moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should mnetion the old WS type of foam....I've often thought that used sparingly in 2mm / N scale it really does look like the sort of underbush one finds on the lineside in well moistened Cornish valleys......

If can work even better if you add a little scatter as it helps break up the constant colour. Glueing small bits of different shades together also can give this effect if done carefully.

• RMweb Gold

Grass looks really good.

I'm going to echo what Tom said in that the grass looks great.

Funny you should mnetion the old WS type of foam....I've often thought that used sparingly in 2mm / N scale it really does look like the sort of underbush one finds on the lineside in well moistened Cornish valleys......Trust me on this, I am that man that has waded through the stuff on a damp morning thinking that exact thought! :O

If can work even better if you add a little scatter as it helps break up the constant colour. Glueing small bits of different shades together also can give this effect if done carefully.

Many thanks for all the comments on the grass/scrub...will plant the trees today then see what the overall tone/balance looks like...

• RMweb Gold

I don't really need to say this, but it just gets better and better.

And it is still only 2mm...

Many thanks Stu...

A little toning Pete, yes... but not too much. A this distance it looks good, but a little colour variation might suggest different ground growing conditions and soften the feel... but go only lightly I'd say. Looking really good... I suspect you'e quite proud... you should be!

Many thanks also Jon - I will have to try and figure out how to tone manually as today is not the day to unpack my new airbrush and learn how to use it...Sunday maybe, but not today :O

This has come on a treat and looks very good, I really like the long grass and the way it all blends together. The track work also looks very nice.

Many thanks also Mark...perhaps we can convince you to go 2mmFS...afterall you have already built some 2mm Flask wagons, right?

Pete - Your lovely viaduct needs an appropriate lovely new loco to sit on it:

Many thanks Jon...That new 50 is indeed Lovely...although my Lovely wife won't like the 500 quid price tag... :nono:

Thank you all for the comments...48 hours to boot...

• RMweb Gold

Update - Planting trees is underway...

A quick pic of 'work in progress'...I am trying to capture the train through the trees sort of feel...

post-3290-0-64567600-1317292217.jpg

I have some more trees to line behind the columns as this is where it is more dense...oh and that loco needs weathering too...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

Glad to see you're focused again after playing with expensive toys! ;-)

The image of the FL 66 brings back some memories from the photos I took last year, although there were a few more trees! :-)

Nice shot you've taken as well and the overall effect you've created is capturing the prototype location just right. Nice work keep going! ;-)

By the way-I've a Dapol 153 in London Midland livery that represents a FGW hire in unit if you'd care to borrow it to pose on the viaduct itself? Got to have a 153 in there somewhere!!!!!!!!! :-@

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I've been watching the updates Pete - that shot with the 66, just ooooooooh!

Thanks Jo...have another look in 10 minutes then...I believe the cement is running today...

Glad to see you're focused again after playing with expensive toys! ;-)

The image of the FL 66 brings back some memories from the photos I took last year, although there were a few more trees! :-)

Nice shot you've taken as well and the overall effect you've created is capturing the prototype location just right. Nice work keep going! ;-)

By the way-I've a Dapol 153 in London Midland livery that represents a FGW hire in unit if you'd care to borrow it to pose on the viaduct itself? Got to have a 153 in there somewhere!!!!!!!!! :-@

Mark, Hi

Many thanks and also for the offer of the 153...might just take you up on that...its one of the few complete things that will fit on the viaduct :laugh:

Lovely Pete! Particularly the latest grass :)

Many thanks Tom...

• RMweb Gold

Update - Green fingers day today...

I have now planted my 4D model shops trees. The largest one is on the near side with the bulk of them on the other side of the track, which is how it is on the prototype albeit a lot more overgrown these days.

The backscene was always something that was I was worried about. A few experiments this week using photographic landscapes slotted in didn't quite cut the mustard. What I wanted to do was just make it a little more dense behind the trees.

So the backscene had a rough pencil line drawn of an irregular treescape and was brushed with PVA as this...

post-3290-0-21371500-1317315329.jpg

Two bags of scatter at the ready...another stash from 20 years ago...

And the scatter was mixed and sprinkled and shaken off. This was repeated a second time but once in place it lacked a little relief so the second phase consisted of adding a litttle old foam just at the top as this...

post-3290-0-46170300-1317316004.jpg

I think it is Woodland scenics in origin...

Once dried this was then placed in the layout. I have also started to add on a little greenery to the Brunel pier...mostly the top, as depicted in the photos I have and then the start of some on the small ledges. I will finish this tomorrow although I don't want to overcook it and swamp it with vegetation.

I also started to work some white, black and brown weathering powders into the viaduct using dry brush technique.

A couple more pics of progress with the 66 on cement...

post-3290-0-44388700-1317316036_thumb.jpg

View looking downwards to new trees and greenery to Brunel pìer...

post-3290-0-98860500-1317316090.jpg

Running through the grass I managed to catch the cement train returning from Moorswater...

Still, a fair amount to do tomorrow...

Ere Pete, there's a chance the etched bits could turn up just before I leave for work...

...a cheap flight and a sicky from work could give the ultimate deadline-beating man of steel move! ;)

Pix

(Edit - £237 return, ouch! Looks like it's back to month end, they'll be in the post as soon as they arrive!)

• RMweb Gold

Ere Pete, there's a chance the etched bits could turn up just before I leave for work...

...a cheap flight and a sicky from work could give the ultimate deadline-beating man of steel move! ;)

Pix

(Edit - £237 return, ouch! Looks like it's back to month end, they'll be in the post as soon as they arrive!)

Nice idea Pix - slurping a few cold beers that I owe you in the sun here...no, wait, I still have plenty to do tomorrow - save those 237 notes for another trip :sungum:

Pete.., this is really looking like some serious stuff there... I think you ought to back off a bit and let the other 2011 contestants stand a chance :blum: . Oh and as Nick said... I had 26DegsC on the car gauge driving back along the leafy Balcombe road today ... cor what a scortcher... still it'll be even warmer tomorrow. Another two of three days of this and the climate change lot will be out again. Where's that cool beer!

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Pete,

I'm almost there! A 'Shed' in the tree's has to be seen! :D

As for the loan of the LM Class 153-Any time is 153 time! :crazy:

Except on the Looe Valley Line when in Boris' words 'The 153 Karma Sutra takes place on a hot spring day!!!! :jester:

The chequered flag is about to be waved! (Sounds like something from 'Smiley's People'-not I hasten to add 'Pan's People'!)

Showing my age now!

Cheers,

Mark

Many thanks also Mark...perhaps we can convince you to go 2mmFS...afterall you have already built some 2mm Flask wagons, right?

Hi Pete,

You are right I do have a pair of flasks and a fair bit of N guage stock but no layout! It is very tempting having seen your work on here and also some of the projects of my fellow DEMU members at shows including Martins nuclear facility and Rays etched kit built clayton. I am very impressed in what can be achieved now especially the 2FS trackwork which just looks so right. Maybe one day I might build something small but I have a few other projects to do first.

The trees have really added to the scene and the old viaduct support just looks like it has been there for over 100 years the wya you have blended it in.

Thanks,

Mark

save those 237 notes for another trip :sungum:

Perhaps we need to convince Bryn to move the great 2mm build-off to Spain... y'know, to get an outside perspective of 16ton minerals. ;)

Top work on the scene, really looking sharp!

Pix

• RMweb Gold

ah but it probably better weather here at the moment

I'll give you that Nick...but I won't be drawn into a debate about sun hours per year... 8)

Pete.., this is really looking like some serious stuff there... I think you ought to back off a bit and let the other 2011 contestants stand a chance . Oh and as Nick said... I had 26DegsC on the car gauge driving back along the leafy Balcombe road today ... cor what a scortcher... still it'll be even warmer tomorrow. Another two of three days of this and the climate change lot will be out again. Where's that cool beer!

Many thanks Jon - I think I counted over 100 entries last month in the challenge thread and I really like the diversity of differing ideas...may the best diorama win.

Those trees just bring it all to life pure Magic Pete.

Thanks also Don...I was sort of avoiding the landscaping bit but I think I am now ready to tackle CJ-M in 2012...100+ trees estimated for that though...

Lovely stuff Pete,

I'm almost there! A 'Shed' in the tree's has to be seen!

As for the loan of the LM Class 153-Any time is 153 time!

Except on the Looe Valley Line when in Boris' words 'The 153 Karma Sutra takes place on a hot spring day!!!!

The chequered flag is about to be waved! (Sounds like something from 'Smiley's People'-not I hasten to add 'Pan's People'!)

Showing my age now!

Talking of which!

And blimey. I was only 6!

Must have left a big impression!

"Now then now then...as it 'appens"....Jim certainly fixed it in those days :laugh: I wondered what happened to PP...

Thanks again for your kind comments Mark...

You are right I do have a pair of flasks and a fair bit of N guage stock but no layout! It is very tempting having seen your work on here and also some of the projects of my fellow DEMU members at shows including Martins nuclear facility and Rays etched kit built clayton. I am very impressed in what can be achieved now especially the 2FS trackwork which just looks so right. Maybe one day I might build something small but I have a few other projects to do first.

The trees have really added to the scene and the old viaduct support just looks like it has been there for over 100 years the way you have blended it in.

Many thanks Mark - No time like the present!...am sure the Force can turn you to the Dark Side... :D

That's a lot of work you've done over the last 24 hours Pete, and it looks very good.

Many thanks Kris...

Perhaps we need to convince Bryn to move the great 2mm build-off to Spain... y'know, to get an outside perspective of 16ton minerals.

Top work on the scene, really looking sharp!

Cheers Steve...Cuando quieres...estoy listo... :smoke:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Nothing like a deadline to get the creative juices flowing and you have followed that old maxim to the letter - 'hurry slowly'

Great work - the cement train through the country is just brilliant - that tree in the foreground gives an impression of real depth - in only 11 inches!

I knew this was a winner from the start - this layout is a prime example of how micros can be as exciting and interesting as full length layouts.

Well done.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Nothing like a deadline to get the creative juices flowing and you have followed that old maxim to the letter - 'hurry slowly'

Great work - the cement train through the country is just brilliant - that tree in the foreground gives an impression of real depth - in only 11 inches!

I knew this was a winner from the start - this layout is a prime example of how micros can be as exciting and interesting as full length layouts.

Many thanks for your kind comments Mike...and your support too...when things were at a bit of a low 3 months ago, it was some of your comments that helped me re engage with the model...so thanks for giving me the kick to carry on with it and try and make it to the finishing line. I wish you luck with your entry too...

• RMweb Gold

The following represents my entry for the 2011 diorama competition - moorswater viaduct in 2mm Finescale - Summary thread will follow when requested by Andy Y.

post-3290-0-86909300-1317404649_thumb.jpg

An overall of the diorama...

...First... the requisite dimensional stuff...

post-3290-0-40502800-1317404731_thumb.jpg

Height...just in 20"...

post-3290-0-95532300-1317404760.jpg

Width...11"...

post-3290-0-47157500-1317404795.jpg

Depth...11"...

The idea was originally conceived based on a couple of aims...firstly to build an extract from my 2mmFS Coombe Junction - Moorswater layout currently in progress to test ideas on scenery and lighting and secondly to allow me to spend the summer modelling rather than my usual sitting and pondering...

The diorama typically represents an extract as depicted in red on my previous 1:10 scale model...

post-3290-0-99660800-1317405227_thumb.jpg

The height of the lighting boom floats over to light the 150ft high viaduct...

I have always loved the scale difference between the upper mainline express line against the lower freight only line. This was something I wanted to try and capture in my model as this...

post-3290-0-12063200-1317405397_thumb.jpg

HST passes over as 37142 heads back from moorswater...

My layout is set in early 1980 when clay hoods were still in use...

post-3290-0-74021800-1317405486.jpg

I have had to resurrect my twenty year old N gauge clay hoods for this shot as I haven't built the new rakes yet!...

post-3290-0-50068900-1317405737.jpg

37135 returns from moorswater with loaded clay hoods...

The other thing that became apparent whilst making this diorama was that I could turn the clock forward in era...

post-3290-0-93518000-1317405818.jpg

37135 on CDA's...

post-3290-0-61599800-1317405852.jpg

And seen again through the arches...

And turn it even further forward to represent current day...

post-3290-0-28592900-1317405901.jpg

66952 on cement from Moorswater...I need to add the fuel tanks back on and rephotograph it!...

As well as turning the clock back too... :O

post-3290-0-31168200-1317406042.jpg

Prairie 6116 heads towards Liskeard on clay...

And in Black and white...

post-3290-0-31266600-1317406114.jpg

...with a short mixed freight...

And finally...In case you have been following the build thread and wondering why there was a split line across the lower front fascia below...

post-3290-0-43047100-1317406291_thumb.jpg

Shadow gap detail to base...

....it is the concealed integrated rolling stock tray which slots in and out... :D

post-3290-0-08055100-1317406304_thumb.jpg

The concealed lighting at the top of the diorama also means that I can use it as a bedside light too...

post-3290-0-97688800-1317406322_thumb.jpg

37142 assists failed HST whilst 37135 passes beneath the viaduct...

I should like to thank everyone for their comments, help and support throughout the duration of this entry which I have enjoyed immensely to build.

Pete

post-3290-0-91702100-1317405292_thumb.jpg

Archived