2 HAL

Hi Colin

Just caught up with your thread. Teddy Francis was a prolific builder in Plasticard of all sorts of GWR clerestory stock for his wealthy clients, producing coaches of Jenkinson's quality. His coach building skills were much published in the old Model Railway Constructor magazine in the 70s

He went on to form 'Dart Castings' & 'Shire Scenes' etched parts, both businesses have changed hands several times now.

But as I have said Colin, you're certainly in that league now with this build!

John

Hi John,

I wouldn't put my work anywhere near the standard of those two modellers! They made panelled coaches - now that is a different league. (By the way, is Teddy Francis AKA ERH Francis?)

David Jenkinson mentions a figure of two hundred coaches built up to 1996 in his book on carriage building and could turn out a carriage (albeit unpainted) in a weekend. If Teddy Francis is the modeller I am thinking of, he always seemed to have an article on his latest model in the MRC. There was a series in the RM iin the 70's on GWR Centenary stock, I wish I'd still got those articles!

What I am trying to emulate is the perfecting of a standard method for construction, like DJ did. Obviously in 4mm, different rules apply, and with EMUs there are mechanisms to contend with as well.

Wrestling with flush-glazing tonight,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't put my work anywhere near the standard of those two modellers! They made panelled coaches - now that is a different league. (By the way, is Teddy Francis AKA ERH Francis?)

You're too modest Colin! Yes I should have used his 'published' name ...ERH Francis! I used to know him quite well but haven't seen him about for a few years now. I don't think that he does plasticard work any more. I believe that he's now into spiritual and other sorts of healing.

I have a 6PUL & 6PAN set to make soon and you've set me thinking...........!

The process of 'double glazing of windows is nearly complete. The panes are just a press fit at the moment - not lost any so far.

I shall be adding 'No Smoking' and 'First' transfers between the layers. Previously, I have used these markings the wrong way round as they were applied to the inside surface of the windows. Taking a flying guess, The non-smoking compartments would appear to be the four nearest the inner end of the motor coach and the first class compartment nearest the middle of the trailer coach and the adjacent third class one.

post-8139-0-86309600-1317928296_thumb.jpg

Colin

Wonderful Colin! A really great model.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I took inspiration from your weathering of the 2 EPB on your topic, St Mary Hoo. The underframes of the HAL have a mist coat of track grime over the initial coat of black. If you look closely at the windows of the HAL they're not so great as I would have liked! A bit more attention to the rough edges would have been good.

All the best,

Colin

top model have realy enjoyed seeing it come together. makes me want to build an emu any idears what you will be buiding next?

Hi farren,

Next on the list is a 4 CIG. I plan to have the window frames etched, then fit them to plastic sides. These will then be installed on Bachmann Mk1 donor carriages, which conveniently have clip-on sides. I have the Southern pride underframe parts already - still deciding on the drive unit. It will most likely be a Hornby class 73 one.

After all the controversy over the Hornby 4 CEP I'd better get the front of the cab right!

Colin

You're too modest Colin! Yes I should have used his 'published' name ...ERH Francis! I used to know him quite well but haven't seen him about for a few years now. I don't think that he does plasticard work any more. I believe that he's now into spiritual and other sorts of healing.

I have a 6PUL & 6PAN set to make soon and you've set me thinking...........!

Hi John,

I'm not being modest, there are plenty of things I would like to have done better on this model. The windows are a little rough in places, it should have been noticed when then undercoat went on. Nevertheless, at normal distances the bodywork looks OK. I'm sure ERH would have done a much better job.

Here's a picture of the rough bits. (Some of them anyway.) (Edit: this picture was taken before the flush-glazing and handrails were fitted.)

post-8139-0-54471600-1318006932_thumb.jpg

It might be possible to correct the rough edges and re-touch the paintwork. Risky stuff.

A 6 PAN and a 6 PUL? You must be in for a long haul there! The HAL has taken three month's worth of spare time.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Truly excellent! Good luck with the 4Cig. Mine has stalled for a while as I am laying a tiled floor in my hall and kitchen. I have used the Hornby 73 bogie and it seems to have enough power for the four cars. Once again excellent work.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Colin,

Truly excellent! Good luck with the 4Cig. Mine has stalled for a while as I am laying a tiled floor in my hall and kitchen. I have used the Hornby 73 bogie and it seems to have enough power for the four cars. Once again excellent work.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Yes, I think a '73 bogie will do the job. Not that I will post any pictures, but I have tried the HAL to see how much it could shift with the Black Beetle power bogie. It managed four TTA wagons easily. Not a pretty sight, but interesting to see there is power to spare. It's all a question weight in the right place.

After the 4 CIG, I fancy a go at a scratch-built 4 COR. Well, Natalie did tell me to make one! So there we are then, quite a few months of modelling planned out.

Colin

2 HAL finished!

The contrast between flush and recessed glazing can be seen in this shot. (If you look closely!) The lower commode handle on the luggage compartment door should have been perpendicular and not following the tumblehome inwards - only just realised this:

post-8139-0-89420500-1318186452_thumb.jpg

Must get around to putting transfers on those wagons in the background:

post-8139-0-62422200-1318186523_thumb.jpg

4 CIG next.

Colin

Hi Colin

Completed and painted unit looks very good. Some nice shots standing under the platform canopy at NH. I know I have badgered you to build a 4-COR next but have you considered a 2-PAN? These worked in your area (well along the coast between Brighton and Worthing with appearances at Bognor too) during 1970-72 (according to the Central Division CWN for the period often in 10 car trains from places such as Brighton) and would make something a little different potentially. Unfortunately pictures of them seem few and fair between so I'm not sure if any modifications were carried out on them. The one picture I have seen suggests not...

Hi Colin

Completed and painted unit looks very good. Some nice shots standing under the platform canopy at NH. I know I have badgered you to build a 4-COR next but have you considered a 2-PAN? These worked in your area (well along the coast between Brighton and Worthing with appearances at Bognor too) during 1970-72 (according to the Central Division CWN for the period often in 10 car trains from places such as Brighton) and would make something a little different potentially. Unfortunately pictures of them seem few and fair between so I'm not sure if any modifications were carried out on them. The one picture I have seen suggests not...

Hi Natalie,

I haven't forgotten what you said at Nottingham re. a 4 COR! They did work the Coastway services for a couple of years and there is plenty of information on them. I have found that a good source of drawings for SR EMUs is Mike King. I am going to order various plans from him.

Coincidentally to your comments on the 2 PAN, Mike King told me that his 2 HAL drawings were based on actual measurements taken from a 2 PAN. But what is done is done and I don't think I would build another 2 HAL just now. There would also be the problem of the motor coaches looking slightly different to each other as Mike King's plans would be correct.

In the meantime, as I have said, I shall have a bit of a rest and make 4 CIG. I have this feeling it's not going to be that simple!

(Edited for typos)

All the best,

Colin

Oi!

Nuff of that. :)

Spose you want some 4 Cig stuff now?

Anyway,

I measured some of the underframe gear if you need a rough guide. Probably got the photos as well.

Mail me.

Dave

Spose I do Dave!

The information on the HAL that you posted was essential. I have no topic set up yet for the CIG, but will let you know.

Colin

Came across "St Mary Hoo" yesterday for first time, reckon these units would look good on that layout?

Hi stadman,

I'm sure a HAL would look very well on the very excellent St Mary Hoo. The HALs did move westward in later years, but I'm sure a point could be stretched. I do not know if any HALs lingered on the eastern section of the Southern Region nto 1970. I had read that the HALs were replaced by BR 2 HAPs there.

My HAL is sadly 00 gauge, so could not run on Simon's P4 layout - even if it was next door (which the baseboards were last winter).

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Yet another fantastic unit there Colin; you could set yourself up as an EMU scratch builder on a commercial basis or produce kits. Even if the HALs didn't travel that far east, one in P4 would look great on St. Mary Hoo! I just asked the station master there and he gave the idea a true thumbs up...

All the best

Simon

Archived