Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

well as of last week all i had was 50004 in heavily weathered condition, now i have

50004 st vincent

50045 achillies off ebay awaiting slight repair fitment of buffer steps

50035 coming from ebay, hopefully tomorro, needs repair to grills/underframe

repainted D400 spares/repair from rails off ebay

ive purchased some grills from rmweb's 50033 via ebay also.

and im hoping to get a 50015 minus sound from trains4u. the hoover bug has bitten bad!

• RMweb Premium

Currently working on four Hornby Class 50's all refurbs:_

• 3x 50 045 NSE - To be renumbered
  • 50 004 - Collision repairs to No 2 cab . . .

At the moment replacement Hornby spares like ETS cables are hard to get hold of . . .

Saw D400 ad 50 008 with Rails on eBay, but missed it. . .

Has anyone got any tips for removing the factory weathering off 50 045 bodies, so they can be renumbered?

Future plans are for:-

• 50 015 Dutch DCC Sound - If can find one for the right price?
  • 50 036 DCC sound - comment as above!
  • 50 008 Thunderer - when it comes out

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone got any tips for removing the factory weathering off 50 045 bodies, so they can be renumbered?

Richie

I just used paint thinners on tissue for the large areas and a cotton bud for the nooks and crannies, and it all came off pretty well as you can see from the attached photo of 50024. The other thing to note is the lower bodyside grey is too light on the '45 model and I painted it with Railmatch NSE grey.

post-6922-0-91670200-1297290049_thumb.jpg

Vanguard is still awaiting my own weathering attention despite this photo being a year old!

50035 arrived today, what a mess!! grills have been badly glue on, missing one compressor underneath, missing ETH cables, missing all buffer footsteps, glue of one windscreen, no traction tyres, although im replacing the wheels. 'restoration' will start tonight. just waiting on D400 from rails now. which will be stripped and repainted as 50149 defiance. will post some pictures later.

Richie

I just used paint thinners on tissue for the large areas and a cotton bud for the nooks and crannies, and it all came off pretty well as you can see from the attached photo of 50024. The other thing to note is the lower bodyside grey is too light on the '45 model and I painted it with Railmatch NSE grey.

post-6922-0-91670200-1297290049_thumb.jpg

Vanguard is still awaiting my own weathering attention despite this photo being a year old!

Hi Richie,

Just to confirm what Temeraire has stated paint thinners and tissues worked well for me ;) , I have now converted 2 class 50's which I have double models of 50 045 to 50 048 and 50 002 to 50 033

I think 50 002 was the best conversion as the lower body-side grey is not to bad,as Temeraire said 50 045 lower body-side grey is too light and that is the only job I need to do to complete my transformation paint the grey darker :rolleyes:

Look at the picture below to compare the light grey which formally was 50 045 to Temeraire's picture..

004-38.jpg

003-39.jpg

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well found something interesting (well maybe not), just an observation. Used to Modelstrip on some Class 50 bogie side frames with factory weathering. It didn't even touch it! Yet found surprisingly model strip doesn't damage the factory applied paint finish. I wasn't expecting this, because I was stripping a body acquired years ago which had been a airbrush repaint disaster, that I'd acquired to repair the cab front of 50 004. But now a got a very nice BR body, which might be a better bet to rebuild blink.gif

They're your photos Larry. I only had them saved from the old Class 50 forum. You said you'd lost/deleted them by mistake, so I thought you might like to see them again :)

So you've got 16 Vacs. Hmm, I think you might have more then me. I think I had 15 or so the last time I counted :lol:

Vac Basher, yeah no problem I think I have those do you have the cropped ones with D421? No worries if you don't.

Charlie, NSE in order of release:

50045 Achilles, was short lived in traffic the model has light grey sole bar but it's not to bad could be just faded

50002 Superb, pretty good for the last 2 years in traffic some complain of the weathering but I have seen it that bad

50027 Lion, looks to light in photos but OK in the flesh so to speak the biggest problem a window where there should be a grill!

50048 Dauntless, in original NSE and one of the Doncaster 4 paint jobs not the 9 odd in standard livery (White cab door windows), However this has many mistakes one is the grey and red base stripes are too thin and not in the correct position also the cab front windows shows that they are wrong with all that white paint.

All of them have over sized numbers. But 50002 is the best of the bunch. shame that Hornby doesn't attempt this without weathering? But as you can see previously NSE Daz has managed to make good with a renumber and cleaning cloth.

Larry

No worries Vac Basher.... Cheers for those.

As for chassis Charlie, all ok for me, all mine are stored standing as they would on the line and not led down.

18,45,35,02 and 31 all OK they are the earliest. However I live in rented accommodation with little heating and they are cold, but there is no sign of body damage and the metal chassis is still shiny with none of the white crusty bit's that I have seen on those damaged ones that were posted on here before.

I don't know if it's because I haven't had the bodies off much or if it's due to re-painting or if lying them down causes it? it's just down to luck.

anyway 16 boxes

post-3511-0-50947600-1298399680_thumb.jpg

post-3511-0-15646300-1298399752_thumb.jpg

Having traded in 17 i am down to the best one although some may not agree :D

But it is the best one for me an others.

I have acuired a Hornby Dauntless cheap but mint and intend to re number as Royal Oak so i have at least my 2 favourites ones.

Surprising to some i supouse. but never had a problem with the early NSE style like some did.

Also because i had one of my best runs of 17 in this livery, mule throughout Sept 87 returning from a Newquay bash.

17 was whipped up to a 102 MPH between Basingstoke and Woking.I swear the driver must have been Ayrton Senna :lol:

Anyway it was absoloutely hellfire!!!

Been selling 60s and buying 50s!! I have 3 in blue, 50014,018 & 037. 50007 in GWR green, 50045 in NSEx2 which shall become 005 & 041 and 5 in large logo, 50004, 009,031,036,040. 50004 was a bargain at £40!!!!

Simon

I seem to remember the model of 18 also had one of the nameplaes in the wrong position. :unsure:

Yes indeed I forgot that... 18 is a complete clusterfudge (Keeping it Clean), one of those grills from 33 for the other window would be good to covert to preserved 50044. Either as it was in 1994 or green from 2001 and soon this year when it's back in blue. :blink:

Yes indeed I forgot that... 18 is a complete clusterfudge (Keeping it Clean), one of those grills from 33 for the other window would be good to covert to preserved 50044. Either as it was in 1994 or green from 2001 and soon this year when it's back in blue. :blink:

Can;t wait to see 44 back in blue, but now they must return the best one in a proper Livery instead of something that resemles a jaffa cake :angry:

If we must have fictitious liveries how about Dutch,Railfreight, Large Logo with black or blue roof, Inter-City, Parcels Red or even Mainline blue would have been preferable to something that resembles a jaffa cake. :blink:

Re 18 a complete botch up by Hornby extra grill , nameplate in NSE posistion but not raised,No working dominoes and traction tyres.

Remeber talking to people at Warley who said it was going to be 18 in NSE and when first announced it was going to be Collingwood in RNSE but this was quickly changed to Achilles i wonder why?

See some joker on Ebay got Hood on for £100 BIN not a hope.lol

The Alliance are just trying to drum up more trade and possiblly some shares sales, at the end of the day I don't care as long as they are out on the main line.

Back to the 4mm versions, I do remember a retailer saying that a sales sheet had 50001 Deadnought listed but no livery advice. Back to 18 the pluging of the window and making into 44 preserved is the only option for that model? unless you scrap it for spares?

Larry

The Alliance are just trying to drum up more trade and possiblly some shares sales, at the end of the day I don't care as long as they are out on the main line.

Back to the 4mm versions, I do remember a retailer saying that a sales sheet had 50001 Deadnought listed but no livery advice. Back to 18 the pluging of the window and making into 44 preserved is the only option for that model? unless you scrap it for spares?

Larry

As far as i am aware 35 is not on the main line.

Well as i am permately going to N 35 is going to be part exed this week.

The Dauntless i will be renumbering to 35 complete with 35 above headlight both ends but with a difference weathered and tattey.

TThe reason is this simply had most mileage behind in this livery and majority of my trips to Penzance especially in 1989 :P a vintage year for mileage behind Ark Royal B)

As far as i am aware 35 is not on the main line.

Well as i am permately going to N 35 is going to be part exed this week.

The Dauntless i will be renumbering to 35 complete with 35 above headlight both ends but with a difference weathered and tattey.

TThe reason is this simply had most mileage behind in this livery and majority of my trips to Penzance especially in 1989 :P a vintage year for mileage behind Ark Royal B)

No 35 isn't main line but never say never...

So your dropping OO for N?