Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

16t minerals

Whilst this one still needs a repaint I thought I would share the fruit of 4 hours I have spent today on this clasp brake MCV. Bachmann non top flap basic model; V hangers, shortened brake handles and clasp brakes from Parkside sprues for the Grampus; second vacuum cylinder from a Parkside BR planked vent van. 1' 8.5" oleo buffers taken from a Parkside Tube (I couldn't be bothered to by one more pack of MJT sprung ones). The Bachmann body has also had the bottom of the sides rounded-off as per the 1970s rebodied wagons.

post-7112-0-31568300-1334424223_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-73707000-1334424228_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-88689200-1334424217_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3

*If you are interested**,

Always :P

Model looks well Flood; I've done a few clasp braked ones but always with the Red Panda chassis (or bits thereof) on kits, I'd not thought of butchering the Bachy underframe.

The 9F shot at Hest Bank is interesting - the first two wagons are 21T Felix Pole type ex-POs but to different heights, something that's only really evident when you see them together like that. The first one also bears a SUBEX disposal code, suggesting it's at or near its expenditure limit for repairs (there are several of these codes that can be seen in mid 60s shots but I dont think anybody has fully discovered their meaning).

*If you are interested**, CaCO3 → CaO + CO2(g). CaO is calcium oxide, or quicklime. If this gets wet, it reacts to produce calcium hydroxide, in an exothermic reaction - this feature is used in "self-heating" cans. Although not flammable in itself, the heat can set fire to other materials nearby, and also produce burns to the skin, etc. Dissolved in water, and then bubbling carbon dioxide through the solution, can precipitate a return to CaCO3.

**If you are not interested, it is still true.

Two quarries locally to me, historically had problems with wooden wagons carrying processed lime (particularly Dolime) catching fire when the tarps split. It was one reason why, in conjunction with Steetly, the L type containers were developed. L type containers apparently had rubber seals to prevent the ingress of moisture but I've never managed to confirm this.

So with me wandering of topic may I offer up these these16 tonners.

http://www.embsaybol...oric/fws059.jpg

http://www.embsaybol...oric/fws090.jpg

Hope you haven’t had them before…

Porcy

• Like 3

some superb shots from George Woods, who also took plenty of cinefilm around this time, features on a lot of the B&R videos.

6935437958_2a6d0d6327_b.jpg

Rose Grove May 1968 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6935433924_7503a65fdc_b.jpg

48247 Rose Grove May 13.7.68 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6935427564_738a5d755f_b.jpg

48423 Rose Grove May 1968 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 3

Some great reference and detail shots here.

Just popping back to the Tinsley Class 20s photo again, is that one at bottom right a longer wheelbase?

Certainly looks like one of the ones converted from Palbricks and the dimensions tally. 10 ft wheelbase instead of 9 ft, see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the recently posted photos makes me ashamed of the pristine state of my 16t minerals. Maybe I will have to invest in a bit of weathering technique to c**p them up a bit.

Super photos, Michael. More, please!!

Jeff

• Like 1

only thing to bear in mind as im sure those who know a lot more than me about wagon markings etc, is try and get shots from the era you are modelling, the 1968 shots are superb for those modelling that era and just after, but some of the markings are newish around that time.

anywayz, there is a 16tonner in this shot if you look close...

6930040314_3dc1778291_b.jpg

Dover. by cabsaab900, on Flickr