moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Update - Finally started to tackle the painting...

I began by applying a brownish colour to everything, which was to act as a base but also to cover the grey primer. Afterwards it didn't look toooo bad, so I then dry brushed on a mix of black and white paint to begin with. This has started to bring the colour around but I hope to now work on this with weathering powders to enhance it. To finish the base colours I have now picked out all the detailing stones on the viaduct which includes the projections, copings etc...I think this will also need some black weathering powder and some yellow staining as my per my photos.

I attach one 'work in progress' photo...sorry that its a bit dark - was taken first thing this morning and its overcast here (contrary to belief it does rain in Spain) but I am now dashing to the airport for 72 in the UK...strange time to abandon the diorama with much still to do, and the weekend has nothing to do with scaleforum or trains...but it does involve an Aston Martin DBS...more on that when I return...

post-3290-0-39828500-1316847569_thumb.jpg

Old Farish 50 repainted in BR Blue (twenty years ago) returns light (lite?) engine...

Hopefully...its starting to look more like Moorswater viaduct now...

• RMweb Premium

I attach one 'work in progress' photo...sorry that its a bit dark - was taken first thing this morning and its overcast here (contrary to belief it does rain in Spain)

Surely it mainly does this on the plains :)

It does.

...sorry that its a bit dark - was taken first thing this morning and its overcast here (contrary to belief it does rain in Spain)

That must have been the same short shower we had at 1.00am this morning

(and it does rain in Spain - 2 or 3 times a year, even in the mountains)

Definitely looking good - Hope your 72 hours away - gives you the final boost fo cross the finishing line in style

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Morning Pete,

That's looking good. Bet your well chuffed now your on the painting stage? This should start to signal reaching the finishing line at last! ;-). Think you should have put the Class 26 on the viaduct as a distraction though! ;-)

Cement didn't run yesterday so sadly no photos! :-(.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Well, thankfully, the sun has started to shine here in Ireland (for a little while anyway) - so you can enjoy the rain whilst we bask for once!!

Sublime work - not long now till the topping out ceremony. Good luck with the trip - intrigued by the reference to the Aston Martin DBS.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

It does.

Thanks Kris

That must have been the same short shower we had at 1.00am this morning

(and it does rain in Spain - 2 or 3 times a year, even in the mountains)

Definitely looking good - Hope your 72 hours away - gives you the final boost fo cross the finishing line in style

Thanks also Ron - Well it actually rains quite a bit more than that in BCN...don't remember signing up to that bit in my contract...

That's looking good. Bet your well chuffed now your on the painting stage? This should start to signal reaching the finishing line at last! ;-). Think you should have put the Class 26 on the viaduct as a distraction though! ;-)

Many thanks too Mark...I have other plans for the 26 - no worries for the cement though...

Well, thankfully, the sun has started to shine here in Ireland (for a little while anyway) - so you can enjoy the rain whilst we bask for once!!

Sublime work - not long now till the topping out ceremony. Good luck with the trip - intrigued by the

reference to the Aston Martin DBS.

Many thanks also Mike - Enjoy the sun...tomorrow, I get to be 007 for 15 minutes....

A certain Aston Martin DBS was spotted earlier today,

from a railway carriage. There was no sign of any Barcelona natives...

You need to get your scalpel out on that Aston Stu...and resculpt the sides in false perspective...

Many thanks all for the kind comments... am looking forward to getting back and trying to complete my entry...

• RMweb Gold

Shaken...but not stirred...

post-3290-0-79849300-1317106560_thumb.jpg

That's me driving at Chobham with the Instructor...

The Christmas present from my two boys last year was an 'Aston Martin blast' which meant thrashing a DBS for 3 laps at Chobham yesterday...Fantastic experience from 6th Gear and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone....hardest part was getting back into our VW Touran when I landed last night...felt like I was driving a milk float :laugh:

Now...back to reality...

Model Railways....4 days left to complete my entry :O

• RMweb Gold

Shaken...but not stirred...

post-3290-0-79849300-1317106560_thumb.jpg

That's me driving at Chobham with the Instructor...

The Christmas present from my two boys last year was an 'Aston Martin blast' which meant thrashing a DBS for 3 laps at Chobham yesterday...Fantastic experience from 6th Gear and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone....hardest part was getting back into our VW Touran when I landed last night...felt like I was driving a milk float :laugh:

Now...back to reality...

Model Railways....4 days left to complete my entry :O

Great experience I think Pete. My treat for my 60th was driving Dolgoch up to Bryn-Glas and back with a set of coaches. Those three laps will stay with you. Whatever happens in the competition I think this entry has been a winner for you. I love it.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Great experience I think Pete. My treat for my 60th was driving Dolgoch up to Bryn-Glas and back with a set of coaches. Those three laps will stay with you. Whatever happens in the competition I think this entry has been a winner for you. I love it.

Many thanks Don - I have enjoyed doing the diorama...and I get to use the viaduct/piers afterwards...sustainable modelling...

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'll say it Pete... hope you enjoyed the driving. See, we even got you some sunshine in the end :sungum: . Hope that you're back down to earth after your "bond" experience enough to finish the layout.

Thanks Jon...this evening I am hoping to re-engauge with reality...

• RMweb Gold
Not weathering in your tuxedo? Hope you are shooting the model with your camera and not your Walther.

Completely back to normal(ish) life now Tom...apart from nearly writing off our VW yesterday driving like an idiot...I had momentarily forgotton it doesn't corner on rails like an Aston...

Back to railway related matters...glued the waist to the legs last night and today will glue said viaduct and Brunel pier to the board so I can grass around the bases.

Spent 2 hours or so rescribing the joints to all the detailing stones prior to glueing the above together as they had become immersed in paint...I am glad I did it but at the time of doing it I was asking myself why I was.

Today I hope to lay out some foilage and see how it looks before planting.

Not long now...

• RMweb Gold
Scribing can be quite zen but not against the clock. Good luck with the greenery, once thats on will you be nearly done?

Thanks Tom...most of the big things are now done but its now landscaping, trees, weathering and highlighting various bits and bobs to improve...or disguise!...

• RMweb Gold

Update - Enough of that boys with toys talk Getting refocused again today with that clock ticking.

Various bits of paint sloshed about on the framework supports etc to tidy it all up and a little planting today.

Firstly I bedded the pier and viaduct to the layout and then applied some static grass longer fibres between the freight track and fence to create that slightly overgrown feel as mentioned by Stu in a few posts back. Once this was dried I then applied the same to the otherside of the track around the viaduct leg and pier to help bed them in. I have just added (not glued yet) a little green foam by the fence and adjacent to the Brunel pier to get a feel for hedges and scrub...it might need toning a little as its twenty year old stuff from my modelling past and I guess things have moved on these days.

A few pics of progress...I will sleep on it and then hopefully plant the trees and work on the backscene tomorrow...

post-3290-0-52900000-1317230700_thumb.jpg

View across rough grass adjacent to freight only line beneath...

post-3290-0-23034300-1317230722_thumb.jpg

And another a tad closer...

With The Outlaws here (:angry:) I have family engagements tonight, tomorrow and Friday evening so will have to try and squeeze a little in during the next days... :blink:

Update - Enough of that boys with toys talk Getting refocused again today with that clock ticking.

Various bits of paint sloshed about on the framework supports etc to tidy it all up and a little planting today.

Firstly I bedded the pier and viaduct to the layout and then applied some static grass longer fibres between the freight track and fence to create that slightly overgrown feel as mentioned by Stu in a few posts back. Once this was dried I then applied the same to the otherside of the track around the viaduct leg and pier to help bed them in. I have just added (not glued yet) a little green foam by the fence and adjacent to the Brunel pier to get a feel for hedges and scrub...it might toning a little as its twenty year old stuff from my modelling past and I guess things have moved on these days.

A few pics of progress...I will sleep on it and then hopefully plant the trees and work on the backscene tomorrow...

post-3290-0-52900000-1317230700_thumb.jpg

View across rough grass adjacent to freight only line beneath...

post-3290-0-23034300-1317230722_thumb.jpg

And another a tad closer...

With The Outlaws here (:angry:) I have family engagements tonight, tomorrow and Friday evening so will have to try and squeeze a little in during the next days... :blink:

A little toning Pete, yes... but not too much. A this distance it looks good, but a little colour variation might suggest different ground growing conditions and soften the feel... but go only lightly I'd say. Looking really good... I suspect you'e quite proud... you should be!

Archived