MRJ 207

A really excellent issue, I must say, with some quite glorious photos and very inspiring models featured.

But some plans would have been nice...

I did ask Paul Bambrick if he could provide a track plan of Whitchurch Road, but time constraints and space prevailed, and to be fair not all the track has even been laid at the other end of the layout yet! Hopefully Whitchurch Road will feature again in the future MRJ article.

There was quite a bit including more photos of Whitchurch Road that had to be left out of this issue, plus other articles also have had to be carried over to future issues too, again due to space, although hopefully what was included has the right balance.

Thanks for the complements, when working with something closely for a while I tend to loose focus of the general picture.

David

I did ask Paul Bambrick if he could provide a track plan of Whitchurch Road, but time constraints and space prevailed, and to be fair not all the track has even been laid at the other end of the layout yet! Hopefully Whitchurch Road will feature again in the future MRJ article.

There was quite a bit including more photos of Whitchurch Road that had to be left out of this issue, plus other articles also have had to be carried over to future issues too, again due to space, although hopefully what was included has the right balance.

Thanks for the complements, when working with something closely for a while I tend to loose focus of the general picture.

David

Many thanks for the feedback, David - much appreciated. And for whetting our appetites with the prospect of more to come! :D

I think Whitchurch Road is an absolutely magnificent model, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

I'm a bit puzzled by the upper picture on p134 though. I find it hard to believe a train composed like that would be allowed out on the Met & GC main line. I suppose it could be a shunting move, but it's not captioned as such, but as a 'mixed train'.

On another note, it's great to hear of Ambis Engineering in the Small Suppliers Forum - I've been missing their excellent products.

I think Whitchurch Road is an absolutely magnificent model, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

I'm a bit puzzled by the upper picture on p134 though. I find it hard to believe a train composed like that would be allowed out on the Met & GC main line. I suppose it could be a shunting move, but it's not captioned as such, but as a 'mixed train'.

On another note, it's great to hear of Ambis Engineering in the Small Suppliers Forum - I've been missing their excellent products.

Thats a Barry Norman photo, of the Brill train not too sure myself if its correct and ran on the branch like that, or maybe it's just going back empty for service to Neasden.

Anyway here are a couple of photos of the signal box and bridge at the other end of the layout, the trackwork has not been laid as yet but as it states in the text all buildings and scenery were done first and the track laid later.

Paul Bambrick will be doing a demo at Railex this weekend and will bring the station board along too, so you can see part of the layout in the flesh

David

post-186-0-95196100-1306412693_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89239300-1306412757_thumb.jpg

Having had a moan about the quality of the photographs in recent issues I must say that this issue is a vast improvement. I particularly like the use of the period photos to illustrate Whitchurch Road. I cycled from waddesdon to Buckingham via Hogshaw yesterday and was watching out for the odd glimpse of any remains of the route. Spot the mistake. Page 8 in one of the captions should be page 128.

Bernard

Having had a moan about the quality of the photographs in recent issues I must say that this issue is a vast improvement. I particularly like the use of the period photos to illustrate Whitchurch Road. I cycled from waddesdon to Buckingham via Hogshaw yesterday and was watching out for the odd glimpse of any remains of the route. Spot the mistake. Page 8 in one of the captions should be page 128.

Bernard

I must admit I spotted this mistake too when printed but it was not on proofs.

The sepia and rounded corners to the photos did give a period feel to the article and a first in MRJ I think, hence my comment about a high backed chair and smoking jacket!

The Met line to Verney Junction closed to passengers in 1936 and seems a much less known line than the very minor Brill branch; although Whitchurch Road did not exist I think that both the photos and model give a feel of an actual location.

David

Thats a Barry Norman photo, of the Brill train not too sure myself if its correct and ran on the branch like that, or maybe it's just going back empty for service to Neasden.

The make-up of the train for the Brill branch is correct. I did an article in the S Scale Gazette a couple of years ago on a trip on the branch by the late Alan Cruickshank just before it closed and one of the main topics of his account was being on a mixed train. Apparently it could be a bit of a rougn ride with the wagons between the coach and the loco.

Jim.

Yesterday mid-morning, Smiths did not have 207 at Paddington Station, got back to Penzance and in my local newsagents, yup, 10 (maybe a dozen) copies on the shelf.... And I believe Smiths are the local distributors.

Now for the coffee break and looky.

......Anyway here are a couple of photos of the signal box and bridge at the other end of the layout, .......

But no mention of the harness on the horse etc.,?

Bridge, what bridge? oh that bit of smooth card/plastic to the RH background you mean.huh.gif

I was a bit confused about whether the "Up" line was London-bound, or whether it was the "Down" line. Only reason for asking is that some of the captions refer to trains heading on the "Up" line towards Harrow / Amersham (i.e. London-bound), whilst another refers to a gentleman sitting on a bench waiting for a "Down" train to London..... :blink:

.....The Met line to Verney Junction closed to passengers in 1936 and seems a much less known line than the very minor Brill branch; although Whitchurch Road did not exist I think that both the photos and model give a feel of an actual location.

Still possible to see the formation thanks to GoogleMaps (satellite view), and Verney Junction itself is still discernible....

This bridge?

Oh, yes, see it now....

I should have put TIC at the beginning of my comments, my apologies.

The Horse and Cart are still worthy of comment though, I know it's 7mm (detail), but these aspects are seemingly glossed over so often.

And the side sweeps over the wheels make it look as if it's a Glamorgan Waggon (sic) too, a little way from home!

Not the easiest of wagons to model, http://scalemodelhor...ggons).htm#List

I'm intrigued by the length of the lower cross pieces on some of the telegraph poles in 207, I'm sure they are correct though.

• RMweb Gold

But no mention of the harness on the horse etc.,?

Good harnessing job by the look of it. It's an awful long time since I rode on top of a horsedrawn 4 wheel cart loaded with sheaves of wheat but I can't recall the harness being much different (if any) from that for horse pulling in shafts (and that was in any case Berkshire Harness but pulling a flatbed). The collar definitely looks right as is the saddle arrangement for a horse in shafts pulling a heavy wagon but I'm not entirely sure about the rest of the harness detail. The wagon looks like an Oxfordshire Waggon and judging by an illustration I've found on the 'net the harness is correct for one of those but I don't know what sort of wagons would have been used in the area where the layout is set - the differences could be quite noticeable over a relatively short distance hence an old Berkshire Waggon my grandfather had differed in a number of ways from the Oxfordshire style despite having been built barely 20 miles from Oxford.

Remember an early MRJ that dealt with Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire farm carts. Or has this one another origin?

The article is by Chris Pilton in Issue 16 - 1987.

Will have to wait until I get home to look up the article, currently stuck in the Longships Bar with twa dogs at Lands End.....

EDIT - Well home now, yes this could be a Oxford/Berkshire wagon.

There has been over time various comments re. the balance of material in MRJ, issue 16 has the following approx.

7 pages - Darenth, EM Layout

2 pages - Living with the 1219 (Motor)

1.3 pages Matters Arising

7 pages - The Oxford Wagon (Horse drawn farm waggon)

13 pages of Period Waterways (Canal Boats etc.,)

+ the usual Editorial, Portfolio, Small Suppliers and Letters pages.

Many thanks to Coombe Barton for reminding me of this excellent artical on the waggons.

Just received my copy here in Spain - not bad delivery time 10 days after publication, other magazines can take up to 3 weeks

I must give grateful thanks to David for including some of my model photographs in this issue - completely unexpected for such an inexperienced modeller very late to the scene

Ron

Archived