RMweb

Using Brake Fluid as paint stripper...

:help: Apologies for this - especially as I've used Car Brake Fluid as a paint stripper many years ago, but I'm about to do it again, and can't remember something that must be pretty important... :unsure:

Once it's been used and, hopefully, removed the paint from the plastic model in the intended manner... what's the next step?? :dontknow: :blink:

In other words how do you clean off the brake fluid and neutralise it? Will it just wash off, i.e. water soluable, or do I need to use white spirit etc?

Thanks for helping burnish my memory!! :rolleyes:

Wash off with thinners, white spirit, or hot water and detergent, and finish with a strong solvent to remove any trace of the oil, but only if metal based, if plastic, then washing with detergent should do it,

Stephen.

I've used brake fluid "baths" in the past for stripping paint. Some older DOT types of fluid can react BADLY with some plastics - a Replica Railways coach comes to mind - it turned into almost molten plastic leaving perfect finger print impressions on the sides :angry: Modern fluids tend to be synthetic based so test a small area first. A safer option would be to use Precision Paints "Super Strip"

HTH

tractor_37260

A safer option would be to use Precision Paints "Super Strip"

... I just ran out of that stuff... :blush: :rolleyes: and yes I had re-used it; so much that I think it was beginning to put paint back on!!! :rolleyes: ...hence the turn to a bottle of brake fluid. It says it's synthetic on the bottle; so yes I was going to test it first. I just couldn't remember what was best to do afterwards!!

Thanks chaps all of you for your help! :good_mini: :drink_mini:

Only DOT3 or DOT4 will work - 5.1 is Silicone based and designed not to affect paintwork.

HTH

DOT 5 is silicone based. DOT 5.1 is a thinner version of DOT 4 for use in some ABS systems.

• 2 years later...

Lads, be aware that this stuff is VERY damaging to human eyes. A mate just got a small amount in his left eye by rubbing it in accidentally.

he has had to go to hospital, and it has, apparently, burnt off his conjunctiva, the thin skin that protects the cornea. :O

He now has to have twice daily applications of ointment until the conjunctiva regrows. Not good.

Take care with all chemicals.

• RMweb Premium

Lads, be aware that this stuff is VERY damaging to human eyes. A mate just got a small amount in his left eye by rubbing it in accidentally.

he has had to go to hospital, and it has, apparently, burnt off his conjunctiva, the thin skin that protects the cornea. :O

He now has to have twice daily applications of ointment until the conjunctiva regrows. Not good.

Take care with all chemicals.

You should never use brake fluid for stripping paint. Either use proper paint stripper or less corrosive chemicals.

You should never use brake fluid for stripping paint. Either use proper paint stripper or less corrosive chemicals.

Whilst I agree that brake fluid, like all chemicals as noted by JeffP, needs to be treated with the respect due to harmful liquids, I don't honestly see why using it to strip paint should be any more hazardous than, say, servicing or rebuilding a vehicle braking system.  Something which thousands of amateurs achieve without problem.

Safe disposal can, I admit, be a problem whether drained from the paintstripping bath or flushed from the hydraulic system it was intended for.

I totally disagree; if the stuff was that dangerous you wouldn't be allowed to use it for anything at all.  As always, and as JeffP and PatB have noted, treat it with caution and respect.

I have used brake fluid as a paint stripper many times without any trouble at all.  I'm still wondering how to get rid of the stuff once I need to though, with most modern cars needing you to have an automotive degree just to remove the sump plug the days of having a waste oil container at your local service station seem to be over...

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I have used brake fluid for paint stripping, usually successfully. One failure was a dmu shell which went brittle/disintegrated.

One of the dangers which is not often mentioned is that is flammable. It was supposed to be a problem in making small engine bay fires worse as plastic brake lines melted.

As for disposal, I took a bottle of used brake fluid to my local waste recycling centre, and was told to put it in the household waste skip, which means it would go to the incinerator.

Dave

i have used dot 3 and 4 to remove paint . it is very flammable more so then petrol. when i worked in a garage a few time's car's that had been in a big shunt went up in flames as the brake fluid leaked on the hot exhaust . i get rid of my used fluid with my old engine oil at the tip. best thing to do if useing brake fluid is to use it outside.

I don't know the situation in NZ but here in Oz my local tip has a barrel for waste oil disposal but putting brake fluid in is strictly forbidden as, apparently, it makes the oil unrecyclable.  These days my brake fluid disposal needs are limited and I heat with wood so I take advantage of the low ignition temperature noted by crompton 33 and light fires with it.

I have used brake fluid for paint stripping, usually successfully. One failure was a dmu shell which went brittle/disintegrated.

One of the dangers which is not often mentioned is that is flammable. It was supposed to be a problem in making small engine bay fires worse as plastic brake lines melted.

Dave

A question... does anyone have any comments to offer on using brake fluid with Heljan bodies ?  I have a vague recollection of someone, somewhere, somewhen perhaps saying something about Heljan plastic not coping with brake fluid as well as other manufacturers ?

Anyone able to make a positive comment on Heljan & BF based on their experience ?

cheers

Brake fluid needs to be treated with care, but it's not as bad as caustic* soda, which is the other recommended paint stripper for plastic. Brake fluid is water soluble. Water used to be suggested as an emergency substitute in brakes.....

My only adverse reaction has been an acetate Tri-ang van**, which part dissolved. I did forget it for quite some time though

*As might be gathered from the name, it can cause nasty chemical burns.

**pre-warped so no great loss!

Edited by Il Grifone

ive always used brake fluid, but didnt have any recently when I wanted to strip a brass loco body and id read that dettol can be used and as I had some I thought id give it a try, left it for a few days in an old pickle onion jar and it the paint came off easy although it never had primer on it.

cleaned it off with warm soapy water, although it still does have a little bit of a wiff of it and dont know if its dodgy to solder it, I did solder a few little bits back on and could smell it. but no bad effects that I know of.

• RMweb Premium

ive always used brake fluid, but didnt have any recently when I wanted to strip a brass loco body and id read that dettol can be used and as I had some I thought id give it a try, left it for a few days in an old pickle onion jar and it the paint came off easy although it never had primer on it.

cleaned it off with warm soapy water, although it still does have a little bit of a wiff of it and dont know if its dodgy to solder it, I did solder a few little bits back on and could smell it. but no bad effects that I know of.

You can use Mr. Muscle drain cleaner as well. Did you try rinsing it under a running cold tap?