Old Elm Park

Stuart A

• RMweb Gold

Well, it is about 15 years since I've done any layout modelling, but the challenge has got me thinking and I'm up for the challenge. The decorating will have to wait!!

I started to have a think what sort of scene would fit in N gauge (that's what I'm used to), and one place came to mind. I've done some calculations, and I think it will just about fit, with a bit of compromise on the width, so it won't be an accurate representation, but using the prototype as inspiration.

No points involved, which is a bonus. I'm intending to make it operational, by hinging a second board of the sale dimensions to the diorama board, which will stow underneath for judging purposes, but flip up use as a micro layout.

For the challenge, I might not get everything operational, but with a view of developing it further (operating lights etc)

Planning to used Scalescenes downloads for the majority of surfaces and backscenes, which is something I've not done before (always been a plastic kit and paint man in the past)

I really want to use code 40 easitrac, but struggling to justify £20 subscription to the 2mm association for a small amount of track (I know there are other benefits, but I am a member of the N Gauge Soc, and I don't intend building my own points- ever!)

Can you guess where it's going to be based on then?

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've got the wood, purchased the main feature, and it just about fits!

I've also downloaded the scalescenes elements that I need.

The plan is that the top left track is the line in, with the middle 2 on the left leading to the shed, which will be in low relief on the left. The back scene will be the side elevation of a depot building.

The front and right will be open.

I'm going to build a second board to attach on the left to allow it to be an operational micro layout, and am planning to motorise the turntable.

post-6799-0-55912100-1305836248_thumb.jpg

You could try asking on here or on the N gauge yahoo group if anyone is a member of the 2mm assoc. If you really just want a few lengths of track, you might be able to find someone willing to order it on your behalf.

• RMweb Gold

I did think that, however I've decided I'm going to sign up- there are plenty other detailing bits that are available that I'm sure will be of use in the future.

Don't like to get the benefit of more accurate track, without paying for the privilege, if you know what I mean?

• RMweb Gold

Managed to put together 2 boards today. I was considering hinging the left hand board to the diorama board, but I think I'm going to make that a scenic board too, using a scenecraft modern depot and perhaps fuelling point, but this isn't the main competition board.

post-6799-0-80868100-1306015052_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stuey

Nice project!

Not sure if you're still after Easi-trac but I know the N Gauge Society sells trial packs of Easi-trac containing sleeper sprues and rail for £1.05.

Having said that, as you say the 2mmA offer a lot more than just Easi-trac so probably will be worth joining anyway!

cheers

Ben A.

Archived