Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Just for fun...honest!

Which would you like?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. No matter the state of your railway, if I could give you one of the following, which would you go for?

• A new loco
    • 3 new coaches
    • 6 new wagons
    • 2 new sidings
    • 1 extra platform at a station
    • Better lighting over your railway
    • A change to dcc
    • Working signals
    • 1 hour a week on your railway

I've just purchased the Bachmann Single Road Depot, and made two extra sidings to accommodate it

It got me thinking, given the choice, which would you rather?

This is just for fun! (Although could be considered as market research!)

Cheers

Jon

Since I'm already on DCC and have locomotives, coaches and wagons coming out of my ears, the track is well on the way and the station basically cannot accommodate another platform, it came down to working signals or better lighting. Since the majority of my signals on this new layout will be colour light signals which work anyway, that leaves lighting as being the weakest point for my own situation.

Hello Jon, from Jeff in Melbourne! :)

• RMweb Premium

I can't take part in the poll, as the answer I need isn't there: a sufficiently big enough home to allow me to even build a model railway :lol: (presuming of course I have a job to pay for the council tax, bills, etc).

(btw, it's not so much the space for a layout as they can be quite small, as the space to be able to do the construction of the baseboards and the associated wiring, modelling, etc).

Its great to hear your thoughts. I think it really has to be time for me too. I have time to read magazines in my lunch break, and look at RMweb in the evenings, but its no good having all of the rails and rolling stock you could dream of if you don't have time to do anything with it!

Thanks everyone for voting, I'll be passing the results to my wife! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Its great to hear your thoughts. I think it really has to be time for me too. I have time to read magazines in my lunch break, and look at RMweb in the evenings, but its no good having all of the rails and rolling stock you could dream of if you don't have time to do anything with it!

Thanks everyone for voting, I'll be passing the results to my wife! ;)

ISTR Geelong got a new ring-road a while back. Has that shortened your working day at all?

• RMweb Gold

Time - today this (partially) retired fellah is booked for a trip to Tesco followed by wall building (12":1ft scale) possibly followed by an emergency visit to the chiropractor.

Update - following management instruction the wall building was deferred to be replaced by jungle clearance (well you can hardly call it grass cutting when it's 2 feet tall). The chiropractor was contacted by 'phone, for advice, afterwards (left hand had partially ceased to respond to commands) and his premises visited the next morning.

ISTR Geelong got a new ring-road a while back. Has that shortened your working day at all?

I actually live and work on the Bellarine, so go anywhere near Geelong on a daily basis. My daily drive is less than 20 minutes each way. Although, where I used to live in Mildura, north Victoria, the drive was 8 mins across town, so 20 mins came quite hard!

I actually live and work on the Bellarine, so go anywhere near Geelong on a daily basis. My daily drive is less than 20 minutes each way. Although, where I used to live in Mildura, north Victoria, the drive was 8 mins across town, so 20 mins came quite hard!

Lovely part of the world in which to live and work. We have a daughter in Grovedale and regularly travel to the Bellarine peninsula when staying with her.

ideally the answer would be space to build the idea thats been growing about my (future) layout. At present from the available options I will go for a change to dcc. Although my idea's are only at the planning stage currently whenever I consider dcc I seem to rule it out due to the initial expense which could be put towards fun purchases like loco's and scenery

• RMweb Gold

ideally the answer would be space to build the idea thats been growing about my (future) layout. At present from the available options I will go for a change to dcc. Although my idea's are only at the planning stage currently whenever I consider dcc I seem to rule it out due to the initial expense which could be put towards fun purchases like loco's and scenery

Of course you aren't wrong - and DCC does cost a bit to implement initially, and adds cost to every subsequent loco - but the benefit in realistic operations, while not readily offering a £ value, needs to be born in mind. It also, without a doubt, simplifies wiring by eliminating all those switches, so there is an "effort benefit" there, too. To misquote a US ad campaign of the '90s "A new loco will improve one train - a new control system will improve the whole layout". Tough choices, sure, but think long-term picture and it becomes easier!

Archived