Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

We had one of the new large logo 50s arrive with broken cab floors.

I suspect it may have suffered a drop.  I doubt it is metal fatigue - but be aware, and check any models at the shop or as soon as delivered.   We are checking ours as they arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Haha. Yes, I think at the time, we thought the factory applied weathering was somewhat ground breaking. I think there have been worse. A class 37 springs to mind?

An old Hornby one (if I remember rightly as a twin pack)?

Certainly the revised NSE 50 was the worst I ever purchased, although mine has since been resprayed into Large Logo Blue as Supurb

• RMweb Premium

That looks so much nicer without the coat of sand coloured paint!

Can be removed with T-cut, which is how these have been done.

The remaining 'dirt' in the grill's is more obvious in the pics than to the eye.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-71776000-1536354829_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-44679300-1536354846_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-70957100-1536354857_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Don’t get me wrong there’s still plenty wrong especially the angle of the yellow warning panel, the shade of yellow used and indeed the shade of blue is still wrong for me. Not to mention hand rails and other individual differences. However it’s a lot closer than the original 50 002 and 50 045 of which I have 12 in total. It’s a compromise for me at the moment until I can get around to completing the rebuilds and detailing of my other 50’s including resprays, etched louvres, new cant rail above the windscreens, roof fans, new window surrounds with laser glaze etc etc, much like the 50 I saw on your layout at Basingstoke by Kevin. 33 despite her short comings and reliability is my favorourite and I’m just pleased I’ve got a representation of her for now. I’m so looking forward to seeing her again in October at the Severn valley event. Who knows what livery they will apply to her, fingers crossed for NSE.

Mark

• Like 3

Picked up my 50033 today. It's a nice enough model but I can't help but feel frustrated - See, when I put it next to 50026 (Early NSE) there is very little difference in the shades of blue, when there should be a noticable variation. I can't work out if 50026 is too dark or 50033 is too light (or a bit of both?). I've included a Bachmann mk1 for reference which I believe is meant to represent the lighter shade of NSE blue (as it is slightly lighter than that used on 50026...)

post-33105-0-17439100-1536408848_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty certain later revised NSE was darker.

50033 certainly is in this picture..., taken in 1990, both loco and stock are weather beaten too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131083590@N05/31419127046

Differing shades of NSE blue is perfectly acceptable on a layout... even in the North West and Scotland too, for that matter the ELR even had a full rake of NSE mk2’s to run at one point.. with 50008/15 double heading them in 1992... you could see a similar scene at Manchester Victoria with class 37/4s same day on Blackpool services.

NSE Blue was widespread and shade varied with usage.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I quite like the shade of blue on both... Hornby's better efforts imo.

https://flic.kr/p/e7H6Hn

https://flic.kr/p/a8zW9x

I think the earlier lighter blue faded quite quickly so a number of locos were repainted in the darker blue

So you'd say Hornby's 50026 is correct for that livery as painted (before fading in the light)? I have to say the photo of the real 50026 is quite compelling and puts my mind at ease a little (so thank you!).

So you'd say Hornby's 50026 is correct for that livery as painted (before fading in the light)? I have to say the photo of the real 50026 is quite compelling and puts my mind at ease a little (so thank you!).

I'm not entirely sure if it was repainted using the darker revised blue following fading of the original livery... or was originally painted with the darker blue then faded. Either way I've seen plenty of photos in the darker blue and I think your model looks quite smart :)

There were three diffrent versions of NSE livery.....

1st: Original NSE with light blue and up sweep ends.

2nd: Revised NSE with light blue.

3rd: Revised NSE with darker blue.

Given the condition 50033 is moddeled in i 'think' it should actually be the same shade of blue as 50026, which is the earlier blue.

My personal opinion is that 50002 looks ok in the darker shade of blue and seems to match the early run of darker blue NSE Mk2s that Bachmann done, also a very close match to the Hornby 4VEP and Kernow 4TC.

The models of 50026 & 50033 would appear to match the currant issue of Bachmann Mk2s in the lighter NSE blue.

Not quite sure where 50027 & 50048 fits in to all that though, I never purchased either as they just didn't look right.

Ive still not decided wether im going to get 50033 or not yet given all the faults with it.

If Heljan do correct the faults with their '0' Gauge Class 50 I may well give up collecting Hornby 50s and move up a scale, given the price of each I can see the Heljan one being better value for money.

I thought 50027 was an attempt of the original light blue. I didn't like it as supplied but with some coats of matt varnish it looks ok. The front warning panel yellow is a must respray though.

My 50002 didn't last long with me as I thought it looked too dark... that one's been stripped and will be 149 one day :)

There are definitely loads of different shades of blue used and they all weathered diffrently to make it interesting!

50033 is meant to be the later dark blue, hence my concern that under normal lighting conditions it looks so similar to the should-be-lighter 50026... having compared with a Bachmann Mk1 in the original blue, however, I maintain that it is 50026 that is too dark.