steve fay

Ozzy

I think you might have difficulty turning a loco with 64' wheelbase on a 65' table - I'd need to draw it to check, but I can imagine that the flanges might not quite clear the railhead of the fixed rails - it would certainly be close - in any case, you'd need an unnatural precision in parking the thing.

I also suspect that the balance might be a bit important if you're pushing it round by hand, but I've never done it, myself.

Best

Simon

If you could not fit a 64' long wheel based loco on a 65' table it was a bit pointless the W.R. borrowing Lizzies from the L.M.R. Yes it would have been a tight squeeze to fit them on, maybe when they borrowed some 8Ps later that's why they got the Duchesses? When you look at a Brit. that was a close fit on a 65' table as well.

Hi

I seem to remember that at some locations (Neyland was 1 I think) the GWR turntables had extension rails to support the overhanging tender of an over long locomotive.

Ian

Do you mean a bit like this?

post-8920-0-51394900-1400114422_thumb.jpg

Missed a post out sorry, when you see people pushing a table around you tend to see them at the engine end of the table, as this is where most of the weight will be. Most of the time it's just two men, the hardest parts of the job would be starting it moving and then stopping it.

As for coaling and watering it first, it would depend on the layout of the shed, having it full may help with the balance but it also means that you have to move another 10 tons or so? The railway men of the time would have known what was best for them.

Just out of interest did the W.R. have any 70' tables? If they did I would think it would be at the following, Old Oak, Lara and Canton. With maybe one or two more.

OzzyO.

• Like 2

Hi

According to Lyons's GW Engine shed book up to the 1870s the majority of turntables were of 45ft dia although Neath and Swindon were built with 55ft, Churchward introduced 65ft type for roundhouses and 55ft for straight road sheds, as larger 4-6-0's were introduced so a lot of the 55ft were converted to 65ft. No metion of 70ft tables at all in this book. One mention is made of Cardiff having a "Mundt" type of table installed in 1931 which "made central balancing unnecessary the engine weight being carried at the ends of the under girder"

Regards

Ian

lord Nelson On Ranelagh bridge,

From six bells junction

Notes :

(1) For Works & Shed visit, plus the newly opened Great Western Railway Museum (opened just two days earlier). A subsequent HCRC tour itinerary gave the running date for this tour as 3rd June however it is confirmed by Ron Walker that this train ran on 24th June, not 3rd June.

(2) Train was late leaving Paddington as 30850 arrived chimney-first, necessitating the loco being turned at Ranelagh Bridge depot turntable prior to departure.

(3) Formed in 1955 and originally known as the 'Middlesex Loco Spotters Club', their name was changed in the late 1950's to the 'Home Counties Railway Club' then in January 1963 it changed again, to the 'Home Counties Railway Society'.

(4) 30850 was photographed at Didcot carrying headcode SPL17 - was this headcode used throughout?

• 2 weeks later...

Went a bit nuts today, I'm paying for it now,

post-5983-0-70640100-1401208838_thumb.jpg

2x2 timbers screwed down on to the original decking boards. With 25mm insulation in between.

post-5983-0-27192700-1401208927_thumb.jpg

8x2 18mm floor boards screwed down,

post-5983-0-72084300-1401208987_thumb.jpg

First coat of paint on the ceiling.

• Like 10

The vapour barrier is pinned on the out side before the ship lap goes on.

To be honest it's a glorified shed but a bit chunkier

I'm suffering a bit now so I will leave the corrugated roof sheeting until Thursday.

There's a 4mm version of Ranelagh Bridge in the next Model Rail as it was in the late 60's after the turn table was lifted. It's very good too

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

post-5983-0-24439100-1401659143_thumb.jpg

On display at the summer O gauge show.

This will be my first JLTRT diesel kit and I'm going to build it my self (well most of it)

You will be able to see it come together on this thread,

D1000 will be back on the work bench / kitchen table tomorrow to add some lovely JLTRT castings

• Like 6

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

On display at the summer O gauge show.

This will be my first JLTRT diesel kit and I'm going to build it my self (well most of it)

You will be able to see it come together on this thread,

D1000 will be back on the work bench / kitchen table tomorrow to add some lovely JLTRT castings

I shall want one of those. Despite the fact that the Class 22 had no redeeming features whatsoever and was ugly as a turnip, I have a lingering affection for them from my spotting days at Bristol and in the West Country during the early 1970s. 

• Like 1

Yes it looks like a warship that has been driven in to a brick wall. It's like a mongrel that you can't help to like.

I always look at pictures of them on piloting duties and backing up to pilot a king and thinking, the King is going to end up shoving that puny little thing a long.

Still I'm looking forward to the build and with the D600 to follow it's going to be a great time for hydraulic modellers.

Hi

Yes, one for me to, along with the D600 when it appears, trouble is I will have the same dilemma with the D600 as Falcon, I've want the lime green one to fit with my steam fleet yet it was the BR blue one I cabbed, likewise the D600 I rememberis 601 at Pantyffynnon with headcode boxes and a small yellow panel yet the early plain green without boxes would be the more suitable.

Ian

• Like 1

I shall have one too even though they were very rarely seen in South Wales - until now! Another application of Rule 1 is in order, methinks.

I have certainly seen photos of them at Cardiff and Newport, there were some allocated to Bath Rd I think which could have workrd through the tunnel.

Ian

post-5983-0-31526900-1401737839_thumb.jpg

New bogie castings, they add weight to this area, the best part of the JLTRT version in my opinion post-5983-0-49236700-1401737993_thumb.jpg

I've filed and filled the front ends down ready for the yellow ends on both locos.

post-5983-0-54315200-1401738069_thumb.jpg

New wipers

post-5983-0-23198900-1401738123_thumb.jpg

I got some nice new steps but unfortunately they fouled the bogie so I had to resort to the originals.

My biggest gripe with this model is the flimsiness of the plastic detail parts luckily all bar the steps have been changed.

Well they're both ready for Fred now but as the Brit is down there and I'm officially on the sick whilst I wait for my surgery that might be a while.

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Great to see you and the rest of the crowd yesterday, if I had my way I would have been there all day !!  On a different subject the video clips I took on my iphone, well a couple of them have come out upside down :scratchhead: . I think you had the same problem, did you manage to sort it ?

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

post-5983-0-34254800-1401979719_thumb.jpg

The new yellow end on D1000, I'm quite eased with it, needs a little tidying with a sharp scalpel but for a first attempt I'm happy. Of course it going to have a good weathering as well.

post-5983-0-91908100-1401979822_thumb.jpg

And the Hymek, I've rubbed the old warning transfers back a tad and I will add new fox ones later. Again a little tidy up with a scalpel and it will be fine,

I lost one etched number whilst taking the masking tape off so I hope Chris at Severn mill has a sympathetic ear!!

• Like 3

post-5983-0-82429100-1402001359_thumb.jpg

Here they are on OOA

The hymek is going to be weathered by Roger Manton who weathered it for the original owner and I only want it blended back in to how it was originally.

The western will go to Fred Lewis but only once my Brit has been done.

I'm looking forward to having a bash at the warships when they arrive but hopefully the next loco across the work bench will be a JLTRT D63XX baby Warship.

• Like 5