Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

• RMweb Premium

these are the JE bits

attachicon.gif21T hopper bits Judith Edge (1600x781).jpg

notice Mike  did these in 2006... 

Hope it helps Adam, just keep up the good work!

Baz

The parts look like they are from the Anhydrite wagon chassis Mike did many Moons ago. I have quite a lot of similar bits lying around from my own Anhydrite builds in the 'Bits Box' . If you need some pm me Adam.

Cheers

Ian

On 03/10/2016 at 18:47, macgeordie said:

The parts look like they are from the Anhydrite wagon chassis Mike did many Moons ago. I have quite a lot of similar bits lying around from my own Anhydrite builds in the 'Bits Box' . If you need some pm me Adam.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, I've fabricated some which wasn't a huge challenge. I have now applied paint, taking care to retain the writing on the solebar. The lettering on the body is from Cambridge Custom Transfers:

Hornby_Hop21_14.gif.6d07313ff73dc960ec90a6aaa2c1e4b7.gif

Obviously it must be weathered but that's for another time. Compare and contrast with the first one:

Hornby_Hop21_8.gif.68d8e32672953f7b8cf05cc728c1b291.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 13

While on a trip to the Mid-Hants the other weekend, I picked up one of Bachmann's new anchor-mounted tanks. These models are – inevitably, given the amount of variation in the prototypes – something of a compromise. This is most evident in the class B tanks such as this ESSO example, whose livery was clearly derived from this works photograph: http://www.modeljunction.com/webshop/viewitem.php?productid=1454

The barrel is certainly longer relative to the chassis and also of a greater diameter than that represented by Bachmann’s moulding. To tackle the latter would mean throwing away much of Bachmann’s good work for little visual benefit, but the former can be worked with. Because the barrel smaller in diameter than it might be, lengthening to something wholly accurate  would be ill-advised – especially as I wanted to retain the lettering – but something can be done, as Pete Johnson has.

The picture linked to below shows that the barrel should extend to the outer face of the headstocks with the ends protruding beyond them:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-2065-0-86326800-1351459244.jpg

My compromise is to extend the barrel using two discs of black 40 thou’ plastic which gives an impression of the required length while remaining in proportion with the diameter.

post-256-0-88193500-1476215664.gif

I lopped the ends off with a combination of razor saw and piercing saw, the two discs being marked out oversize with my compass cutter. These were shaped and then glued in place and the resulting gaps (I really could have done this more tidily) filled with Miliput.

post-256-0-42073500-1476215692.gif

post-256-0-05344700-1476215677.gif

The effect of the undersized barrel will be reduced further by replacing the ladder with something closer to scale later. Other details - fast traffic stars and registration plates - were taken from a Mainly Trains etch as the relief will show better that the neatly printed outline and lettering once weathered. The tiebars are my usual 0.75mm brass angle. I still have to add the outer vees for the brakes, but it's getting there.

It ain’t perfect, but it’s much better.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was going to produce a kit of the 20t tank wagon, being there no rivets on the barrel made it a easy choice combining it with my ladder and walkway etch and Cambrian models one piece under frame, then discovered Bachmann doing this so abandoned plans.

I was going to produce a kit of the 20t tank wagon, being there no rivets on the barrel made it a easy choice combining it with my ladder and walkway etch and Cambrian models one piece under frame, then discovered Bachmann doing this so abandoned plans.

Then why not produce one of the larger tanks built on the 21' 6" oh and 12' foot wheel base chassis?

Mark Saunders

Adam

Thanks for coming up with the solution to extending the tank as this is on my to do list but now how to do the same with the class A version and preserve the silver paint?

Mark Saunders

Hi Mark - Check your prototypes. I haven't looked all that closely at the class A types (the available models aren't in liveries I'm interested in) but my reckoning is that these are probably what the model was based on and are thus nearer the mark. If not, then a total repaint is probably essential. In black you can get away with it, more or less.

Adam

The class A's that were at BSC Lackenby in internal use and appear to be converted class B's; see Paul Bartlett's photographs of the three plain liveried ones!

A bit of perspective measuring looks like this class A tank has the same size tank as the latest Bachmann model.

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/photograph-collection/images/1200px/AAX116.jpg

It also appears to have been converted from a National Class B wagon as the remnants of the heating coils can still be seen on the right hand end.

If the Bachmann Class A liveried transfers are anything like those on my class B they should rub off with your finger nails just leaving the ladder holes to fill. A quick blast with Clear and some CCT transfers. That just leaves me with the missing solebar rivets to reproduce. (I have a plan) and I've filled a hole in my wagon fleet as the Benzole tanks were regulars at Blaydon.

For anyone wanting a 7' 2" or 7' 3" diameter 20 ton welded tank of the correct length EMA Vessel tubing (Part No VT-36) with corresponding end caps (VHC-36) at 28.6 mm is a good starting point.

Couple of pics to show where I was at with mine about a week ago in Converting an Esso Class B to the Class A Benzole tank. For those that haven't got to stripping theirs down yet the tank uses the standard Bachmann 10' underframe with a plastic insert replacing the weight to give an impression of the open frame.

Second pic shows the Bachmann undergubbins compared to a Cambrian one piece frame.

post-508-0-70235500-1476230633.jpg

post-508-0-61638600-1476230638.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Nice work Porcy. Comparing the ex-works picture with the shots in Paul Bartlett's gallery and the original length tank shown in Porcy's pictures suggests that these: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/h53b1b3f#h1288bde5 or http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/h10c18ce7#h10c18ce7 are represented by the Bachmann one as it comes. 

Good news? 

Adam

Porcy, was there any reason you scratch-built the underframe, rather than using the one Cambrian make for jobs like this?

Apologies if my post wasn't clear. For the current build I hope to use the Bachmann u/f modified to give the open frame look. The Bachmann U/F is solvent friendly but my experiments may end up in failure leaving me to drop back onto using the Cambrian frame.

To quote myself :wink_mini: I did say the second pic showed a Cambrian u/f. It has had draw beams added from evergreen channel along with springing using Dave bradwell Spring plates.

Second pic shows the Bachmann undergubbins compared to a Cambrian one piece frame.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Apologies if my post wasn't clear. For the current build I hope to use the Bachmann u/f modified to give the open frame look. The Bachmann U/F is solvent friendly but my experiments may end up in failure leaving me to drop back onto using the Cambrian frame.

To quote myself I did say the second pic showed a Cambrian u/f. It has had draw beams added from evergreen channel along with springing using Dave bradwell Spring plates.

P

Teach me to post after four night shifts..

Having had a slightly stressful week at work, I required something to take my mind off things a little and Justin Newitt has provided. Progress has been swift - as it should be; the methodology Justin uses is familiar to me now that I've built a few of his chassis kits, the instructions are good and the parts fit well. I struggled a little with the fold up brake shoes but this reflects my state of mind, I suspect, and the fact that the outer layers are half-etched and thus vulnerable to fat fingerisms. The end result looks reasonable if not exemplary and you'll note that I've spread solder around liberally, a fact that bothers me not one jot.

Building this in between reading Iain Rice in the latest MRJ (250) got me thinking. Simon de Souza's - perhaps barbed? - mockquote of some hypothetical modern modeller and, I should add, making a joke against himself; "These days I find myself heading into TurboCAD to draw something long before I reach for brass sheet and piercing saw..." struck something of a chord with me. This chassis is lovely, only partly because of the CAD processes behind it, good, thoughtful design makes the difference. It's a lot of fun - for me, anyhow - but I could never reasonably populate a layout (What layout?! I hear you cry!) this way. That fact really doesn't matter.

post-256-0-28264000-1476612876_thumb.gif

By the by, some detail shots of an anchor-mounted tank (a good match for the Bachmann one, I reckon) taken at Ropley the other weekend:

post-256-0-69898000-1476613447.gif

post-256-0-92267600-1476613370.gif

post-256-0-81950100-1476613430.gif

Adam

• Like 7

The 21T mineral underframe looks like it's coming along nicely Adam. I don't think it's just your state of mind, the push rod brakes are a little tricky and I've been working on an improved version which will be included with all future push rod brake underframes. It is the half etched area that makes them tricky but I'm mindful of what they actually look like and although I could included a full thickness area along the edge of the brake shoe this just wouldn't look right to me.

Porcy, I've just had back a set of test etches for a Bachmann 14T anchor mounted tank detailing etch which includes a couple of types of ladders. These will probably be out in the spring time.

Justin

• Like 2

The 21T mineral underframe looks like it's coming along nicely Adam. I don't think it's just your state of mind, the push rod brakes are a little tricky and I've been working on an improved version which will be included with all future push rod brake underframes. It is the half etched area that makes them tricky but I'm mindful of what they actually look like and although I could included a full thickness area along the edge of the brake shoe this just wouldn't look right to me.

Porcy, I've just had back a set of test etches for a Bachmann 14T anchor mounted tank detailing etch which includes a couple of types of ladders. These will probably be out in the spring time.

Justin

Thanks Justin - you don't know how much straightening out and self-inflicted fettling has gone on! The appearance of the brakeshoes is very good (it'd be better if I had been calmer) and the next set will be tidier. Good news about the detailing etches; my tank will go into hibernation...

Meanwhile, most of the remaining bits have gone on - Justin, I'll be in touch for some castings for it shortly. I might even spring this one!

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1