Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

This truly is the end of an era.

Del

Sir Stirling Moss has retired from motor racing cray.gif

He was on Radio Le Mans, having just come into the pits after a couple of laps in qualifying for the LM Legends race on Saturday and announced that it's the first time he's been 'scared' driving a race car.

He said, "I always said that I would give up when I no longer enjoyed it and I didn't enjoy that at all".

"I will not be racing at the weekend"

And later, on his Twitter account, posted this:

'It is official the white patey helmet has been hung up for good. Stirling Moss has retired from competitve racing.'

A very, very sad day indeed.

thing is at least the guy has the brains to know when to call it a day instead of going on and on and on, running everything into the ground.

yes I agree it is sad, but we all get old and we all have to retire from what we do for a living at some point.

I say that Sir Sterling has made a wise decision, he knows when he isn't enjoying it and has made that decision.

but still, a sad day..

• RMweb Premium

We have a new phrase to insert into conversations with those who are attempting things beyond their capability due to anno domini: 'time to do a Stirling, perhaps?'

A certain Mr B Forsyth comes to mind...........

• RMweb Gold

Goodness! Deb and I were in the Members' Grandstand watching him being helped from the car. We had no idea the moment was historic. Will shuffle through pics - and maybe video - to see if we can post anything!

He'll be tempted by by a deal with Mercedes when Schumacher retires a second time.:laugh:

Interesting insight into the mind of a racer though, admitting he was scared to drive the race car is not something you would expect to hear. He clearly understands there is a line and he has crossed it.

• RMweb Gold

A recent racing memory was when he appeared on Top Gear and got James May to drop 20 odd seconds a lap! May describing him as a pensioner, I can't think of a less appropriate way of describing him!!

Regards,

Nick

(oops, wrong pensioner!)

post-4295-0-28673600-1307719972_thumb.jpg

Here he is alighting from the Porsche.

EDIT Picture credit termietermite on flickr (she doesn't mind - otherwise I'll stop making her tea.)

EXCELLENT picture sir! Thankyou.

He still looks the same as I remember him when I was a youngster. (Too many years ago to publish here :rolleyes: )

• RMweb Premium

A recent racing memory was when he appeared on Top Gear and got James May to drop 20 odd seconds a lap! May describing him as a pensioner, I can't think of a less appropriate way of describing him!!

Regards,

Nick

Actually, that was Jackie Stewart - in full tartan:

s_math_ec_08188_16x9.jpg

...He still looks the same as I remember him when I was a youngster. (Too many years ago to publish here :rolleyes: )

Ditto. I had the very great pleasure of a conversation with him while assisting at a VSCC meet some 30 years ago, and exactly as dwhite: just brim full of enthusiasm for motor sport. I will bet he still is, just knows that while the spirit may be willing, the flesh is now just too weak.

The lesson in this is to follow his example: do the things you really want to do while you have the capacity, and have the wit to recognise when it is time to give up gracefully.

• RMweb Premium

post-4295-0-28673600-1307719972_thumb.jpg

Here he is alighting from the Porsche.

EDIT Picture credit termietermite on flickr (she doesn't mind - otherwise I'll stop making her tea.)

No wonder he got a bit scared, look what he was driving :rolleyes:

I saw him at the Goodwood FOS one year - good bloke.

P

Archived