Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

That's not strictly true Colin! The vac' pipe should go the length of the vehicle, for example, and there a few other bits that are a bit representative but there's precious little missing otherwise and the crowd of detail suggests that what is missing is actually present and I am quite pleased with it. Justin's etches make this very much easier.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Is that the one from SR Wagons vol. 4 Ian? I suppose that Mike King must have made one as well. To be honest, one of these vans is an extravagance (there were three, and one of those had a 9' wheelbase and was withdrawn before 1961), two might be too many, interesting though they are. I know I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to building rarities and one offs - see the Coil H earlier in the thread, even the Minfit is a bit of a luxury - but it is something to be careful about unless a layout is to be a wagon zoo.

Adam

That's not strictly true Colin! The vac' pipe should go the length of the vehicle, for example, and there a few other bits that are a bit representative but there's precious little missing otherwise and the crowd of detail suggests that what is missing is actually present and I am quite pleased with it. Justin's etches make this very much easier.

Adam

Oh Dear Adam!

So it hasn't got working vacuum brakes? 

Only joking !  I really meant that the wagon seemed to have all the parts fitted that would be seen in normal running rather than what might seen in the event of a catastrophic derailment.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of pictures of my models posed on Ullypug's P4 layout Wheal Elizabeth (thank you Andrew) at last weekend's Southampton show. The AEC is not quite appropriate to Cornwall; it's a Somerset owned and registered lorry! The clayliner tank is, however, albeit unfinished. Still, I have now made the catwalk for the barrel top and have devised a way of fixing it on more permanently than the blu-tak doing the job currently. The brief exibition appearance also spurred me into finishing the AEC. The small matters of licence discs, wipers and cab back quarterlights have been tackled and it has even been very gently weathered (Bird brothers seem to have kept their vehicles clean). 

post-256-0-32556500-1390834606.gif

Yes, the lettering was done by hand and one bonus of this is that the red lettering above the screens has worn away slightly in what I think is quite a realistic fashion; I would never have dared doing this deliberately! Even on my laptop, this picture is about 1.5 times actual size so I don't think that the camera is too unkind.

post-256-0-59798100-1390834586.gif

Still lots to do to the clayliner tank but the scale of the jobs are minor compared to the work that has already been completed. I've just spotted that I've missed the solebar label clip for example. Hmm.

Adam

• Like 10

Hi Adam,

Super shots of your models.  That wagon is looking good and the lorry has an air of Geoff Kent about it.  It is difficult to tell from that particular photo what scale the models actually are.  I would have said 7mm at first glance!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks both (and all those clicking the buttons on the bottom right).

Here are a couple of pictures of the catwalks:

post-256-0-58113500-1390896029.gif

These are quite simple and copy the real thing to some extent. They consist of etched mesh (Scalelink SLF108) and some bits of 0.8mm milled angle. Rather than attempting to make up the framework separately, I drew up a simple template on some scrap A4, tinned a bit of the mesh and gently scribed the lines from the template onto the mesh before sweating the angle into place. A few strategic solder fillets here and there and job done. The complete assembly was trimmed out of the sheet with an ageing scalpel blade and filed up. This was easier than I thought and definitely easier than the other way about.

post-256-0-34221000-1390896050.gif

The legs you can see will be anchored in holes in the tank while the remainder (not yet added) will be cosmetic. Hope that helps.

Adam

Thank you Arthur. The AEC Mercury is based on Road Transport Images cab, wheels and chassis with my own scratchbuilt bodywork. I know that Base Toys do a Mercury, but like most of their lorry cabs (and all of their lorry wheels), it is not all that convincing.

Adam

PS, thanks again to Andrew (Ullypug) and, should you fancy repainting your own lorry to something appropriate for ECC, transfers for their haulage subsidiaries, Heavy Transport Ltd and Western Express can also be had from RTI: http://www.roadtransportimages.com/transfers/heavy-transport/western-express-haulage-st.-austell-cornwall/flypage-ask.tpl.html

• RMweb Gold

Is that the one from SR Wagons vol. 4 Ian? I suppose that Mike King must have made one as well. To be honest, one of these vans is an extravagance (there were three, and one of those had a 9' wheelbase and was withdrawn before 1961), two might be too many, interesting though they are. I know I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to building rarities and one offs - see the Coil H earlier in the thread, even the Minfit is a bit of a luxury - but it is something to be careful about unless a layout is to be a wagon zoo

They might have been rare but them seem to get around a bit in pics. I was browsing a book I borrowed off my dad (he still lives in Hythe) caled Southampton's Railways. I was studying a pic of the Town Quay taken in the late 30's primarily to spot the makeup of wagons from the various companies. There amongst all the 'normal' vans and opens was lurking one of your pent roof diagram. If it wasn't for your model I would probably have completely overlooked it.

They might have been rare but them seem to get around a bit in pics. I was browsing a book I borrowed off my dad (he still lives in Hythe) caled Southampton's Railways. I was studying a pic of the Town Quay taken in the late 30's primarily to spot the makeup of wagons from the various companies. There amongst all the 'normal' vans and opens was lurking one of your pent roof diagram. If it wasn't for your model I would probably have completely overlooked it.

In the '30s? I'm afraid that either the photo has been mis-dated or that it's something else. I might have access to that book, do you have the page number and full title? These vans weren't converted until 1943 and only built in their original form in 1939  (SR Wagons vol. 4, p. 65). There were a few vans - several types of ferry van, for example and, famously, privately owned salt wagons and some grain vans with broadly similar roofs. In any event, with the wagon and carriage works at Eastleigh being so close seeing pictures of SR oddities in the Southampton area shouldn't be too surprising. After nationalisation, these things were just another 10' wb fitted van and would have been common user; they could have appeared absolutely anywhere.

Adam

Edited by Adam

I knew there was something I'd missed Brian, thanks. For those interested in the lorry, here are a couple of pictures of the completed, weathered, vehicle.

post-256-0-47762100-1390989382.gif

post-256-0-75861100-1390989404.gif

While I was at it, I completed the other lorry I had on the go (which I think was pictured back up the thread), a Bedford S type tipper. A strange omission from the die-cast ranges this; for a time the 'Big Bedford' was as ubiquitous as the TK which replaced it. Another RTI cab with a host of home brewed bits and a fictional but hopefully plausible livery.

post-256-0-81075700-1390989416.gif

post-256-0-91019300-1390989434.gif

Given that this model is envisaged as part of a fleet working in the coal industry I feel that it is a bit clean at present, not least because this would be a vehicle towards the end of its working life by the mid-60s. I've done an Albion Reiver 6 wheeler in the same livery. There's the basis of a diorama here...

post-256-0-72645400-1390990238.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 14

Yes, the Big Bedford is a significant gap in the die cast ranges, not glamorous enough perhaps. You've captured the every day scene with those models.

I have to admire your hand lettering Adam, it really does add a lot to the overall impression.

• RMweb Gold
Adam, on 29 Jan 2014 - 09:25, said:

In the '30s? I'm afraid that either the photo has been mis-dated or that it's something else. I might have access to that book, do you have the page number and full title? These vans weren't converted until 1943 and only built in their original form in 1939  (SR Wagons vol. 4, p. 65). There were a few vans - several types of ferry van, for example and, famously, privately owned salt wagons and some grain vans with broadly similar roofs. In any event, with the wagon and carriage works at Eastleigh being so close seeing pictures of SR oddities in the Southampton area shouldn't be too surprising. After nationalisation, these things were just another 10' wb fitted van and would have been common user; they could have appeared absolutely anywhere.

Adam

Apologies if I'm butting in, but after 57xx's post I went straight to my copy of "Southampton's Railways" by Bert Moody (ISBN 0-906899-78-8) and on page 112 in the lower photograph, there is indeed a pent-roofed wagon towards the LH side of the picture...

It's not a great photo and from a distance, but I have to say that I think the Fat Controller's suggestion is correct - it looks to me more like a lime or salt wagon - the roof seems to start too low down to be a van (although it is higher than the van to its immediate right).

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I'm butting in, but after 57xx's post I went straight to my copy of "Southampton's Railways" by Bert Moody (ISBN 0-906899-78- 8) and on page 112 in the lower photograph, there is indeed a pent-roofed wagon towards the LH side of the picture...

It's not a great photo and from a distance, but I have to say that I think the Fat Controller's suggestion is correct - it looks to me more like a lime or salt wagon - the roof seems to start too low down to be a van (although it is higher than the van to its immediate right).

That's that one ZG. On closer examination I would agree, comparing it with the height of the opens in the line-up. It was the van to it's right that misled me, as the apex roof is sitting higher than the normal curved roof of the other van. What I didn't take into account is how squat that other van is!

Adam

A big thank you for your help at Southampton show -absolutely invaluable!

Also thanks for letting us have a look at some of your projects

Martin

No problem; thank you for the opportunity and well done on the pot!

Adam