Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

It was 'Dauntless' but it was a full repaint as the Hornby representation of the livery is so horribly wrong I could not live with it. The 'Dauntless' model is based on the Doncaster version of original NSE anyway with the higher white cantrail stripe and more blue on the cab doors and I wanted an OOC version.

As I was painting I came across more errors than at first apparent as Hornby had most of the stripes either the wrong width or just completely in the wrong place for either version of early NSE. The shade of blue was slightly off but still acceptable but as for that permatan orange they call warning panel yellow, don't get me started... laugh.gif

Just started work on stripping down a 50002 'Superb' in the awful representation of late NSE livery with the way too dark blue, the permatan orange 'yellow' and horrible weathering. It will emerge as 50027 in late NSE some time next week I hope, at least Hornby had the stripes in almost the right place on that one which makes some masking up a bit easier!!

Sounds like we both had exactly the same experience biggrin.gif - I bought Dauntless to make it into '032 Courageous - it turned out the livery was plain wrong in every way possible , so I resprayed the whole thing aswell , so really I could have just bought any 50 for the job dry.gif

The orange warning panels are indeed horrible - Valiant seems to the only 50 Hornby have done so far that actually has yellow warning panelsrolleyes.gif

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fresh from the paint shop although still with a few minor bits to do on her is 50027 'Lion':

post-6910-127409866367.jpg

I have a spare donor sitting on top of the mantelpiece at the moment that once I get through my stock of Bachmann 47's may become either 50035 'Ark Royal' in later revised NSE livery (Different treatment of the cantrail white stripe on this and 50033, it didn't have the fiddly to do bit above the cab windows for a starter!!) or 50008 'Thunderer' in Engineers Blue livery. Need to decide though as will have to order the nameplates of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was doing some research on 50117 and found this thread. I always liked the 50 in rail freight livery so I decided to do 50117 instead of

50149. Hope you like it.

Just finished :rolleyes:

50017-08.jpg

50017-06.jpg

50017-05.jpg

50017-02.jpg

Due to finance reasons I'll be selling her soon :( boo hoo hoo..

Where will it be for sale?

I'll probably have to put it up on a rather well known auction site.

I can't post it up here because I don't have enough posts (I did until I had to reregister)

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Some fantastic models of class 50's i have fond memories of when 50021 Rodney was based at Boness!

here are my efforts a standard 50035 from Hornby rescued from the local model shop second hand for a bargin

price have added scottish region transfers! There was 1 that had these adornments for a railtour to the Highlands

That was 50049.

Make it two as 50031 also received stags for Pathfinder's "The Orcadian" 4 day Scottish Land cruise in June 2006. The locos also received split personalities 50031 becoming 50028 and 50049 becoming 50012 - both on one side only. It was hoped the vinyls would come off pretty cleanly after the tour however after the ones on 50031 took quite a bit of paint off as well - 50049 retained its stags for several weeks, during which time both locomotives worked on the Cardiff - Fishguards.

Bruce

Hi all

Thanks for that info D400 did 50031 and 50049 also have Eastfield terriors applied at some point

regards

Dave

Yes - scotty dogs were applied for the March 2005 "Monarch of Glen" 4 day tour - again with Pathfinder. Though they came off rather more easily so were only present for the tour.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At the moment I only have one Hornby 50, it's 50007 Sir Edward Elgar mainly because it was my favourite 50. Others will follow when funds allow.

Pete

Sir Ed was my first Class 50 too. Totally loved it. Unfortunately my younger 3yo brother decided to "play" with it on the drive when i was at work & left it behind the car, where it was duly ran over. Havent been able to find another one since. Sold out pretty rapidly. :(

• RMweb Premium

Sir Ed was my first Class 50 too. Totally loved it. Unfortunately my younger 3yo brother decided to "play" with it on the drive when i was at work & left it behind the car, where it was duly ran over. Havent been able to find another one since. Sold out pretty rapidly. :(

Sorry to hear your model got crushed, but 50007 is, was and always should be "Hercules". Perhaps your younger bro agrees... B)

• 3 weeks later...

This might make some recoil in horror!! :crazy_mini:

50006 Neptune permanently up on jacks, after gravity started the project for me

Very nice! Reminds me of 50048's last moment of "glory" when it was taken out of the scrap lines and plonked on the jacks as part of the September 1991 Laria depot open day - it had already lost its Power unit at this point and only months later would be off to MC Metals for breaking.

http://dave-higson.fotopic.net/p62961542.html

It was even the subject of a painting by Philip D Hawkins!: http://www.quicksilverpublishing.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_26&products_id=59

Bruce

As having to put up with farishs poor model of the class 50 and after spending many a hour converting them it was the Hornby version that inspired me to sell up my n gauge 1970s western region layout and go back into 00.

I now currantly have the following Hornby 50s.

50002 rnse

50031 L/L

50035L/L

50037L/L sound

50045 rnse

and awaiting 50050 in NSE.

all towards my new venture of old oak NSE days.

hornbys finest.

richard.

• 1 month later...

After my very brief flitation with N gauge that was quite frankly a disaster i went back to 00 and Vacs were top of the list however as i have gone down the sound route my fleet is all preserved as i run present day but maintain hereitage locos(mainly 50's of course.

My Current small fleet is as follows, but i will upload pics of ones i am getting rid off and were in my fleet.

Current Fleet

50017 Royal Oak RNSE with sound

50035 Ark Royal Large Logo with sound weathered, radio roof pods, NSE flashes in the headcode box

Planned

50007 Sir Edward Elgar GW green preserved but plans to add black plates.Sound

50015 Valiant Dutch

50033 Glorious Large Logo

50008 Thunderer Laira Blue

Possible

50050 Fearless BR blue unrefurbished/ D400 Refurbished/50050 Fearless Large Logo have not decided.

Waiting disposal

50018 Resolution RNSE

50046 Ajax L Logo

Some picspost-5841-0-37981200-1295205329_thumb.jpgpost-5841-0-23545700-1295205348_thumb.jpgpost-5841-0-63226100-1295205388_thumb.jpgpost-5841-0-18462600-1295205438_thumb.jpgpost-5841-0-82294400-1295205516_thumb.jpg