Heathfield branch developments

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm which traincrew depot the loaded train from Teigngrace is worked from, please?

That's an interesting question and I ought to know the answer, it's certainly from somewhere 'up North/up in the Midlands' (as compared with South Devon, you understand ;) ). However, I can ask tomorrow for you, if you like.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of the current situation of the branch? Do the log trains still run each week?

No, not at the moment, the service was suspended earlier this year, due to a change in contractual arrangements between the end users (eg. Kronospan) and the timber suppliers (ie. the plantations). Firms like Kronospan are currently taking a lot of timber from South West Wales, but there are plans to resume operations from Heathfield at an as-yet unspecified date.

• Like 2

We are a fledgling not for profit organisation who want to reopen the Heathfield branch as a Newton Abbot Park & Ride. We thought the members involved in this blog would be interested to hear of our plans.

We have used a few of Capt Kernow's pictures in our web site coverage of our research and  progress. We hope he does not mind.

http://ndncra.co.uk/newtonabbotparkandride.html

No, not at the moment, the service was suspended earlier this year, due to a change in contractual arrangements between the end users (eg. Kronospan) and the timber suppliers (ie. the plantations). Firms like Kronospan are currently taking a lot of timber from South West Wales, but there are plans to resume operations from Heathfield at an as-yet unspecified date.

One ran 28/11...

We could not contact the Captain without joining this blog, the main reason we joined, and we do credit him on the site even if it is by his psudonym. Also hoped it would generate interest.

• RMweb Gold

We could not contact the Captain without joining this blog, the main reason we joined, and we do credit him on the site even if it is by his psudonym. Also hoped it would generate interest.

Yes, I understand. I think the sequence of actions you took was the wrong one, in this case you have hurried to post the pictures up to support your cause without seeking permission first

You must understand that people can get very grrrr about this sort of thing, and if you want to push forward a project such as this, you must take people's opinions and feelings on board.

• RMweb Gold

One ran 28/11...

So it did, Martyn. Just checked TRUST and it went down on the 27th and returned on the 28th. This now signals a resumption of traffic, albeit (for the time being) on a slightly reduced frequency as compared with previously.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are a fledgling not for profit organisation who want to reopen the Heathfield branch as a Newton Abbot Park & Ride. We thought the members involved in this blog would be interested to hear of our plans.

We have used a few of Capt Kernow's pictures in our web site coverage of our research and  progress. We hope he does not mind.

http://ndncra.co.uk/newtonabbotparkandride.html

Actually I do mind, and I would thank you to take my photos down from your website with immediate effect.

I will also go so far as to say that you should not be putting information regarding your aspirations in the public domain without proper consultation with Network Rail, who own and continue use this line as part of the national network.

There are a number of statements on your webpage that are not correct, and you would be well advised to get your facts straight first, before publishing this kind of information.

Personally, I also take exception to single-issue groups like yours coming onto fora like this, purely for your own ends, rather than to genuinely engage with those of us interested in the real and model railway world.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

http://ndncra.co.uk/newtonabbotparkandri

I have suspended access to the site as not only was the misappropriation of a member's images on the site in breach of law and forum rules but it's evident membership was only taken out to try and promote a cause.

A word to the wise; it's better to work with bodies and authorities on such proposals rather than trying to ask for donations to fight legal battles.

• Like 4

I am astounded at the naivety and amateurish approach of this 'group (of how many?)' having looked into things further - very much a lesson of how not to go about things in my book. Although if it ever got off the ground "The Titfield Line" may be a suitable moniker. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very disappointed to see that this has happened Tim. 

I see that the website owner has claimed copy write of several images, not yours I assume. 

I am a little concerned that we as a community may be coming across too aggressive against Guest_HANPAR_*, but do agree with all the criticism of the approach regarding the use of the Captian's photos and the use of the forum. It is a nice idea but seemingly ill-thought out.

I find it interesting that they publish their intentions before having asked the public if they actually want it.

Our original idea was to completely reinstate the Moretonhampstead branch but the road over the old track bed at bovey and the council turing the rest north into a cycle way makes the cost outweigh an possible return. So reluctantly we have dropped that part of our idea.

This small section makes me really question the group's local knowledge. How long had they pondered on this idea before 'reluctantly' dropping it? Whilst its always nice to ponder the re-opening of the line, it only takes a couple of seconds before you remember the several impracticalities, and I can hardly call myself a local.

I am a little concerned that we as a community may be coming across too aggressive against Guest_HANPAR_*, 

It's very rare that such an approach is adopted but I had some serious concerns over actions already carried out borne out by correspondence after this event where there's a monumental knowledge gap over how things work in the real world where seemingly everyone else is out of step with what one person wants or thinks they can say or do.

• RMweb Gold

Very disappointed to see that this has happened Tim. 

I see that the website owner has claimed copy write of several images, not yours I assume. 

Yes, their whole approach is inappropriate, for reasons that I won't go into further right now. I've come across groups like that before. As regards the images, they can claim what they like about their own, I shall give them a few days and check to see that nothing of mine is left up there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am astounded at the naivety and amateurish approach of this 'group (of how many?)' having looked into things further - very much a lesson of how not to go about things in my book. Although if it ever got off the ground "The Titfield Line" may be a suitable moniker. ;)

Reminds me of a thread on the National Preservation forum where a represenative of a group wanting to reopen part of the Meon Valley line threw a hissy fit when people started pointing out the many and signifficant flaws in their plan - including glibley assuming they will be able to buy station sites off the current owners, ignoring the condition of structures, not consulting with the local councils, assuming the council will give them a grant on a whim, assuming everyone will let them do what they want, etc.

Basically if anyone wants to reopen a line the first thing to do is get a solid business plan together and have the specific support of local governmental organisations, business and residents. Anyone can knock up a website with photos (stolen or not) pretty maps, etc but that is of zero use unless the professtional background work is in place and in some ways only makes things harder if a more professional scheme comes along later.

However if I turn back to the Heathfield branch what i would say is that the idea of some sort of park and ride service from Heathfield to say, Paington certainly has some merit. Whether that can be refined into a workable business proposition on the other hand.....

• Like 1

So it did, Martyn. Just checked TRUST and it went down on the 27th and returned on the 28th. This now signals a resumption of traffic, albeit (for the time being) on a slightly reduced frequency as compared with previously.

Excellent. :) 

I was at Starcross eating a bag of chips with the missus after looking at a house, and it made for a nice surprise. :)

• Like 1

Re Teigngrace timber train-

One ran 28/11...

I think it was just to clear the site of stored logs rather than an indication of more traffic.

There are many rumours doing the rounds ranging from the site having a short break in traffic until it resumes, the traffic transferring to St Blazey, this being the end of the traffic and a few other interesting ideas, time will tell.

As for the pie in the sky idea of a park and ride scheme, how much will it cost to bring the line up to passenger standards (and who is going to pay for it), what sort of line speed are they talking about, what sort of journey time, frequency of the service, where will the Car Park be, how big will the car park be, who is going to operate the trains, who is going to supply the train, what sort of traffic levels do they predict etc etc.