Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

Very impressive, especially as all the photos are enlargements of the model. I've not noted the 51L hopper before. I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Not a lot of the detail you see comes with the kit in the form you see it and the brakeshoes (which I'm currently grappling with) are especially horrid; they're about 150% of the size they should be in every direction. The outers, at least, will be replaced, probably in plastic since they don't actually fit. Even so, it shan't be wanting for weight. See the Wizard Models pages for a picture of the out of the packet version: http://www.51l.co.uk/new/wagon_kits/ironstone/166_page.htm

There's also a kit for an unfitted 1/163: http://www.51l.co.uk/new/wagon_kits/ironstone/163_page.htm which looks good (and at £21 is probably better value, though sharing the over-thick brass etches and odd material choices, it also has the nice cast resin hopper and fewer complicated bits reproduced much larger than scale).

I'd happily pay extra for one designed by Justin Newitt (not that I have any idea whether this is something Justin might be planning).

Adam

Edited by Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have thought about trying to do some iron ore hopper kits, indeed I measured up the last remaining 1/167 at the East Anglian Railway Museum a couple of years ago. I have visions of moving the iron ore terminal from Newport to Rumney and having an excuse for the trains to Ebbw Vale (top and tailed by 37s :-) ) and Llanwern. LMS ore hoopers would also be nice along with a decent length Chas Roberts model. None would be likely to appear in the near future as the next couple of years worth of releases are already mapped out. I have occasionally thought that it wouldn't be entirely suprising to see something like a 1/163 apear in RTR form at some point though I imagine the reluctance to do RTR wagons increasing with the current economic direction.

Justin

Thanks Justin - hope you had a good time in greater Portsmouth? This model wouldn't have progressed to this extent had it not been for the spares in your kits. I wouldn't be amazed if one of the uniftted versions was forthcoming at some point but in the current economic environment, who knows when? My next challenge will have to be independent of the spares box, since I've decided the brakeshoes are beyond the pale and nothing in stock is really suitable. While I think about what I'll do about that, I've fished out one of your BR clasp-braked chassis. I've got quite some way already - this will be the third one I've done so I'm familiar with the way it goes together - and this one will go under a Palvan (Parkside).

LMS iron ore hoppers would be very nice.

Good progress with the hopper Adam, I've got one in the cupboard - but the fold-up sole bar has made other projects more appealing..

Paul A. 

Thanks Paul - believe me, the fold up solebar is the least of your worries... That said, it will go together, but all that whitemetal really makes resort to adhesive a case of when rather than if.

Adam

Thanks Justin - hope you had a good time in greater Portsmouth? This model wouldn't have progressed to this extent had it not been for the spares in your kits. I wouldn't be amazed if one of the uniftted versions was forthcoming at some point but in the current economic environment, who knows when? My next challenge will have to be independent of the spares box, since I've decided the brakeshoes are beyond the pale and nothing in stock is really suitable. While I think about what I'll do about that, I've fished out one of your BR clasp-braked chassis. I've got quite some way already - this will be the third one I've done so I'm familiar with the way it goes together - and this one will go under a Palvan (Parkside).

The Portsmouth show was great. It's definately one of the better small shows around and seems to attract a really nice crowd. Infinately more preferable to the rugby scrum that will take place in a hanger near birmingham this coming weekend! They do a great job and it's actually nice that it's a one day show.

The clasp brakes on the those 1/166 hoppers were curious with their upside down NER clasp brake arrangement. The only other wagon type I've seen the arrangement on are the Prestwins. I can see why you want to replace the ones in the kit, they look horrid! The shoes themselves look like the type used on the BR clasp brake. I may have enough spares around for a wagon's worth and I've definately got some spare push rods to give you the link part that goes in front of the wheels if you're interested? You'd have to dort out the hangers but it would give you a start.

Justin

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

I've been reading back over the thread about modelling hoods. I've got a rake of Clayhoods in works at the moment and thinking about the hood, would you think the Milliput method would work on those?

Having said that the hoods only cover the two top planks so I'm not sure there would be enough 'area' to do it. I know you haven't done any Clayhoods but have you any thoughts?

Wayne

Hi Adam,

I've been reading back over the thread about modelling hoods. I've got a rake of Clayhoods in works at the moment and thinking about the hood, would you think the Milliput method would work on those?

Having said that the hoods only cover the two top planks so I'm not sure there would be enough 'area' to do it. I know you haven't done any Clayhoods but have you any thoughts?

Wayne

I don't see why not - but note that I've only used it on the ends, built up over a sub-frame of plastic sheet. 

post-256-0-22689100-1479807734.gif

Clayhoods are perhaps a bit different to the kind of wagons I've built because the hood is different - the sheet were designed to be fixed and to sit against the ends and allow the end door to open as a flap. There are no end fixtures (hinges for the folding sheet rails): http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brclayhood/h15ae1e81#h9303b36

In this case, what I'd try is doing this all from tissue paper (the sort used in wrapping rather than Kleenex or similar) soaked with diluted PVA. First, I'd cover the ends, and then the 'tent', sealing the whole with PVA to get the nylon texture. Milliput would work, but it is a faff...

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Taking a break from mineral wagons of various kinds and in the midst of a rather stressful couple of weeks at work, I've knocked up a Parkside Palvan on a Rumney Models chassis. There's nothing wrong with the chassis supplied, and the body is a superb set of mouldings, but I wanted an 8-shoe braked version.

I rather like Palvans, for all that they were a failure in their intended use. They represent transition in the post-war world in a way that almost no other railway vehicle does. They are thoroughly traditional, based on RCH spec's and dimensions and entirely in keeping with pre-nationalisation design philosophy in their size and the small-load, common carrier, ethos. There are hints at modernity in their construction: plywood sheeting and AVB from new. And yet... the traffic they were built for was a new phenomenon, the early days of palletised, mechanically handled bulk goods. Going on the allocations, to places like Port Sunlight, this was in the form of washing powder and tinned products: it's notable that for similar traffics, such as motor car parts, were carried in hired in continental ferry vans (there are some nice pictures in Dave Larkin's latest - Italian vans with Austin labels).

Like much of the Modernisation Plan rolling stock, they were built in substantial numbers, often alongside or very shortly before vehicles properly realising the transformation that these techniques would realise. The vanwide, a near contemporary in design terms, was a much more successful, if still reactive design. The visual contrast is not quite as stark as the fitted 21 tonners (a late 19th century design idea) alongside the first of the MGR hoppers, but it was the extent to which the railway was behind the curve is every bit as striking.

Finally, their failure - witness this pair condemned at Feltham in '68 - owing to the technological problems of getting short wheelbase running gear to cope with the uneven loading caused by the large hinged doors on opposing corners - ironically has led to the type being massively over-represented in preservation; their afterlife in stores and army service saw to that.

post-256-0-32469800-1480105230.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 10

And here it is, ready for paint.

post-256-0-38055600-1480188948_thumb.jpg

Wagons that have been painted - ok, repainted (and it looks a bit of a mess, to tell you the truth) - include the Charringtons 21 tonner now with the orrect, if scruffy grey band. I have a plan for the required red letters...

post-256-0-80440900-1480188898.gif

post-256-0-14496300-1480188932.gif

Rather tidier is the 1/107, dressed in the original livery with limited black boxes. This, like quite a few other vehicles right now, wants weathering.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 9

I alluded above to the weathering backlog and have now done something about it. This prbably isn't enough, but it's a start. First, the BR hybar which is, finally, complete:

post-256-0-31882200-1480858614.gif

Points to note are that I've used just the four colours for weathering: matt leather, metalcote gunmetal, matt rust brown (no. 100) and a spot of white, mainly employed on the bare timbers inside. Other things to notice is that the bottom plank (the one that protects the ends of the floor boards) is stained with goodness knows what that have leach out for the foor and the similar much showing around the bolt heads on the corner plates.

The other wagon to be complete is a Dogfish, the third featured in this thread. This one is in its original black livery - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish/h2e31cc05#h2e31cc05 - with black handwheels. Perhaps surprisingly, these survived in traffic for quite a while. The weatehring is based on this picture, taken at Penderyn quarry (which is the 'return to' branding on the two wagons furthest from the photgrapher): https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/14124929045/in/photolist-bDSf6E-ec5GaZ-nwaXip-ecbuJA-bSC9hP-ec5waM-bSC9gB-bSC9gv-bSC9iR-bSC9iM

post-256-0-76350900-1480858631.gif

And here with its pair:

post-256-0-39883400-1480858639_thumb.gif

Transfers in each case are from Cambridge Custom Transfers. 

Adam

EDITED to remove the worst of the many typos

Edited by Adam
  • Like 9

This wagon is by way of an experiment in producing an ICI hydroflouric acid tank used for liquid chlorine traffic. For some reason, Hornby Dublo chose to model this years ago and John Isherwood of CCT does transfers for it (as well as the more common purpose-built chlorine tanks which were shorter, with a 10' 6" wheelbase). I happened across a deformed and beaten up tank, sans chassis, at the bottom of a box. John used an Airfix RTR hopper chassis under his (a good option - if I wanted a 10' 6" one, I'd use Parkside components) but I've chosen to use a Rumney Models production intended to go under a 21 ton coal hopper since it provides for the visible framing. This isn't 100 per cent correct, but gives the right impression. 

post-256-0-55609100-1481369568.gif

The tank is in a reasonable state, following lots of filler and some internal bracing:

post-256-0-03790000-1481369055.gif

Adam

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm just hoping that nice Mr Newitt might consider doing a 12ft RCH underframe at some point in the future.  Oooh I've started wish listing!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/iciunfittank/h1c67aa07#h1c67aa07

P

Getcher 'and in yer pocket then Paul, mek us all 'appy!!

Mike.

I'm just hoping that nice Mr Newitt might consider doing a 12ft RCH underframe at some point in the future.  Oooh I've started wish listing!

Yes, it's a shame that he doesn't do one with the visible framing: I have uses for one or two of these.

Hi both,

I'm getting there with some proper open underframes for tank wagons! Currently on my workbench is the prototype for what should end up be being several different types of tank wagon underframe. It's going together better than I had anticipated and is robust enough to assemble (which was my main reservation about doing an open underframe). I'll looking at doing a 12' one with a view to using it under the Airfix/Hornby 20T body though of course you could use under other things.

post-13847-0-54695100-1481378041_thumb.jpg

post-13847-0-31140600-1481378053_thumb.jpg

Justin

• Like 8

Hi both,

I'm getting there with some proper open underframes for tank wagons! 

I've just wet my pants!

I've got the Durbar walkways sorted. Decent ladder frames included on the etch?

Such a pity that the tank is underscale for the majority of the Shell & Esso 20 tonners.

Edited by Porcy Mane

Now that is good news. Thank you Justin, I can see that I might have a few more things like this on the cards, given time: there's all sorts of interesting things in the diagram books that might be opened up this way, and not only tank wagons. Bring on the Plastruct tube!

Adam

• Like 1