the moment

Technically Hornby havent got any of thier class 50s right - you still have to rebuild the windscreens whatever one you buy!angry.gif wink.gif

I made the mistake of buying Hornbys 'Dauntless' in original NSE - and thought I could correct the upsweeps on the livery and turn it into 50032 - but in the end i gave up and just resprayed the whole thing from scratch - The stripes on the model of 50048 , not only being wrongly proportioned on the cabsides , are also at a different height on the bodyside compared to 50032 - so as it turns out - respraying it all was the only way to get it completely correct after allrolleyes.gif

post-6893-126747451369_thumb.jpg

post-6893-126747470919_thumb.jpg

More 50s on my blog (and even more coming soon)

tfn

jon

• Like 1