Class 85

Michael Delamar

I think the guys who have Bee Lane have a couple of 85s now and if they run their models extensively then this could be a good barometer as to the durability of the pans used under tension with catenary.

So far my two 85's have done around 2 hours of running on Bee Lane and the Pan dose seem to be up to the job of riding up against the wires.

One of them even got the better of a base board joint wire that had unclipped from a head span. The wire was left buckled so I think the Bachmann Pan is as robust as the Summerfeldt ones.

One thing a lot of you may find is the pin that holds the elbow of the pan together is a loose fit and it may work it's way out over time. I found one of the pins already missing in one of my 85's on delivery and had to make a replacement out of brass rod that is a tighter fit.

Carl

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

One thing I forgot with my detailing is the lamp irons that are fitted above the buffers. For the pipe people are talking about I used 0.8mm wire filed flat on the back so that it can sit over the moulded detail.

I have started weathering my pair and will post how I did it at the end if people would like to see it (just like the post rather than clog up the thread if thats the case)

Cheers

Jim

• Like 3

I know I go on my phone aswel.

I just think its a bit better as not everyone clicks the links as that takes time too and they might be clicking a link for something that doesnt interest them.

but will keep that in mind, maybe post them at smaller thumnail res.

I dont do it for any thanks, Im looking for pics for myself mainly but do like to share them if it find something that could help or be of interest to someone else.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my 85 from the Hobby Shop at Faversham on Friday and having being laid out over the weekend by one of those 24-hour bugs managed to do some testing today - as everybody says, the Cl.85 certainly does run sweetly. Having managed to get the pantograph up, just got to work out how to clip it down now.....

The Belle is dcc-fitted and runs well but at slow speed not as smoothly as the Cl.85 on analogue.

Keith

post-586-0-35153200-1337637647.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to try and resist temptation and hold off from buying one of these, however, don't think that will happen. A business trip into Liverpool I think is required, with a diversion via Smithdown Road. Failing that, I could always pick one up at the Wigan Exhibition in June!

Cav, that 85 you have renumbered and weathered looks brilliant, I cannot wait to see it on Outon Road.

Cheers

Simon

email from Hattons today..

"Bachmann UK 31-676 Class 85 (AL5) Bo-Bo Electric E3058 in BR Electric Blue with twin pantograph. Price up to £86 on Sunday 20th May. £86.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 28th May 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only"

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

I might be biased as I like leccies but I didn't realise the Heljan DP2 is also available(seems to have gone somewhat un-noticed) I hope Bachmann are paying attention to the fuss the 85 has generated. It's slightly interesting to note that the etched double arrows are marked as LMR 25kv and not class 85! :)

Cheers

Jim

• Like 7

It's slightly interesting to note that the etched double arrows are marked as LMR 25kv and not class 85! :)

Oooh :) Just had a quick check of the dimensions listed on therailwaycentre.com (which may or may not be correct). An 81 looks like an obvious next step if you want to reuse the drive mechanism. Are the bogies themselves actually the same on the two classes? Are they shared with the AL6 as well..? Happy hunting ground for Bachmann if that's the case.

Guest jim s-w

The bogies are the same yes (their mounting braket is different but that's moulded on the body)

They are different to the 86 but that would just need a new plastic bit - the mechanicals are fine (same for an 87 and 90)

Cheers

Jim

Comparison shot of a before and after. Not much more to do to the 85 now. I dont think.

post-6894-0-13802200-1337689071_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-39303400-1337689095_thumb.jpg

Cav

Re-gear to 80mph? :mosking:

Talk about not hanging around though.........The best work Ive seen Cav.

Edited by ThaneofFife

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

This is how I have weathered my class 85's (other methods are available but I hope this is useful.)

I use 3 different techniques and the first is washes.

class85washed.jpg

I use neat turps substitute to 'wet' the model and then with small amounts of paint add streaks and dirt around the details - those used to water colour painting will find this very familiar. For 85020 I found a pic with the front looking quite chipped and to replicate this I loaded my brush with a small amount of grey and used a screwdriver to flick the paint onto the front.

class85roofwashed.jpg

I also washed the roof and the corridor while I was at it.

class85interior.jpg

The next stage (when thats dried for a few days) is airbrushing.

class85sairbrushed.jpg

I Use humbrol 29 for the dust and a mix of gunmetal and black for the greased bits.

class85roof%20final.jpg

Final stage is drybrushing

class85drybrushed.jpg

Referring to pictures class 85s seem to collect dark patches on the brake push rods, the axleboxes, on the battery box hinges and below the dampers - use gunmetal for this and also to highlight the springs. Use metal coat aluminim for the edges of the footsteps and finally a touch of clear floor polish (or gloss varnish) for the shiny bits on the push rods. (you can better see the chips on the front in this picture)

85018.jpg

Below a couple of pics on the layout

85018atBNS.jpg

85020atBNS1.jpg

Cheers

Jim

• Like 18

Nice touch with the silver showing behind the back of the buffers (something I suggested to Bachmann last year in order to retain the sprung buffers-painting just bungs them up).

Is there any story behind choosing to renumber them 18 and 20 Jim?

• RMweb Gold

I got the first of my Bachy 85s today (£85 from Cheltenham Model Centre). Very pleased with it, definitely one of the best RTR locos we've ever had. I'm also very pleased with how close the body shell matches my own scratchbuilt one. :no:

The pan is very nice, with suitably weak springing, so much so that it passes my pencil test and will be permitted to run under my OHLE. My test is that the springing has to be weak enough that the weight of a pencil will push the pan down. The pipework in the roof well is good, I haven't had the chance to compare it with the roof pics I have on the laptop yet but I'll get to that later this evening.

There's a vey definite mould line down the corners of the nose that could benefit from some attention with a file but would then require the nose being touched up.

I haven't been able to run it yet either, I'll need to find the brake release first anyway - the brakes are moulded in the on position :scratchhead: a consequence of laser scanning a parked loco I guess... Other thoughts on the bogies:- they seem a little 2d, the brake cylinders are very low relief and the angle looks wrong (possibly because they are moulded 'on'?)

On the whole though for first impressions I'll give it 9&3/4 out of 10...

Andi

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

I am pretty unsure or what you are saying here oldlugger. The loco should have a fine scale pantograph so that the average modeller can use a hugely over scale completely wrong overhead system with it?

Using 0.3 wire is 20% over scale (00 track is only 13% under scale!) however the technique for scale overhead is the same, it's just a case of sourcing the right stuff.

Colin Craig does Insulators and I can produce my registration arm etch for those interested. If people are drop me a pm with numbers.

standard%20mast.jpg

Cheers

Jim

It is perfectly clear what I am saying if you just choose not to be deliberately perverse. I'll spell it out yet again; why can't manufacturers supplying the British market produce a pantograph that works out of the box, that doesn't require modifications of some sort or replacing altogether? Also in answer to the post of another here, it was suggested that the average UK modeller does not understand or know how to erect catenary. My answer is, Sommerfeldt for the average UK modeller. It may be over scale but it still looks perfectly acceptable and performs very well. For those like you who feel the need to produce catenary with microscopic wires (judging by your remark I can only surmise that your wires are under 0.3mm) Sommerfeldt is not an option. I was building, and pioneering with a friend of mine (who scratch built a scale model of Tiefencastel station on the Albula line in Switzerland; one of the finest layouts I have ever seen, putting most of the best P4 layouts to shame) very fine scale RhB and SBB catenary way back in the 1980's, just as fine and finer than your stuff on BNS, and it was energised. I'm sorry to say.

Cheers

Simon