Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

I've just received a picture of Holbeck's D26 as prepared by Ian of Mercig studios. Ready to haul the Up Waverley just as soon as the Farish Full Brakes and Sleepers are released. :)

Lovely stuff Dave, do you have any idea how Mr Mercig carries out the front end modificaiton. Was it a 44 with filled in nose doors as I'm contemplating or was it a split centre box model to start?

Its certainly lovely and if I can get something like that I'll be absolutely delighted.

nice brake van positioning as well, :locomotive:

I did comment about that when I saw the layout "in the flesh".

When you so often see exhibition layouts running the wrong stock (just browse the current crop of mags to see some x rated examples) it's a treat to see how Roy has captured the authentic mix of Waverley freight traffic.

Bernard

Two more pacifics for Ruberslaw; Haymarket's 60011 and Tweedmouth's 60539. Admittedly, this wouldn't have been a regular on the route, but working into Edinburgh on a regular basis, it's quite possible that Bronzino would have been borrowed on occasion, particularly as she was mostly as stand-by power during her time at 52D.

Coming soon; 60161, 61931 and 61937!

Dave.

60539 was quite a regular in 1960/61.

roygraham

Lovely stuff Dave, do you have any idea how Mr Mercig carries out the front end modificaiton. Was it a 44 with filled in nose doors as I'm contemplating or was it a split centre box model to start?

Its certainly lovely and if I can get something like that I'll be absolutely delighted.

It was a Class 45 - D55 Royal Signals with split centre box. I have no idea how he performs his magic.

Here are three shots of D26, well out of it's normal territory taken at Basingstoke at todays Farnham and District MRC open day.

D26 At Basingstoke   1

D26 At Basingstoke   2

D26 At Basingstoke  3

Thanks Dave

Will be attempting some sort of conversion in due course, Etched Pixel definitely produce fold up etches for split boxes. I've ordered a set so we'll see what they look like when they come.

Any reason the buffer beam is black, I thought they would have been red. Of course it could just be filthy dirty!!

Nice model though, Mercig certainly are quality work.

Here is the latest arrival, as sort of first too - Thanks to this sub-forum specifically - it's my first WR Steamer.

I wanted an LNER pacific so went hunting on ebay. Rails of Sheffield we're obviously flogging someone's old collection and a model of Humorist with it's one off deflectors was brought for £55 with a DCC chip in to boot. The photos showed up some issues, and as can be seen in the below (all I've done is taken the deflectors off and taken her numbers off) she's had better days.

The body has also been treated to a brown brush over, all of which is to be covered by a liberal application of airbrush weathering.

I plan on making her 'Salmon Trout':

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=22763

I would like to bow to your better knowledge in these kettle matters and I wondered if anyone had tried this kit:

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/a3_details.htm (which I've brought)

And whats the best company for Nameplates/transfers? I see that Modelmasters do locomotive changing kits with everything in a single bag for your chosen loco - anyone got any experience with these?

Anything else she needs to be ON IT chaps?

post-10729-0-60720400-1320061209_thumb.jpg

post-10729-0-79262100-1320061276_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Brassmaster's bits are very good.

Best plates are Fox. They give you the choice of curly or straight 6 if you have a loco that used both versions. Not got a book to hand to check in this particular case.

The font and spacing are correct for each name and not just generic.

I prefer HMRS transfers as there is not the problem that you can get with Modelmaster in trying to remove the outline of the backing paper.

Bernard

Brassmaster's bits are very good.

Best plates are Fox. They give you the choice of curly or straight 6 if you have a loco that used both versions. Not got a book to hand to check in this particular case.

The font and spacing are correct for each name and not just generic.

I prefer HMRS transfers as there is not the problem that you can get with Modelmaster in trying to remove the outline of the backing paper.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard! The Brassmaster bits literally dropped on my door mat the second I posted that. They look very good, the instruction 'booklet' has however put the fear of god into me.

post-10729-0-96594300-1320063049_thumb.jpg

the instruction 'booklet' has however put the fear of god into me.

Just do the easy bits and ignore the rest.

If you want real fun try an Ivatt pony tuck. :jester:

I cheated and cut it in half to make a simplified cosmetic version. I think it was in Model Rail that I got that tip.

Bernard

• Like 1

I have some Brassmasters etches for the A3 and A4 too.

The instructions in the A3 ones I recieved had the wrong diagram numbers and some of the instructions are "confusing" to use a polite description.

I have since recieved a new copy of diagram/instructions which still isnt 100% but better via a prompt email from Brassmasters.

247 Developments nameplates and HMRS are my preference. Fox are OTT on price and Modelmaster are poor compared to HMRS.

Have you renumbered either of both of the A1s?

nice brake van positioning as well, :locomotive:

To be honest no. I usually have no fear of renumbering but the finish of the A1's is just so good I do not want to risk spoiling it. I think I am correct in saying that 60147 "North Eastern" was a Haymarket loco at least at some point, and assuming this is correct I can justify running it under "Rule 1" and assume it was "borrowed" for a run to Carlisle and back. Not so sure about "Great Central" though...

If I do pluck up the courage to renumber one, the choice for me would be 60159 "Bonnie Dundee".

Cheers

Roy

• RMweb Premium

To be honest no. I usually have no fear of renumbering but the finish of the A1's is just so good I do not want to risk spoiling it. I think I am correct in saying that 60147 "North Eastern" was a Haymarket loco at least at some point, and assuming this is correct I can justify running it under "Rule 1" and assume it was "borrowed" for a run to Carlisle and back. Not so sure about "Great Central" though...

If I do pluck up the courage to renumber one, the choice for me would be 60159 "Bonnie Dundee".

Cheers

Roy

Unfortunately North Eastern was never shedded at Haymarket who only ever had their 5 favourites from that class. However don't let that stop you as friends in Hawick confirm that it was seen on The Waverley Route on occasions being a member of the "borrowed" fraternity.

I did comment about that when I saw the layout "in the flesh".

When you so often see exhibition layouts running the wrong stock (just browse the current crop of mags to see some x rated examples) it's a treat to see how Roy has captured the authentic mix of Waverley freight traffic.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

Thank you, I have tried as far as possible, helped by Farish's excellent range of recent wagons to capture at least the look of the typical Waverley Route freights, for me, they are one of the many things that first attracted me to the Waverley Route, coupled to the fact that a fair proportion of it was in the charge of B1's V2's and Gresley and Peppercorn Pacifics, well into the 1960's.

I have seen a pic on this site of a number of "Flats" carrying Ford Anglias marshalled amongst other wagons in a fitted freight (As opposed to a "block" train of them) so one of my next projects will be to make two, maybe three "Flats" from Farish Mk1 chassis, and order a job lot of Oxford Diecast's Anglias from Hattons to put on them:-)

Regards

Roy

Unfortunately North Eastern was never shedded at Haymarket who only ever had their 5 favourites from that class. However don't let that stop you as friends in Hawick confirm that it was seen on The Waverley Route on occasions being a member of the "borrowed" fraternity.

Hi 60027 Merlin

Thank you, I stand corrected, I'm not sure where I read that it was, but never mind. Much better news that North Eastern was often "borrowed" I don't even have to apply "Rule 1" to justify running it!

Cheers

Roy

Guest Max Stafford

60152/59/60/61/62 are generally recognised as the 'Haymarket Five' and were regular visitors to the route. 60152 was the only loco of this small group with the flush-riveted cab and tender. It wasn't unusual to find other depots' A1s on the route, especially when Holbeck started getting A1s in the early '60s.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

This is a really interesting topic especially to me, and it seems to have hit the buffers, pardon the pun.

So here’s a photo of one of my favourite locos to kick start it again hopefully.

I know someone has already put a photo of A3 60097 Humorist on the web recently but I still could not resist putting it on again, with other loco's to follow soon.

Regards

David

Railway and Landscape Photographer

http://www.landscapesandsteam.co.uk

post-6557-0-62275900-1321177360_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Fantastic looking Model Micklner and exellent finish as well, did she or any of the other A2/2's ever run over the Waverley line.

I have seen photos of the A2/3's at Hawick Station but not the A2/2's.

I am waiting for the day when either Hornby or Bachmann bring out a RTR A2/2 or A2/3.

Regards

David

Sorry I have no idea !! they were used from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and South of Edinburgh as well .

You may have luck with the A2/3 as this is a converted Bachmann A2 and woud be much easier to make as the major difference is the front end . Cant see a A2/2 being done far too many variations of cab and tenders.

Fantastic looking Model Micklner and exellent finish as well, did she or any of the other A2/2's ever run over the Waverley line.

Assuming I know my A2/2 from the rest of the breed, then 60501-3/5/6 all worked the route. Thus the only one NOT to work through Teri, Mon sMeg, was also the only one whose name didn't see later use on a Class 87!

• Like 1

At last a Dapol Class 26 D5301 in GSYE has arrived. I've been eagerly awaiting these since Dapol's announcement last year, and drooling as each sucessive livery has been delivered. Given the quality I forsee a number of these being rostered for Cruikglen.

Dapol Class 26 D5301 in GSYE

Dapol Class 26 D5301 in GSYE - Cab detail

Dapol Class 26 D5301 in GSYE - Broadside

Along with Farishes Class 24 this is the best quality I've seen in 'N'.

Cheers

Dave