E.R.T.M.S.

lmsforever

1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi Jo,

1) Yes, the train describer, train detection etc works in exactly the same way as in a colour light system, so an ETCS train will show up on Open Train Times, TVSC screens, staff info screens. This would be the same for a no-signals arrangement (the Cambrian is on Open Train Times if you are interested!)

2) The colour lights are still lit and show the same aspects as they would under conventional signalling, with the movement authority displayed on the DMI would correspond with the signal aspect (i.e., the end of MA on the DMI would be at the same position as a red aspect). The only difference you will see on the lineside signals is that an approach control / release on junction signals or call-on is inhibited (i.e, there wouldn't be any) when a train is approaching in ETCS with a full supervision movement authority.

Simon

Spot on, thank you Simon. I'm sure we're a way off me driving under it yet but good to know how it works when the time comes.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2023 at 10:34, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I believe that the E.T.C.S. Level 2 Overlay between Ealing Broadway and Heathrow Junction (to connect with the existing Level 2 Overlay on the Heathrow Branch) was commissioned over the weekend and is in operation.

Currently this will be extent of E.T.C.S. on Western for a long time.

Simon

Any connection with what was described as 'a signal failure' on the Heathrow branch last Monday?  Or was that down to something else?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Any connection with what was described as 'a signal failure' on the Heathrow branch last Monday?  Or was that down to something else?

Yes, the disruption was all connected, it wasn’t a smooth transition at all. Someone may correct me but I think some of the Class 345s were still installed with an earlier version of the required software. Something like that!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

Yes, the disruption was all connected, it wasn’t a smooth transition at all. Someone may correct me but I think some of the Class 345s were still installed with an earlier version of the required software. Something like that!

Nothing moving to/from the branch in the early part of teh day but when I was on my way home lateish in teh afternoon I saw the unusual sight of a HEXliveried 387 approaching Hayes on the Down Relief so I wonder if it was doing some trsting.  Looked empty but as the 387 I was on was busily zooming along the Down Main it was only a quick sight of the HEX liveried one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

Hi,

We are on the outskirts of information delivery for the project, but there's lots of theories flying about, but I would personally be looking on the train side of things rather than lineside, but don't quote me on, it's an educated guess!

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nothing moving to/from the branch in the early part of teh day but when I was on my way home lateish in teh afternoon I saw the unusual sight of a HEXliveried 387 approaching Hayes on the Down Relief so I wonder if it was doing some trsting.  Looked empty but as the 387 I was on was busily zooming along the Down Main it was only a quick sight of the HEX liveried one.

A work around was quickly found and is either still working or they have resolved the whole thing!

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 10:34, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I believe that the E.T.C.S. Level 2 Overlay between Ealing Broadway and Heathrow Junction (to connect with the existing Level 2 Overlay on the Heathrow Branch) was commissioned over the weekend and is in operation.

Currently this will be extent of E.T.C.S. on Western for a long time.

Simon

as reported online

Over the weekend of 25th/26th November 2023, Alstom, Resonate and Network Rail successfully delivered the first large scale deployment of the European Train Control System (ETCS) Level 2 overlay on a UK main line railway. The team, supported by key partners Synergy Rail and by operators GWR, MTR Elizabeth Line and Heathrow Express, commissioned this system into use on the Great Western Main Line between Heathrow Airport Junction and Acton. The ETCS Level 2 system offers a range of benefits including increased safety, capacity, availability, and operational efficiency. Alstom’s Atlas™ ETCS solution has been deployed, which seamlessly integrates with Alstom’s Smartlock™ interlocking product. Since the commissioning, the project team have been monitoring the performance of the system in service. This deployment is a historic milestone for the UK railway industry and an important stepping stone towards the rollout of ETCS onto many more lines nationwide.

Explainer: What is ETCS Level 2 overlay?

In ETCS Level 2 the train is under the continuous supervision of the Radio Block Centre (RBC). The RBC issues successive movement authority messages over the radio (GSM-R) to the train and these messages progressively update the speed and distance limits within which the train is permitted to travel. The train’s brakes will automatically apply if the train begins to exceed the speed or distance envelope. The RBC is informed by the interlocking which provides safety critical logic. On the railway, the only visible features which indicate that the ETCS Level 2 system has been installed are the small yellow boxes between the rails, known as balises, which ensure that a train’s position is accurately validated and can transmit site specific messages to the train, together with some associated signs. In an overlay, the ETCS Level 2 subsystem and the existing colour light signals can operate side by side. It will be possible to remove most of the colour light signals at a later date after all units of rolling stock working a line of route have been fitted with ETCS on board computers and displays in the driver’s cabs.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice that it has been reported that the Class 197s will not appear on the Cambrian line until winter 2024 owing to compatibility issues with the ERTMS. I thought the Cambrian line had recently been upgraded.

Jonathan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2