Any Question Answered

Pixie

Framed baseboard; 6 mm ply and timber: 4" x 2", 2"x2". Then you can use balsa to raise the tracks (also good for sound proofing).

This is my board:

IMG_20130901_112322.jpg

IMG_20130914_113751.jpg

I varnished the board with "Wilko Yacht Varnish" then used 3M Spray Mount to stick the templates:

IMG_20131116_102811.jpg

Edited by Valentin
  • Like 6

Forgive an N gauge interloper please :stinker:

I've been struggling for a while with DG couplings, just can't construct them consistently with the ol' failing eyesight.

I know 2mm folks use DG couplings a lot. Is anyone aware of someone who will assemble/fit DGs to locos and rolling stock?

Cheers

Dave

Forgive an N gauge interloper please :stinker:

I've been struggling for a while with DG couplings, just can't construct them consistently with the ol' failing eyesight.

I know 2mm folks use DG couplings a lot. Is anyone aware of someone who will assemble/fit DGs to locos and rolling stock?

Cheers

Dave

You're forgiven. There are many N gauge modellers in the 2mm scale association. 

Assuming you are looking to commission this work the one person that springs to mind working on anything like this kind of basis in this scale is Jerry Clifford. You will find his contact details if you search for 'jerry clifford models' on the internet. 

• 1 month later...

Hello :)

Can anyone help me with a CH etched chassis for the Lima siphon please...

post-2065-0-64976100-1389117331.jpg

I have got this far with it but I am a little confused on how the brake stuff goes together, can anyone give me some hints / tips on how to assemble it all?

Fankoo.

Missy :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, it looks like there is a battery box in the way?

Edited by -missy-
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

it looks to me that you have too many V hangers I am not sure what diagram it is supposed to be but most seem to have one on each side but there could be others in the centre if the van. My siphons are the earleir ones 4 and 6 wheel and my reference books are not easy to reach at the moment. Try agoogle search for GWR Siphon some interesting images.

Don

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.giflima-siphon-chassis.jpg

I have got this far with it but I am a little confused on how the brake stuff goes together, can anyone give me some hints / tips on how to assemble it all?

Fankoo.

Hi Julia,

Phil and I took some snaps of B.R. built Siphon Gs at Llynclys earlier this year. Don't know if these shots will help for the version that you are building but you can also look on Paul Bartlett's site for some pics of other diagrams. As you will see from the photos there is only one outer V hanger on each side and each has a friend near the centre line of the vehicle. The shaft between them is connected to the vac cylinder and also to the brake rigging to the bogie. It gets a bit cosy where the dynamo is also in the vicinity. The small V shaped object next to the V hanger is supposed to represent one of the small brackets to which the vac cylinder is attached. 

post-9616-0-69871300-1389136790_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-01084400-1389136818_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-49414900-1389136844_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-64054600-1389136880_thumb.jpg

If all else fails, I seem to remember that there is one nearby at Didcot.

Good luck! I haven't started any of my three yet . . .

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By the way, Phil (Copleston) and I were accompanied on our gricing around the Llynclys site by this little chap:

post-9616-0-62063900-1389181595.jpg

post-9616-0-13107300-1389181632_thumb.jpg

You can't see Phil on any of the photos 'cos he's round the back somewhere fussing over something called, I think, a Toplight but as it had seats in it and wasn't a DMU I wasn't especially interested . . . :scratchhead:

David

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos David, most appreciated :)

There are a few little brackets and things on the etch and I am trying to figure out where they go. I am assuming they are part of the brakes as I cant see anywhere else they can go.

M :)

I'll have a look in some books tonight. If I can dig out the box that has the instruction sheets for things I'm currently building in it the Ultima instructions have a basic schematic for the under neath bits for different vehicle types. My bookshelves are the only things in the modelling room that are populated at the moment. 

David,

They're 9ft pressed steel plate bogies (I can say this with some confidence as they used to reside in my gloat box before a swap was negotiated with Julia!).

If all else fails then I can call into the NRM and look up what Slinn and Clarke's book on GWR Siphons says about brake arrangements/battery boxes, but it'll be next week before I get a chance to do this.

Andy

(edited to correct error)

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos David, most appreciated :)

There are a few little brackets and things on the etch and I am trying to figure out where they go. I am assuming they are part of the brakes as I cant see anywhere else they can go.

Julia,

Andy has now said that the bogies are the 9' version which makes things a lot simpler. I'll post an answer later this evening.

David

• RMweb Gold

By the way, Phil (Copleston) and I were accompanied on our gricing around the Llynclys site by this little chap:

attachicon.gif411 (Medium).jpg

attachicon.gifSDC10449 (Medium).JPG

You can't see Phil on any of the photos 'cos he's round the back somewhere fussing over something called, I think, a Toplight but as it had seats in it and wasn't a DMU I wasn't especially interested . . . :scratchhead:

David

3 chairs!  Hip hip...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julia,

Right, I think that I've worked it out now for the diagrams with 9' bogies.

One side looks like this:

post-9616-0-74438100-1389216659_thumb.jpg

Reading from left to right we have large battery box, voltage regulator, vacuum cylinder, large V hanger (joined by a shaft to another V hanger on the vehicle centre line) and finally dynamo. Here's a close up of the voltage regulator:

post-9616-0-38476800-1389216859_thumb.jpg

The other side is similar and I believe it to be, from left to right, large battery box, small battery box, vacuum cylinder, large V hanger (with shaft as above) but no dynamo.

The V hangers that you have sitting opposite the large battery box aren't required as they are for the DC brake arrangement. The small V hanger on the other side should also be removed.

Hope this helps. I need to keep these notes for when I do my own!

David

• Like 2

If all else fails then I can call into the NRM and look up what Slinn and Clarke's book on GWR Siphons says about brake arrangements/battery boxes, but it'll be next week before I get a chance to do this.

I wouldn't bother: I've checked. Underframe details in this book are far from comprehensive and the pictures are primarily of gas lit vehicles and tend to be quite dark under the solebars. There is a line drawing of the O62 underframe as photographed by David (and Phil?). Only one side is shown though and David has worked it out already.

I recall the Ultima instructions as being better but they are in a box I haven't unearthed yet. Further pictures could be gleaned in the Russell books, but I haven't had time to go through them this evening.

I wouldn't bother: I've checked. Underframe details in this book are far from comprehensive and the pictures are primarily of gas lit vehicles and tend to be quite dark under the solebars. There is a line drawing of the O62 underframe as photographed by David (and Phil?). Only one side is shown though and David has worked it out already.

Thanks Richard. I have a photocopy of the details from this book for one of the gas-lit outside frame siphons, and had assumed that other diagrams might be equally well illustrated. Russell part 2 doesn't have much info, and I don't have the Appendix volumes to check them.

Andy

Thanks Richard. I have a photocopy of the details from this book for one of the gas-lit outside frame siphons, and had assumed that other diagrams might be equally well illustrated. Russell part 2 doesn't have much info, and I don't have the Appendix volumes to check them.

Andy

One of the issues of the Russell books (aside from some known spurious captions), for me, is that the indices are far from comprehensive, such that a more thorough search is often necessary to discover whether the information sought is included.

Hi Julia,

Right, I think that I've worked it out now for the diagrams with 9' bogies.

Hope this helps.

David

Hello David (and others).

I think I have enough information I need to finish this off. Those photos are just what I needed so thanks, most appreciated...

attachicon.giflima-siphon-chassis.jpg

Fankoo.

As commented elsewhere, there are too many V hangers. The etch can build either a DC braked version, or the later 'standard' style of right hand brake levers and has the V hangers for both. You need to remove those not required for your version. Also the battery boxes represent a combination of many possible variants.

The prototype Siphon in the photos seems to have a BR style voltage regulator that GWR built examples would not have had when new. It is a late built BR example (O62) - you can most easily tell from the extra side vents - and the voltage regulator might even have been added in departmental service or  preservation.

EDIT: I checked my references and found that the right hand brake levers are appropraite for the GWR wartime built examples and the later BR built ones. For the pre-war O33s, these had the DC style brakegear. You can see photos of both types on Paul Bartlett's site.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs