RMweb

steve fay

It's around 17 foot long, about 18"wide on the left and 5 & 1/2 foot on the right. It is to scale the whole site. That's why I had to build the extension !!

We scaled it from an Ariel photo, OS maps and the signalling diagram.

You are nearly as slow as my Alcazar build........ well, maybe not THAT slow.......

Well I have built Canton in the same time plus detailed up a few locos & built the room to house the layout!!!!!!!

But it's an "N" gauge Castle, right? :no:

Will you be able to get at the rear of the layout OK?

What do you mean Jeff, are you telling him not to have any more Pies  :jester:

Cheers, Bob.

Hopefully this will show the tracks are at a reasonable length away, I added in extra to get the tenements in comfortably post-5983-0-01780500-1403644739_thumb.jpg

Edited for very poor grammar partly me and my medication but mostly this bloody iPad !!

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

It's once you lay the Templot plan down on the baseboards that you realise just how brilliant that program is, it saves you a lot of false starts and valuable time lost.

Martyn.

Totally Agree, it's been a godsend

Hello Steve,

this is just an idea, it may work it may not. As the plans that you are using don't have the sleepers marked on them, but have all of the main buildings on them why not tape them down and use a pin wheel to mark out the out line of the tracks and buildings and then use a pounce bag (a bag of chalk dust) to mark out the outline of the basic lines. After you then remove the basic track plan, you will have the outline of the buildings that you can mark out using the dot lines of the buildings and the tracks. 

Then all you should need is the track plan from all of the buildings. Or just the point work so that will reduce the amount of paper that you will use.

Sorry it may not sound that clear, I'll have a word about what I mean later.

OzzyO. 

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

I've kind of been doing something along those lines all ready today. I'm getting all the measurements for the sub station building and the larger one next to it for Pete ( joint lines ) so we have it on file ready.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting point Steve - just reading your little piece in the signature - but Ranelagh Bridge was Paddington and West London yard (which was basically carriage sidings and Barlby Road goods until a dmu servicing/stabling point was added) was 2 miles down the line from Paddington and a completely separate location.  Thus on the Western 'West London' meant something completely different from what would be geographically called 'west London' and it was nearly 2 miles from Ranelagh Bridge ;)

True mike but to a lot of people west London is the western section. I could amend it I suppose. Any way Ian hopefully this will give you a better perspective. The king of course being on the turn table,post-5983-0-00683600-1403970330_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Interesting point Steve - just reading your little piece in the signature - but Ranelagh Bridge was Paddington and West London yard (which was basically carriage sidings and Barlby Road goods until a dmu servicing/stabling point was added) was 2 miles down the line from Paddington and a completely separate location.  Thus on the Western 'West London' meant something completely different from what would be geographically called 'west London' and it was nearly 2 miles from Ranelagh Bridge ;)

I read a lovely letter somewhere from a woman writing to her sister about here trip to London, she said " Paddington was a lovely village some 2 miles from City" It always makes me smile, when most now think the city of London starts at Reading.

• Like 2