Golden Age

kiltedsignaller

Very nice models and all, but until Golden Age Models can get the nameplates right on their 'OO' A4's (I'm yet to see a single one with them right) and until their show representatives can learn to be polite to me, they will not be getting a single penny off of me, which is a shame as I see that there is a very nice V2 on their website.

....until their show representatives can learn to be polite to me....

Reminds me of the anecdote about Tony Crook when he ran Bristol Cars. Allegedly when he was on duty in the sole showroom (near Olympia), he kept the glass doors locked. Prospective customers had to ring the bell, and wait for Mr. Crook to scrutinise them from his office at the back. If he didn't like the look of them, the doors would stay locked!!

• Like 2

Some of the Golden Age representatives are polite. One comes to the Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group as the company is based in Swanage. He said that some of his best sales are to the least likely looking people who come to shows in shabby clothes so he is always polite to everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things are on the move in Swanage with the arrival of new stock. I have been dealing with Quentin Poore by telephone and he tells me I should receive my O scale ex-Devon Belle observation car Sc280M tomorrow. I'm sure it will be well worth the three+ years wait since I ordered it. :-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have seen these 7mm. models close at hand at various shows and the bogie wheels on the large LNER class models look nothing like what came out of Doncaster works, apart from being round. The driving wheels fare better but the tyres on these are woefully thin. Considering the price being asked for one of these models I would have expected that the wheels would have been spot on for a locomotive being offered in ex. works condition......

Alan Harris no longer makes wheels, so that's a pity. Still, I wonder if they can be replaced by Slaters wheels?

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are, they are currently taking orders for a set of great western coaches

I don't see how they are taking orders for GWR Coaches when the link on their website goes to the LMS Coaches page instead.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just to add my g1 Belle is lovely - runs a dream  one of only 16 made - mine in blue grey -a very limited variation Quentin told me- as he delivered by hand ! Currently a shelf queen but its a big shelf! 

Radio control gear and engineering brilliant and with opening doors, laid tables and interior lighting on rechargable cells sitting in dark looking at model it shows what can be done. Fine attention to detail. 

Always found Quentin to very helpful - if sometimes a little stressed by dealing with overseas contacts!! and his colleague on the stand - sorry name escapes but you know who you are does brilliant lazer cut models - the turntable quite fanstastic - all well worth a look over the stand and a quick hello. I have suggested to Quentin that a G1 Hymec diesel would be a good starting point... you never know unless you ask.

Robert   

Yes they are, they are currently taking orders for a set of great western coaches

Great Western coaches?

I have admired their LNER an Pullman coaches, but not had a use for them. 

Given the unlikelihood of an RTR manufacturer producing GW 70' coaches, I would have thought that Dreadnoughts, Concertinas and S. wales vehicles would be the perfect subject for a premium product such as Golden Age.  this sort of coach is always going to be expensive to own, so it is easier to justify from this manufacturer.

But what GW coaches are planned, if any?

Centenary and super saloon plus some Collett large window types

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/phone/gwr-coaches-o-gauge.html

Thanks, I also managed to find them.  The Super Saloon pictured looked truly magnificent.  £350 RTR for a non-panelled coach is a good price, compared with purchasing a kit and commissioning a build.

My only uncertainty (and if it ever looks like I might have a spare £3,500, the question I would put to Golden Age) is whether the Centenaries would be available as built, rather than with the window vent modification.  I would need 'as built'.

I do think that they could shift 70 footers, especially panelled designs and especially Dreadnoughts.  I'd want sets in fully lined and plain chocolate and cream, and some of these beasts still ran under BR (I believe (not my period!)).

What made my jaw drop, however, was the picture of the pre-WW1 Star.  That I would dearly love, and a Cornish Riviera hauled by that Star with a rake of fully lined out Dreadnoughts would be stunning if Golden Age were to produce them.

post-25673-0-51025700-1461748259_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Some of the Golden Age representatives are polite. One comes to the Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group as the company is based in Swanage. He said that some of his best sales are to the least likely looking people who come to shows in shabby clothes so he is always polite to everyone.

That's something drilled into car sales people, particularly dealers selling brands like Mercedes Benz, not to write off people who don't look like the sort of people likely to buy a new car.

When I grew up and lived up North it was not unusual to see farmers visit car dealers looking like they'd been pulled through a hedge backwards (a lot of dealerships are near the livestock market in Carlisle). They were apparently some of the best customers of said car dealers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is something very special about factory finished brass models. I have the FIA LMS 10000, I also have a Bachmann LMS 10000. I use the Bachmann as the runner on our trainset and usually keep the FIA version in a cabinet. In some ways the Bachmann is the better model, certainly I find it a much better runner. Yet the FIA model has what I can best describe as a presence which lifts it up into a different class in my opinion and despite its cost I've never felt short changed by it or regretted buying the model. I collect American and Japanese brass models from companies like Overland and Tenshodo, despite the fact that RTR plastic is now superb in both markets I still find the brass versions have a presence that plastic cannot match. So I can understand why people buy models from Golden Age, they are lovely models.

• RMweb Gold

There is something very special about factory finished brass models. I have the FIA LMS 10000, I also have a Bachmann LMS 10000. I use the Bachmann as the runner on our trainset and usually keep the FIA version in a cabinet. In some ways the Bachmann is the better model, certainly I find it a much better runner. Yet the FIA model has what I can best describe as a presence which lifts it up into a different class in my opinion and despite its cost I've never felt short changed by it or regretted buying the model. I collect American and Japanese brass models from companies like Overland and Tenshodo, despite the fact that RTR plastic is now superb in both markets I still find the brass versions have a presence that plastic cannot match. So I can understand why people buy models from Golden Age, they are lovely models.

I purchased one of the second batch of FIA Trains some years ago:10000 in black&silver circa 1953 with cycling lion crest.Its performance with its Canon motor is silent ,silky smooth and powerful and it will haul anything I choose to couple behind it. The only thing I need to take care occasionally with it is over a baseboard join when it can derail. Yes,the Bachmann twins are also superb.No complaints there either

The FIA Trains model is quite simply the best model of any kind I possess.

Horsetan, The price of these models at almost three grand a piece warrants attention to detail and replicating such detail with the utmost care and attention. ... I somehow don't think think there will be any problems there, having viewed his and Micheal Brooks efforts at close hand so perhaps all is not lost. Apart from a couple of hundred quid, but certainly worth it. A "ha'p'orth of tar" certainly comes to mind in this instance!  

Others can drop clangers as well. The photos in the gallery of the Masterpiece models Star class show "Dog Star " as built with a boiler without top feed. The tender under frame however has the C1925 arrangement of the straight top springs and transverse vacuum cylinder. 

Craig W

• 8 months later...

I emailed GAM about ordering one of their Castle Class models and a rake of GWR coaches, man I'll be saving up at least 5 paychecks to afford these, hopefully I get a response soon as I've ordered 5034 Corfe Castle and a random GWR coach rake with 2 Super Saloons and a few of the Collett large window stock, hopefully I can ask him for a few pics of the models too. Speaking of, has anyone seen or snapped pics of the GAM GWR 4-6-0s that are being produced as I am curious to see what they look like.

• 7 months later...