West Coast railways

I'm about to do an order with Fox, but I can't find any waterslide for West coast railways. I then done a quick google and still nothing. Are there any out thier or have I missed something?

Regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the information on transfers. I've placed an order and await the arrival.

I have placed an order for Railmatch West Coast Livery acrylic. As per a conversation on another thread, I prefer enamels. Does anyone out there know of an alternative supplier of this colour in enamel?

I've looked at Precision Paint's and found BR maroon. Is this the same colour? I remember reading about a class 47 WCR's that was described as this colour.

Best regards,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I've now completed my first 37 respray. Now I'm wonder about doing some coaches. can you tell me if the coach colour is the same shade or is it standard BR maroon?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

All the best,

Mark

I recently picked a loose paint flake off a wcrc coach (it was already peeling off so i didnt consider i was doing any damage) and compared it directly against a BR maroon coach. I couldn't tell the difference so I'm going with the theory it's the same colour all be it done with modern paints. The striping is also the same being a yellow-gold and black line although the wcrc seems a bit thicker, although it is made of vinyl tape rather than printed.

As already mentioned, BR and West Coast Maroons are very different!

post-6899-0-92938500-1313403662_thumb.jpg

I've got to agree with the the theory that the coaching stock is standard BR maroon. When I've seen Western Champion working with WCRC stock, the whole train is one uniform colour, with a dull brown 47 on the back

A thought I've had to doing a train of WCRC mk1s is to take some RTR mk1s and just repaint the ends to maroon from black is probably the easiest way

HTH

jo

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I've a couple LMS maroon MK1 coaches that will soon be redundant, so thought I could respray them. I know the two are very different, but you can't always trust photos online of which I have seen coach colours the same as the loco's. Always better to ask first before going hell for leather at it and being wrong.

With using the LMS coaches (silver roofs). I'll need a roof colour, but in my searches I've found three shades of grey under the tittle BR coach roof grey, two were the standard railmatch codes, but one started "RC". Can you tell me which code I actually need?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get it right with decals costing £10 for numbers and another £10 for logos

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, the carriages that are the same colour as the locos are the Royal Scotsman - one prestige train operated by WCRC, with the locos painted to match.

As far as I'm aware, all WCRC stock in normal usage is BR style maroon, with the odd bit of chocolate and cream etc

With regards to roof grey - I'd recommend using what looks right to you. The picture I posted earlier shows at least 3 shades. And when you take weathering into account...

jo

Hi Jo,

The pictures I've found online surprisingly had no title but now you say it, it makes perfect sense. What a idiot I am , I've taken pics of it. :slow:

In my defence it was steam pulled and I've the mother of all toothache today. :cry: I'm also blonde, does it show sometimes? :whistle:

Best regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a suitable 47 in RTR that is the correct spec to be repainted into on of the West coast locos? I don't care which one I just fancy a maroon 47 and would rather just paint an existing loco than have to modify and detail first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

As mentioned above I have some LMS coach stock that I would like to respray but I'm not 100% sure if they will be suitable. I have read online that the WCRC has some stock but I've not managed to track down any other information. Can anyone help shed some light on this subject for me?

Best regards,

Mark

I doubt that you would see any ex LMS coaches on the main line nowadays. The WCRC set which went to Scarborough with Duchess of Sutherland last Saturday was a mix of Mark 1s and 2s with a Met Cam Pullman and a Mk2 Pullman brake end (the only vehicle not in maroon BTW) thrown in. If you would like me to I could give you a consist and I even took a picture of every coach.

47237 which was taken off at Derby had an inset headcode panel at the fan end and flush at the other. 47804 which tailed the train has an inset panel at the fan end but I didn't get a pic of the other end.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As mentioned above, the loco and coach shades are different. http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinelsey/8113896252/

I would concur that the WCRC coaches are BR maroon and the locos are a darker shade.

I'm trying to track down a colour match for the locos and the best I've got so far is BS381c - 541 maroon. http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=BS 381C&cRef=BS381+541

Phoenix Precision do it in their range.

Would other readers agree about the loco colour?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi all,

having contacts at WCRC Carnforth, the coach colour is not BR maroon, its got a more red tint to it, i havent done any coaches in WCRC livery so i havent expermineted to get the correct shade, however, i have done 5 or 6 locos in WCRC livery, i use Precision Paints Enamel Metropolitan Maroon, which is just a shade too brown, so, i add Precisions Loco Lining Red to take an edge off the Met Maroon, and bring out the red tint in the paint. I have had my models next to a wcrc loco and it aint a kick in the ars* off it.

HTH

Lee

Hi all,

having contacts at WCRC Carnforth, the coach colour is not BR maroon, its got a more red tint to it, i havent done any coaches in WCRC livery so i havent expermineted to get the correct shade, however, i have done 5 or 6 locos in WCRC livery, i use Precision Paints Enamel Metropolitan Maroon, which is just a shade too brown, so, i add Precisions Loco Lining Red to take an edge off the Met Maroon, and bring out the red tint in the paint. I have had my models next to a wcrc loco and it aint a kick in the ars* off it.

HTH

Lee

PS, i get my WCRC transfers, numbers etc from r3sprays. www.r3sprays.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

Ta for the info.

I've tracked down WCRC maroon Railmatch 2280 acrylic. (Ta Andi)

As with any of the red based pigments, maroon is a PITA, especially as it seems to weather so quickly (just like NWR yellow....)

As long as the locos look darker than the coaches, then it'll probably do me.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I think its still relevant as I was looking for the info last week!

I did an experiment, thin coat of Halfords Rover Damask red over black on the left, excuse the dust!

gallery_16311_4151_14582.jpg

Its definitely darker than the coaches, although they are your model railway village ones!!

gallery_16311_4151_145094.jpg

Lima, 33029

gallery_16311_4151_142586.jpg

this uses a mixture of RAILTEC transfers and Precision decals + blue stars printed on crafty computer paper.

all sealed with Halfords acrylic satin lacquer which didn't attack the transfers.

I'm not saying its right but it was an easy way to get close. Hope someone else finds this useful.

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Archived