Matchbox shunter - any prototype?

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully dropped into correct forum area - please move if not.

I am thinking of using the engine hood part of the body of one of these to make a freelance miniature railway style diesel shunter for an O9 layout. I do have a query though, however stretched and manipulated the Matchbox model body is, was it based even loosely on anything actually made? I ask as my knowledge of non-UK diesel shunter prototypes is limited.

It looks like it will mount fairly easily over the Mintrix BR livery (but no British prototype) N Gauge shunter. New cab needed for certain but the hood doesn't look too bad.

Edit (1) - photo link added retrospectively -

Not got a photo of mine on line but this is a link to one online already http://www.toymart-s...--ab-2354-p.asp

Edit 2 - The N gauge shunter may be a Lima one not Minitrix.

• RMweb Gold

Paul

I wondered if it was just based on the dock shunter model too.

unnamed person, pseudonym = industrial

A google search for matchbox shunter brings up many, many links and photos. Not got a photo of mine on line but this is a link to one online already

http://www.toymart-store.co.uk/matchbox-1-75-24e-diesel-shunter---ab-2354-p.asp

The Tri-ang dock shunter was loosely based on a Bagnall, but while the Matchbox does bear some visual relationship to the Tri-ang model there are sugnificant differences, such as the angled front to the cab (found on some Rustons, but otherwise not very Ruston!), that make it quite unlike a Bagnall. I'm pretty sure it's entirely freelance.

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking around today on-line at the photos of 0-4-0 diesel shunters I could find to see if I could spot anything remotely like it, or references connecting the model with a prototype, and failed with anything specific on both counts. Therefore I have now come to the conclusion it probably is a totally freelance item, unlike their GWR style pannier tank from the same range, albeit with some resemblance to real items.

However that said I have also been through my own photo archive and as well as the sloping cab windows on Ruston's mentioned by BernardTPM in the post above Barclay used the raking window style too. The two photos of mine below are of 0-4-0 Barclay's seen at Dunster (West Somerset Rly) back in 2007 and there are some common elements. Although clearly these Barclay designs are not the prototype for the Matchbox model they give some credibility to the sloping window cab style and other design elements. So as it was used by two builders I may retain that raked window feature now in the conversion job.

Also note that although on the real Barclay in the upper picture there is a set of steps below the cab doors (missed off the Matchbox) there is also the off-set rear end set present as per the Matchbox model, so that having a rear end set on the model isn't wrong placement, although at first glance it looks it, it is the other set that Matchbox left off.

That they copied design elements from the Tri-ang dock shunter also has some credibility as the 3rd loco in the range looks very like the Tri-ang Nellie/Polly/Connie model. (Who owned the Matchbox range in that time frame?)

Thanks also chaps for the answers above, forgot to add that earlier.

(Posted edited after original posting - John)

barclay-Dunster-P7120100.jpg

barclay-Dunster-P7120102.jpg

Edited by john new
Photos found and replaced post crash.
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

The above project was not progressed at the time as the layout build it was meant for got put on hold.  This blog post though marrying the Matchbox shunter to a Bachman Underground Ernie maintenance unit chassis looks interesting. For copyright reasons only a link is added.

link = https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/18275-mb-24-no-5-matchbox-Bachmann/

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, doctor quinn said:

The way that only the front cab windows slope rather than front and back along with a front hood but nothing at the back reminds me of a Danish Pedershab tractor. 

RDAF Pedershab Diesel Shunter

Not seen one of those before. Interesting prototype to ponder on.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Radyr PAD.  These were diesel electric locos which could be hauled dead to relaying sites at up to 40mph at weekends.  I remember 651 in this condition, faded green livery with double arrows.  Radyr PAD also had a self propelled 15 ton Booth diesel crane which could also be hauled dead to relaying sites; a very close approximation of this can be had from the Dapol/Kitmaster plastic construction kit mounted on an LNER 8-wheeled tender chassis, which fits as if it was designed for it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That last one sets the thought process churning - chop and stick two of the Matchbox bodies together to fit over one of the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. It would still be freelance but something different. Given the weight of the mazak castings it should have some good haulage weight.

Typical, can't find the picture now, but did once see an image of a Matchbox shunter that had been converted to HOm and was being used to shunt modern Swiss carriages. Very convincing it was too. I've got a few spare metal versions of the Matchbox 'model', if I ever get a suitable 12mm gauge chassis it's one I'd like to try myself.