Any Question Answered

Pixie

The diameter is measured across the tread and is nominally the 'as new' dimension. Over time this will wear down, I believe that in steam days it could be as much as two inches (50mm) before the wheel was retyred. I am not sure about diesels but is a significant amount, probably an inch (25mm) or more.

No doubt one of our more knowledgeable memebrs will be along very soon with the precise amounts.

Sorry Ian   Not a very good Post  !  Castle class im contemplating doing  Regards Roger

Sorry Ian   Not a very good Post  !  Castle class im contemplating doing  Regards Roger

Roger, I have just completed artwork for a trial etch of a Saint chassis and details, to go with the 3D printed superstructure. Depending on the results of that, and on when the commercial N-gauge Castle is actually available (watch Hell freezing in the background), the next project is to be a Star in 2mm FS. The chassis for that will, of course, be the same as for the Castle, give or take the length of the firebox/cab section which I'm sure can be made adaptable. I also intend to produce a compatible Star superstructure as a 3D print, in 2mmFS and in N-gauge.

Watch this space,

John

• Like 2

Roger, I have just completed artwork for a trial etch of a Saint chassis and details, to go with the 3D printed superstructure. Depending on the results of that, and on when the commercial N-gauge Castle is actually available (watch Hell freezing in the background), the next project is to be a Star in 2mm FS. The chassis for that will, of course, be the same as for the Castle, give or take the length of the firebox/cab section which I'm sure can be made adaptable. I also intend to produce a compatible Star superstructure as a 3D print, in 2mmFS and in N-gauge.

Watch this space,

John

Hi John , Many thanks for that. I have been following your postings with great interest. In the meantime i will complete dwgs for scratch building. Bit too old for this cad stuff!!!!

Look forward to your excellent postings  Regards Roger

Where can one buy etched cab side number plates for a 2mm scale LSWR/SR 4-4-0 T9?

We've tried Kingscross Plates, Guilplates and Diane Carney Nameplates without success.

Anyone have any ideas?

We're looking for two pairs probably both the same number.

Many thanks"

Where can one buy etched cab side number plates for a 2mm scale LSWR/SR 4-4-0 T9?

We've tried Kingscross Plates, Guilplates and Diane Carney Nameplates without success.

Anyone have any ideas?

We're looking for two pairs probably both the same number.

Many thanks"

Have you tried Brian at Shawplan?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This has probably been covered before,

However

When building pints, copperclad or easitrac, is it necessary to joggle the stock rails?

Regards

Ian

Only if you are building Great Western PW who I believe did use joggles. If you make sure that the end of the switch is filed really thin and the angle of cut on the straight switch matches the bend on the stock rail it isn't necessary. I've never had to put joggles in.

David

Track seems to suggest a joggle on both rails - at  least the bit I just flicked to did.  

If you don't want to joggle the rails but find it hard to get the blade thin enough at the tip without filing through the web and weakening it the fiNetrax people have this suggestion:

To reinforce the blade before filing.  The idea is that this makes it easier to get a sharp tip and avoids the need for the file-bend-file process usually used.  

Remember, it is only a small part of the point blade at the top that ever comes in contact with the wheels. You don't have to make the whole point blade come to a sharp point at the end. I tend to finish the blades off in situ, using a rat-tailed file to gently taper the top in both the horisontal and the vertical plane.

I don't find I need joggles, as such. If you are modelling bullhead points, you do need a sharp bend in the stock rail of the diverging road - something I don't see too often in model form.

Martin Wynne has posted some good stuff on this - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72348-building-a-cl-curved-crossover-in-situ/&do=findComment&comment=1057014

Hi, I've a couple of questions, if you'd be so kind..

Does the 'ram' mentioned in buffers 2-064 to 2-068 refer to the distance from the head to the piston casing, i.e. the distance the head can move back before hitting the piston case?

I'm looking for the right buffers for the association's 24.5t mineral wagons, and wondering which ones are suitable as the 2-425/2 turned head ones suggested use the old codes.

Paul

Does anyone have good advice on fitting steam domes? 

First there's the problem of holding it in position while soldering it.

And the second problem is how to solder it.

1st - Holding it seems to require some sort of screw from below, if you can access it, but is it best to have a tiny screw through a tiny hole  or a larger hole in boiler with a smaller screw through a rectangular washer so that it sits better and can be soldered from below while being held in position. Seems quite difficult also to have the undersurface absolutely fitting the boiler curve, and a large hole might help here.

2nd - Is it better to solder from within boiler or around the top (edge of dome) with a soldering iron. There are some fittings soldered into the top of the dome so a blowlamp will certainly disturb them and a even a large iron might if the brass dome gets too hot.

And finally it needs to be done so that everything underneath can be removed thus allowing the weights in the boiler to slide into position.

What methods have people found works.

Many thanks for any tips.