Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

They were built in the mid 1970s on redundant Palbrick underframes. It is a bit odd seeing a 16T mineral with LMS clasp brakes:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Justin

Ah, too late for my modelling period.  Pity...  

Mind, that's when I was working on the railway, and I was still unaware of them!

Edited by The Johnster

They were built in the mid 1970s on redundant Palbrick underframes. It is a bit odd seeing a 16T mineral with LMS clasp brakes:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Justin

Or with roller-bearings:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft/h3edd6b7#h3edd6b7

For such a relatively small number of vehicles, there was quite a variety of detail. I wonder if there was ever one with the LMS clasp-brake gear and J-hangers.

Any info what it looked like?

From the manual.

post-508-0-72796800-1493568676.jpg

When uncoupling two adjacent vehicles both fitted with the auto coupler, the uncoupling action was undertook by pulling a small lever at the left outer side of the wagon, much like american buckeyes. A vac pipe auto connector/disconnect was also built in to the coupling head.

P

• Like 2

I think this is as good a place as any to ask this question...

OO gauge 16-ton minerals - I have been looking to buy some online but am reluctant to do so as I am aware that not all manufacturers make their models with the correct wheelbase and it's not easy to tell when peering at a poor-quality picture on screen, on ebay . I have some fairly recent Bachmann 16-tonners and know they are fine but what about Dapol and others?

The kit selection of 4mm 16 ton minerals is fine with several variations available!

The rtr from Bachmann in the current offerings are fine but the early Bachmann are the old Mainline ones and the Dapol are a hybrid of the Wrenn body and Dapol chassis with the overlong 17' 6" chassis and 10' wheel base!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

Agree with Mark that the kit is probably the best option. If you plan to run empties there is also the fact that most of the RTR offerings have very little internal detail.

P

• RMweb Gold

I think this is as good a place as any to ask this question...

OO gauge 16-ton minerals - I have been looking to buy some online but am reluctant to do so as I am aware that not all manufacturers make their models with the correct wheelbase and it's not easy to tell when peering at a poor-quality picture on screen, on ebay . I have some fairly recent Bachmann 16-tonners and know they are fine but what about Dapol and others?

Stick with Baccy and Oxford for the correct wheelbase.

• RMweb Gold

I like how they have helpfully tilted that first wagon towards the camera so that we can see the inside rivet detail.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Re the Freshford Manor photo, I cannot quite make out what the wagon is carrying under the tarp, despite the picture blowing up really will without pixelating, but mineral wagons, a number of which would be surplus to traffic requirements in summer due to the decline in household and gasworks coal traffic, were often cleaned out and used for seasonal traffic such as sugar beet from East Anglia, and that may be the solution to this mystery.