moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Update - more progress chipping away last night.

The Brunel column has now been finished with the detailing stones of the arches added - this will get a wash of grey primer later today so I can see what needs filling.

I also built the two projecting balconies and added the coping stone to one side of moorswater viaduct. I decided to use card for this to avoid laminating layers of plasticard together (my packet from Gaugemaster never arrived) and these have been layered in steps to the drawing I previously prepared. The coping stone has been added in plasticard though. I had forgotton what Liquid Poly smells like after all these years...had been using Mek Pak previously but LP seems to make me feel worse much quicker :bad:

The only thing that won't get done before the deadline is the handrail to the viaduct. I have been working with Pixie on this as he is doing a fantastic job of trying to make some sense of my CAD drawings to translate them into an etch but it is unlikely that they can be etched and turned around and flown to Spain before 1 October. For me, this project is short term and long term so rather than rush things I would rather leave it off. In reality, the original handrail was so minimal (before it was upgraded to meet modern H+S standards etc) that on some photos with a train crossing, you can barely make it out.

This evening I hope to finish the other side of the projections, put the lining stones under the main arches....and then its time to splash a bit of paint around...

A few pics of progress...

post-3290-0-49945400-1316591693.jpg

Overall showing relationship of new and old piers...

post-3290-0-98354900-1316591706.jpg

Projection and coping stones added...

post-3290-0-99270500-1316591719.jpg

Obligatory cruel close up of projection...card needs tidying a tad...

Update - more progress chipping away last night.

The Brunel column has now been finished with the detailing stones of the arches added - this will get a wash of grey primer later today so I can see what needs filling.

I also built the two projecting balconies and added the coping stone to one side of moorswater viaduct. I decided to use card for this to avoid laminating layers of plasticard together (my packet from Gaugemaster never arrived) and these have been layered in steps to the drawing I previously prepared. The coping stone has been added in plasticard though. I had forgotton what Liquid Poly smells like after all these years...had been using Mek Pak previously but LP seems to make me feel worse much quicker :bad:

The only thing that won't get done before the deadline is the handrail to the viaduct. I have been working with Pixie on this as he is doing a fantastic job of trying to make some sense of my CAD drawings to translate them into an etch but it is unlikely that they can be etched and turned around and flown to Spain before 1 October. For me, this project is short term and long term so rather than rush things I would rather leave it off. In reality, the original handrail was so minimal (before it was upgraded to meet modern H+S standards etc) that on some photos with a train crossing, you can barely make it out.

This evening I hope to finish the other side of the projections, put the lining stones under the main arches....and then its time to splash a bit of paint around...

A few pics of progress...

post-3290-0-49945400-1316591693.jpg

Overall showing relationship of new and old piers...

post-3290-0-98354900-1316591706.jpg

Projection and coping stones added...

post-3290-0-99270500-1316591719.jpg

Obligatory cruel close up of projection...card needs tidying a tad...

Hi, Pete

Looking the business - sorry to hear about the possibility your handrailing may not be available in time - nevertheless unless you knew about it, you wouldn't miss it

You're speeding up a bit now - must be able to see the finishing tape :sungum:

- we're all looking forward to the 'paint job' and final overgrowth be added to the Brunel pier

Cheers

Ron

There must be something about living in Spain..... both you and Ron H are producing some impressive modelling !

It's the sunny days & warm nights (although January & February can be a bit cool & damp), fresh mountain & coastal air, and stress free living (well for some of us) :sungum:

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

You're really hard on yourself over the detail. I think the projections and stonework are superb. But, of course, you're looking at it as a 2mm scale modeler and most of us look at it through 4mm eyes. If I could get detail to that standard then I'd be really happy. Nothing like a deadline as well - you're so close now. Brilliant stuff.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

There must be something about living in Spain..... both you and Ron H are producing some impressive modelling !

It's the sunny days & warm nights (although January & February can be a bit cool & damp), fresh mountain & coastal air, and stress free living (well for some of us) :sungum:

Thanks Stu - Ron, you forgot to mention mosquitos and the state of the Spanish economy... 8)

• RMweb Gold

Looking the business - sorry to hear about the possibility your handrailing may not be available in time - nevertheless unless you knew about it, you wouldn't miss it

Thanks Ron...I was hoping the handrail was going to be the cherry...but first I still have to finish the icing...and before that...the cake... :O

Those little projections look good to me Pete, given the size of them the tidying up is minimal.

Many thanks Kris...

You're really hard on yourself over the detail. I think the projections and stonework are superb. But, of course, you're looking at it as a 2mm scale modeler and most of us look at it through 4mm eyes. If I could get detail to that standard then I'd be really happy. Nothing like a deadline as well - you're so close now. Brilliant stuff.

Many thanks too Mike...

Nice detailing, looks good to me, see you at the finish line

Thanks also Stuart...Hope so...A number of peeps have crossed the line already...and my legs are at that jelly phase... :D

• RMweb Gold

Keep going Pete!

Thanks Tom...

I have been lurking looking at this for a few weeks now, and it is simply stunning. Well done, Sir, and thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks also Tom...

• RMweb Gold

Update - a bit more tonight although the Liquid Poly fumes have taken over...will call it a day until tomorrow.

The Brunel leg has had a wash of grey primer...amazing how grey primer unifies, tidies...and reveals all the grotty bits... :rolleyes:

I forgot to say in an earlier post but I had initially drawn and cut 3 arches in the pier...only to discover a new 'old' photo whilst researching which showed 4 arches...so quick redraw, hack of the pier and now we are back to 4 arches.

The other projections and coping stone has been built tonight but I didn't photograph as its the mirror of last nights work.

Finally...the job I have been putting off was tackled...the detail stones to the inner arches of the viaduct. This was done by aligning a strip of white paper in place, held by masking tape and the lines of the stones were marked to correspond with those on the elevation. Then the 'sawtooth' profile was cut out and positioned and held by soaking with Liquid Poly...a tip I recall I learnt from Missy (Thanks Julia :D)

A few pics...

post-3290-0-52158600-1316640989_thumb.jpg

Brunel Pier all in grey primer to flush out the errors...

post-3290-0-85147500-1316641003_thumb.jpg

Arch detailing stones to underside are now in place...

Tomorrow I think the model filler and the paint brushes are coming out... :D

• RMweb Gold

As an architect, you probably already know this, but the stones around the arch with the saw-tooth profile are called 'voussoirs'.

Thanks Andy...I confess I didn't actually :blush:

Whilst I learnt all these terms in architectural college many years back, I'm more of a concrete steel and glass sort of guy...as Mies preached...less is more :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

Not that easily distracted are you? ;-)

Progress is looking excellent and is certainly beginning to come together nicely.

I've just got to Teignmouth. Fots on the sea wall I think. If the cement is running tomorrow I'm off to Coombe Junction to take some fots! ;-)

Now focus!!!!!!!!! Almost there!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Steady now Pete, you'll soon be succumbing to all sorts... like steam! ;-)

watch this space... :O

Quality stonework you're doing there sir, very fine finish, impressive.

Many thanks Jamie...

Not that easily distracted are you? ;-)

Now I know where my eldest son gets his low attention span...mind you, mine is more than 3 seconds...

Progress is looking excellent and is certainly beginning to come together nicely.

Now focus!!!!!!!!! Almost there!

Many thanks also Mark...

If the cement is running tomorrow I'm off to Coombe Junction to take some fots! ;-)

oooooh....yes please :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Update - Painted the viaduct and Brunel pier earlier - started with a base coat of brown/grey and tomorrow I will work some black and white into it dry brushing...looks strange at the moment but better than in grey primer!

No pics as yet I am afraid...maybe tomorrow if it looks alright-ish...

• RMweb Gold
Coming along very nicely Pete! Love the old Brunel pier :)

Many thanks Tom...a bit of greenery on it should help it sit better...

as willa wonka said "so little to do and so much time to do it in"...check...reverse that...

Archived