The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gone but very much missed

iL Dottore

p.s. my dream set up in the 1970s (i.e. I dreamed of having one) was a HIWATT 100W Head running into some WEM cabinets with a big muff, binson echoplex and wah-wah pedal (I'm sure Trisonic remembers....) and perhaps a Leslie :biggrin_mini2:

David Gilmour fan?

Hard to believe but in 1967 I had lunch in a Denmark St. cafe at the same table as Jimi Hendrix and Chas Chandler were having breakfast (it's a long story). Nice guys.

Best, Pete.

I miss...

Being fourteen with not a care in the world,

The old roof and track layout of Rugby Midland Station,

The endless 25s that used to infest the place,

Family members long gone,

Airfix kits for 37p,

The excitement of buying the latest Locoshed book and underlining 'cops' in Biro,

Cycling to Leamington to see Westerns on 1M11, 1V28 etc,

My Vox Teardrop Starstream MkX11 guitar, I wish I'd never sold it...

;)

Routemaster buses with lovely-sounding AEC engines working hard. Yes I know many preserved ones still have AECs in them, but they don't get 'driven' like in the old days. Much sweeter than the gruff-sounding modern replacement engines most of the last service Routemasters had.

ps. I never did like the gruff sound of the Leylands much either, but they were better than the new-uns.

Hard to believe but in 1967 I had lunch in a Denmark St. cafe at the same table as Jimi Hendrix and Chas Chandler were having breakfast (it's a long story). Nice guys.

I'm sure the celebs were more down to earth in those days. While at an audition in 1960, I met Joe Brown. He wanted to come back with us but Jack Good wouldn't let him off the lot. Chatted with Billy Fury and ended up with his Biro. I'm told we shared stage with the Hollies once (they were unknown at the time). All the northern towns had rock groups around the early 60s.

Following on to the Gone but not much missed thread...

• Airfix kits in bags and which cost less than half-a-crown (you could muck one up without too many regrets, unlike the Airfix kits that came in boxes and were beyond pocket money reach)

FROG Kits for me. Always seemed to be better quality than Airfix; and didn't come in strange plastic colours. I particularily remember the 1:72 P47 Thunderbolt. My first Airfix kit was a 'boil in the bag' job.... can't remember which one... was the Chinook ever in a plastic bag? If so..... All this in choice in Bude, of all places, and me not much more than 7 or 8, I think.

Cheers

Jan

I'm sure the celebs were more down to earth in those days. While at an audition in 1960, I met Joe Brown. He wanted to come back with us but Jack Good wouldn't let him off the lot. Chatted with Billy Fury and ended up with his Biro. I'm told we shared stage with the Hollies once (they were unknown at the time). All the northern towns had rock groups around the early 60s.

Well, Mike, we never called them "Celebs" for a start and I don't even think "Rock Star" as a term was coined then either, just musicians......it's the "media" that recently created the frenzy on behalf of a bunch of no talented half-wits!

I met Jimi one more time before his untimely death - he was a gentleman. We talked about modern British Science Fiction of which he was very knowledgeable.

Best, Pete.

Well, Mike, we never called them "Celebs" for a start and I don't even think "Rock Star" as a term was coined then either, just musicians......it's the "media" that recently created the frenzy on behalf of a bunch of no talented half-wits!

What's wrong with me.......Slap my wrist for using a modern turn of phrase.! I also used the term Rock Group. We were simply in a "Group" and we definitely never referred to ourselves as musicians. But seeing as we are in pedantic mood, I am not Mike either!:pleasantry:

• RMweb Gold

The old roof and track layout of Rugby Midland Station,

Including the scissors.

And tea in the Relief Cabin at the south end of the Up Platform. Showing my age now - good place to get to know the drivers and get cabbing invitations. We posted a lookout with binoculars outside to keep an eye on the GC bridge

• RMweb Premium

Midland Red buses (- especially the D9) and their routes, mostly gone, with some very long journeys in the country.

Municipal Bus companies (I know some survive but most have been lost)

Proper Trams - I can remember a tram ride from the middle of Brum to the Lickeys.

The original Radio Caroline.

Curry houses when all you got was Curry, not Tikka, Tandoori, Makhani, etc. etc.

4 oz Sun Pat hot roasted peanuts - 3d, Cashews 4d

Penny bottles of pop from a local shop (I dread to think what they made it from!)

EDIT:

Green Shield stamps

Chris

Remember Pink Stamps - never seemd as good

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Being able to buy proper light bulbs in any decent hardware shop.

Decent hardware shops. Which should always smell of slug pellets and have an old gaffer in a brown dust-coat serving you.

• Like 1

David Gilmour fan?

Yep! (I wish I had even only 10% of hs magic and I'd be a happy strummer)

Pete Townshend (also a favourite) also used HIWATT gear (not sure what gear Martin Barre used with Tull, SOUND CITY perhaps) - so HIWATT has long been a "Holy Grail" of gear for me (too loud and too expensive for a garage band hobbyist back in the 70s, at least for me)

Classic Who, Tull and Floyd

Back on theme: classic 1938 (or even earlier) tube stock - where you could sit properly, not in single file with backs against the window

Late night Class 50 hauled Mk 1s Waterloo to Andover

VESTA curries (truly terrible, but an exotic taste of the Orient when at home in the 60s. My Uncle - who had lived in Hong Kong for a year in the mid 60s and seemed very sophisticated - used to spice up the VESTA curries with extra spices and ingredients - then they became edible)

Action Man (NOT GI Joe) and the huge selection of different uniforms & gear; from Commando to Stormtrooper

"Proper" Bond films (Sean Connery AND a relatively close resemblance to the Ian Fleming originals)

F

What's wrong with me.......Slap my wrist for using a modern turn of phrase.! I also used the term Rock Group. We were simply in a "Group" and we definitely never referred to ourselves as musicians. But seeing as we are in pedantic mood, I am not Mike either!:pleasantry:

Oops, apologies, Larry!

Why, I don't know but I'm always mixing you up with The Stationmaster.............I've played with people that should never have been described as musicians too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I believe Fine Fare were taken over by International Stores (?), who I think later went bust.

Amazin' Raisin bars

Cinema showing two films in a continuous programme so if you missed the beginning you could stay on 'up to where you came in' or

even longer. The second features were often good in their own right; throw in the Pathe Pictorial and you had over 3 hours for your 2/9d.

Pete

Hayman drums, Ivor Arbiters attempt to build a British drum to compete with US makes like Ludwig and Gretsch. Excellent drums and, for a while (late 60's, early 70's) very successful too. At one time it seemed virtually every British drummer, pop, rock and jazz was playing them. I had a thrash on a set at an instruments fair at the old Belle Vue in Manchester, couldn't afford them at the time but now have a four piece set to refurbish.