Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

With holes in the sides and a wheelbarrow sticking out the top?

To flippin right i do... :mosking: just trying to scale those holes down to size this aft' and get them drilled and cut out before putting the sides and ends together  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some close-ups of individual wagons for Owd Bob

6654958923_6171df206a_z.jpgADB577004 ZHV by surfacestock, on Flickr

6588968369_e11373a906_z.jpgB385860 by surfacestock, on Flickr

5343667902_1343e38f91_z.jpgDB555719 by surfacestock, on Flickr

The top picture was taken in the sidings behind platform 3 at Cambridge station, known locally as the "Coalfields Yard", with part of Spillers mill behind it.  Contrary to the title page of the Flickr album, several pictures in the album, including this one, were taken a lot later than 1982!  I remember seeing one of the Class 08 pilots trundling this MCV and the ex Pipe wagon shown in one of the other pictures in the album through the station from north to south one day then putting them in this siding, where they remained indefinitely.  They seem to be full of various junk and rubbish as can be seen; it looked as though perhaps they might have come from Coldham's Lane diesel depot or somewhere like that, after somebody had had a 'clear out'.  This would have been in the mid 1990s I should think, long after such wagons were in regular service (even Departmental).

I have recently scanned some prints which I have unearthed. Here's a couple to start off: Both taken at Doncaster on 3rd April 1984.

attachicon.gifB311084 Doncaster 3 April 1984.jpg

attachicon.gifB311481 Doncaster 3 April 1984.jpg

The top pic has I think coupled to the 21 tonner and behind the sliding door pal vans you wouldn't have a pic of them by any chance? phil

I have recently scanned some prints which I have unearthed. Here's a couple to start off: Both taken at Doncaster on 3rd April 1984.

Nice pictures.

As a Freight Guard in the early 80's we used to work a morning service from Tonbridge West Yard that could call at Ashford, Paddock Wood (IIRC), Ashford the either Canterbury West and Ramsgate or Folkestone East and Dover, not sure if it was times round via Deal to Ramsgate.  I remember the state of the minfits, for Bauxite read Rust..  I'm sure there was a 2 door version on one occasion.  At Canterbury West you had to shunt across to the sidings that were on the up side...

post-2484-0-90132600-1520099918.jpg

Wish I taken more pictures....

The top picture was taken in the sidings behind platform 3 at Cambridge station, known locally as the "Coalfields Yard", with part of Spillers mill behind it.  Contrary to the title page of the Flickr album, several pictures in the album, including this one, were taken a lot later than 1982!  I remember seeing one of the Class 08 pilots trundling this MCV and the ex Pipe wagon shown in one of the other pictures in the album through the station from north to south one day then putting them in this siding, where they remained indefinitely.  They seem to be full of various junk and rubbish as can be seen; it looked as though perhaps they might have come from Coldham's Lane diesel depot or somewhere like that, after somebody had had a 'clear out'.  This would have been in the mid 1990s I should think, long after such wagons were in regular service (even Departmental).

The (very small) lettering, towards the right hand end, says something about 'Return to Cambridge Diesel Depot. There were a few depots which didn't have decent road access, so waste and scrap would be taken by rail to a suitable transhipment point. Malago Vale carriage sidings in Bristol had a similar arrangement.

• RMweb Premium

The (very small) lettering, towards the right hand end, says something about 'Return to Cambridge Diesel Depot. There were a few depots which didn't have decent road access, so waste and scrap would be taken by rail to a suitable transhipment point. Malago Vale carriage sidings in Bristol had a similar arrangement.

Thanks, so it does - I'd forgotten about that.  I don't believe it ever was returned, in fact I don't think it ever moved again on its own wheels, although it must have somehow as that area is now part of the Guided Busway.

Strange for a topic on 16ton Mineral all sorts of other sizes are appearing!

Really these should have their own topics!

Mark Saunders

I made a similar comment a while ago and was told that the thread had been extended to include other pre-TOPS steel bodied flat bottom mineral wagons and that hogher capacity coal wagons and Iron Ore Tipplers were acceptable. Perhaps the scope of the title should be changed.

Anyway, here are today's two. Both 16 Tonners this time. B574231 at Doncaster on 3rd July 1984:

post-7238-0-78694700-1520158074.jpg

and B583246 on 28 September 1984:

post-7238-0-40422400-1520158107.jpg

• Like 4

When was the reinforcing of the end doors introduced?

I'm pretty certain it's been there since day one.

I'm also pretty sure it was there on the LMS built examples including their end door iron ore version. I'm off out for a few hours I'll check up tonight.

From memory all  immediate post war builds that Woolich Arsenal turned out had pressed doors and relied on the pressed out section that extended along almost the full width of the bottom of the end door for their strength.

P

The second of those is a rebody, I understand these usually had the end door at the opposite end.

Already answered.

Just noticed that some but not all have lamp brackets, something i'll put on my model i think. 

The VB fitted ones have lamp irons, the unfitted ones don't.

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that some but not all have lamp brackets, something i'll put on my model i think. 

Bear in mind the lamp iron was on the door, swaps didn't always retain the lamp, so some went without, some had new brackets welded in slightly different places.

Mike.