Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Derby Line, Gladiator LNER O4/3

dibateg

Got to look after my dainty fingers!

A day's work sees the front platform almost complete, including the deliberate mistake.. here it is at an early stage.

post-6972-0-07024100-1473493789_thumb.jpg

Well, the man that never made a mistake, never made anything! There seemed to be quite a lot of variation with the size of lubricators that were fitted to the class. After a fair bit of photo scanning I decided on the configuration as shown. One thing that needed doing was to cut a slot in the platform for the lubricator pipes to go through. The boiler is remarkable, of course its one of those truncated cones, but the etched development fits perfectly to the formers when it is rolled up. The mistake? Yeah - I got the inner buffer beam the wrong way round. Not a problem, just had to make a new pipe bracket and cut off the original, and in fact it slightly better as it's set further back.

post-6972-0-28627200-1473494100_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I covered them earlier in this thread - page 21 on and MRJ 249. They were not quite as good as I though they'd be, and the one that was of recent production - the castings were not as clean as the one I had sitting around for about 8 years..

Regards

Tony

Thanks Jon - I missed you at Telford..

I've been away cycling the Reseau Breton, great fun and covered 275k during the trip! That's Chris on the bike... not me...

post-6972-0-56364800-1474352839_thumb.jpg

Now I'm home, it's back to the workbench and I'm a lot more progressed than the latest picture. I added the hinges from 0.5 wire on the cupboards. Just solder on and then snip off the rest of the wire.

post-6972-0-52131700-1474353022_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Adrian documents this very well, so there is no sense in repeating it:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16549-standard-4mt-build-scale-7/page-5

I'm making good and determined progress. There is a lot of cleaning up and polishing of the side tank to underside castings, getting that right is important. Pretty well all the cleaning was done with emery sticks, I didn't want the risk of any file abrasions showing.

post-6972-0-47267700-1474452870_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely superb and inspiring workmanship. The accuracy of the joints, the  lack of  any visible  solder and the cleanliness is incredible! Or have  you  found  a  source of "colourless" solder?  I don't  bother  much with this  blog  of  late but  when I do, yours is  one of  the first threads I look for. Fantastic.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter, well, a lot of that is down to the kit as it fits together so well. The advantage of nickel silver is that it hides solder so well! I tend to clean the model several times during a session and I'm a fastidious cleaner upper, with scrapers and emery sticks. My new Ersa 80- watt iron is proving a godsend, so plenty of heat and sparing with the solder...

Regards

Tony

Thanks Peter, well, a lot of that is down to the kit as it fits together so well. The advantage of nickel silver is that it hides solder so well! I tend to clean the model several times during a session and I'm a fastidious cleaner upper, with scrapers and emery sticks. My new Ersa 80- watt iron is proving a godsend, so plenty of heat and sparing with the solder...

Regards

Tony

Hello Tony, 

Excellent work and always coming back to check your latest posts!! 

Regards your iron, any more gen  etc? Thinking of a new one myself and just wondering if you can give any pros or cons and price? 

Many thanks 

Andrew

Thanks Andrew -

It's an Ersa Icon 1, they are about £280, which might seem a lot. I've been using an Antex temperature controlled unit for over 20 years, but they changed the tip design, and the new bits don't have the heat transfer. So to the Ersa, it is German, and being a great fan of German engineering, it is top class. The iron is lighter than the Antex and it heats up in 6 seconds! I think its rated at 80W, and has plenty of heat for what I am doing. The unit is electronic, so can be programmed to do all sorts of things. It drops the bit temperature to 250 degrees if the iron has not been used for 5 mins and has a motion sensor to bring up to temp when you pick it up again to use it. That's all programmable too. It seems a lot of the well known 'names' in loco building use them....

So ...highly recommended, especially if you are using it every day...

Regards

Tony

After an excellent trip to Salzburg, I'm back at the workbench - I did manage to get an hour to tootle down to the railway sidings whlist Mrs T had a lie in. Although there was a lot of wagons around, it was quiet on the freight side. We don't seem to have marshalling yards like this any more in the UK, this one is pretty large.

post-6972-0-64661600-1475229807_thumb.jpg

On with the Standard, one strange omission on the etching was the ventilation holes on the bunker side of the cab, and the angle that goes over the coal watering pipe. The cab roof is not fixed on yet, that will be the last item.. I notice that 80080 in the museum at Highley, doesn't have the rounded tank vents in the bunker, they are completely missing.

post-6972-0-22209500-1475230064_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 3

I notice that 80080 in the museum at Highley, doesn't have the rounded tank vents in the bunker, they are completely missing.

I think it's 80079 in the muesum at Highley. 80080 is in traffic on the East Lancashire Railway. I haven't looked in the bunker for the vents, but next time I'm there which is Saturday 8th October I'll try and look in for you and see if 80080 has them. If the Std 4 shed is open I'll have a look at 80097 too.

• RMweb Gold

The Bury Standard 4 80097 has the bunker vents fitted I have them on Facebook and there are several photos of them on there. Here is a link to an original photo of the loco I hope it helps.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=80097+loco&client=ms-android-samsung&source=lnms&prmd=mivn&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCn8mNqbfPAhXFvRoKHVOdD4UQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=epqRmoMKr8rGwM%3A

Edited by markjj

The Bury Standard 4 80097 has the bunker vents fitted I have them on Facebook and there are several photos of them on there. Here is a link to an original photo of the loco I hope it helps.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=80097+loco&client=ms-android-samsung&source=lnms&prmd=mivn&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCn8mNqbfPAhXFvRoKHVOdD4UQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=epqRmoMKr8rGwM%3A

It does Markjj. One less bunker to climb in to  :P

Here's photographic evidence http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SnQXHGfIoOY/VnPa9qxJIII/AAAAAAAAoKw/SehkWgIn2Lk/s1600/IMG_0075.JPG

Ian

Wizzing along now, the pipe work has been added. Most preserved locos have the pipes to the ejector lagged, period photos show them unlagged. I suspect they had less joins in them when the locos were built, so these are tidy. You really have to be careful with preserved locos. some of the pipe runs are completely different! Extra SR lamp irons on the smokebox door and I need to pluck up courage to put that cab roof on permanently..

post-6972-0-60404000-1475478550_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So, there we are, ready for the paint shop ( i.e. Warren ) . I couldn't see how the cab roof could be fixed tidily after painting, so it is now. Access into the cab is from underneath via a removable cab floor - which also has the backhead attached to it.

post-6972-0-54482200-1475737175_thumb.jpg

• Like 6