The Derby Line, Gladiator LNER O4/3

dibateg

Guest Isambarduk

I shall be at Telford both days this year - helping out with transfers, photos and books on the HMRS stand, as usual - and I'd also like to meet up to put a few faces to names.  Maybe see you there.    David

I shall be at Telford both days this year - helping out with transfers, photos and books on the HMRS stand, as usual - and I'd also like to meet up to put a few faces to names.  Maybe see you there.    David

I shall try and call by on the Saturday.

Jim

Aye, I'll be there Sunday, from the start.

Would love to meet up with a few names and put faces to you.

Argh ! I am going on the Saturday, never mind I will put a pint behind the bar for you :jester:

Also passing through the works are some weathering jobs

A very grubby S15 Number 30842

As well as a somewhat cleaner 2538

The WDs are ready for their track test today

post-6972-0-51245500-1407397574_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-74159300-1407397658_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-76782500-1407397732_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-85581100-1407397773_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks Bob - not long now.

I'm trying to re-assemble 43155, until....  the arm from the weighshaft to the reversing rod is the wrong way round.....so the whole weighshaft will have to come out, which is a poo.

So that's a job for a rainy bank holiday Monday I think..

post-6972-0-00104700-1408869932_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony

Just read through the entire thread, fantastic workmanship. The Ivatt 4 is one of my favorite locos, but, I will never have the skills to build one myself neither the finances to have one built for me so it will remain a pipe dream.

Incidentally, were the Ivatt 4's the only loco to have a tender which had an angled piece at the top of the side rather than the side and top meeting at a 90 degree joint? The reason for the question is that in a recent book I came across a photo of Llandovery shed and there is a rear view of a tender which has that 45degree piece at the top of the side, but, I wasn't aware of Ivatt class 4's being used on the Central Wales.

Ian

Thanks for your kind comments Ian.

I have seen photos of Ivatt 4s on the Cambrian, so on the Central Wales, it is possible. It's the only one with an angled tender window - to my limited knowledge.

Now I'm self employed - I couldn't my Ivatts either! There is I believe, another kit for the Ivatt by someone else in preperation, which will be cheaper than the MOK. Disregard the Acme kit, if it is still around, it requires a skilled and patient builder...

Regards

Tony

I'm in the middle of a protracted weathering process. It takes me days and days until I am finished, although of not posted much on here, I have spent most of my time for the past couple of weeks spraying, painting and detailing. I often get stuck and don't know what to do next. I go around in circles, make a mess, put it right and press on.

I started weathering my trains over 20 years ago with a Humbrol spray gun. It chucked out some paint, and the level of cover was controlled by the speed of the pass. I have always used Humbrol Matt Black and Leather 62, in varying proportions until a few years ago. People have always seemed to like my weathering efforts, and it now forms an important part of my income. I'm now trying to move with the times and learn new techniques.

Initially I was inspired by Martyn Welch's bible, and more recently Tim Shackletons 'Weathering Locomotives' Then I saw the Hornby Magazine's Skills Guide 'Weathering' - I was too honest to nick it off a mate so set out to get one. Well, you couldn't find one for love nor money, even the publishers did not have one. After a couple of months search I had pretty well given up, but was in a model shop in Epson on a different mission and found some in their magazine rack! That was a good day. The good thing about this guide is that it tackles various subjects often with paint and powders I had never heard of, usefully, they are all listed for each project, so you can log on and buy 'em yourself.

The bibles - I'm always learning.

It's all about finding a decent colour picture of your subject and trying to copy it and I notice that Tom Foster ( 2750 ) in the Weathering section does it superbly.

So this is where I am up to, I am experimenting on my WD, the rust is AK pigment there is still plenty to do and it's to wet to get everything across to my sprayshop today to continue, and as the wind is in the east, it's time for a massive bonfire to burn everything we have cut down in the garden this summer.

post-6972-0-47191200-1409049514_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-54114400-1409049715_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 10

Tony

I greatly admire your determination and skill. Over the years I have bought the publications you list above, read them until I know them just about off by heart. I have the air brushes, compressor the paints enamel, acrylic, weathering paints and powders but despite all of this up to now all I have done is tone down the valve gear on my completed loco's. Ok all of my current builds are BR green lined locos painted to perfection by a very good friend and known to a few on these boards. I just have not built up the courage to weather any of them. Perhaps when I get around to completing a Black liveried loco I will eventually give it a go.

Your builds and weathering are simply superb. Along with Dikitriki these are threads which I always look forward to seeing updates from. Long may it continue

Regards

Bob

Edited by Silverstreak

Thanks Bob -

Thanks you for your kind comments, I'm trying to recreate the early 60s, well before my memories, times were a changing and not all engines got cleaned.. In my view everything is weathered, so that's how I want to create my railway.  I still read the books through, it's probably my memory, but I still have to refresh.

I would suggest practising on old beer cans - I still do from time to time. You can try different effects and get a good feel of what your airbrush will do. You might need to weigh them down with something as they can tend to blow away, but it would help with your confidence.

Cheers

Tony

Incidentally, were the Ivatt 4's the only loco to have a tender which had an angled piece at the top of the side rather than the side and top meeting at a 90 degree joint? The reason for the question is that in a recent book I came across a photo of Llandovery shed and there is a rear view of a tender which has that 45degree piece at the top of the side, but, I wasn't aware of Ivatt class 4's being used on the Central Wales.

Ian

Hello Ian, all,

IIRC, a lot of the B.R. standard tenders had an angle at the top Brits., 9Fs, 4MTs, 3MTs. The main difference was where the sides met the angle the B.R. types  had more of a curve than the Ivatt's angle.

HTH

OzzyO.

Hello Ian, all,

IIRC, a lot of the B.R. standard tenders had an angle at the top Brits., 9Fs, 4MTs, 3MTs. The main difference was where the sides met the angle the B.R. types  had more of a curve than the Ivatt's angle.

HTH

OzzyO.

Hi OzzyO

Yes you are quite correct, but, the Ivatt 4 tender was quite distinctive viewed from the back and I don't think anything else had this shape of tender.

post-4712-0-75161100-1409145836.jpg

Apologies to Tony for hijacking your thread.

Ian

Good point Bob - I was going to suggest emptying them first - but not immediately before practising the weathering!

I was on with the weathering yesterday, I can get some good results, but sometimes I act like a rank amateur. I ran out of black, the white spat though the brush like an angry cat, spilt dirty cellulose thinners on the pressure gauge so that it couldn't be read. MY WD looked like a zebra and I made a right hash of spraying acrylic on the hoppers - do you know, I should of practised on a beer can first...

Anyway - I pulled it back from the brink, and photos to follow shortly, when the light gets better.

Don't worry about high jacking the thread, any discussion is interesting. 

By the way standards have flat backs to the tender 'cab', this one is at Berwyn on the Llangollen railway.

post-6972-0-01637700-1409210173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

At last here is 43156, just awaiting final touches and coal, I've copied to a degree, the photo of 43157 featured in one of the above publications. Those regulator glands were common leakers on the Ivatt 4s.

Next is Mr Scanlon's lovely rebuilt Patriot passing through the shops, with just some light road dirt.

90492, lightly weathered as per request, not too long out of shops and not too filthy.

Finally 90383, also from Colwick, somewhat more grimy, with still some more hand finishing to complete. I'm not happy with the streaking on the other side and might redo it.

post-6972-0-08090100-1409229723_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-43881600-1409229830_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-12754000-1409229924_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-12003700-1409230149_thumb.jpg

• Like 9