Hornby class 50 50008 laira blue

english electric

cheers for that, i didnt even notice it didnt carry them in March when i was riding behind ir. Im looking forward to getting mine as well

To tell you the truth I only just noticed it in the latest edition of Rail Magazine, seems weird they missed them off but at least it shows Hornby are paying attention to these things Now where did I put Valiant and the charter set?

• RMweb Gold

I really like this livery version.

What sort of timeframe did it run in this livery?

I looked at the current price for a class 50 and thought "how much?" and then saw someone trying to sell a Lima version on ebay for best part of £125 so suddenly the Hornby one seems a bargain lol.

Although i seem to remember in the days when Lima was king for rtr diesel that Thunderer could fetch £200-£300.

What sort of timeframe did it run in this livery?

I'm not sure about in preservation, but in BR days Janurary 1991 to November 1991, when it lost the BR arrows.

i seem to remember in the days when Lima was king for rtr diesel that Thunderer could fetch £200-£300.

Wasn't the ex-train set refurbished 50042 the Lima Class 50 holy grail?

To my eyes Hornby's Thunderer looks vaguly ok. Although the numbers and nameplates look too big. I also note the roof radio pods should be black I believe, and the wheels should have white walls.

Interestingly they've left the aformentioned overhead warning flashes off (as is correct for the preserved machine) but not done the chrome dook kick plates (which are clearly visable in Ed's recent photo of the loco, above). Which, I think, makes it a sort of in-service/preserved hybrid. :blink:

The wipers are there under the headcode box.

They're not.

You can see where they're supposed to mount on the actuators, which is the bit under the headcode box, but the arms are missing.

that phot must have been around october last year, since the march gala it had its wipers at both ends.

Got my 50008 today at DRS Kingmoor open day for £90 and im well please with it and now parked up with its partner 50015 hmm reminds me off 1991 :D

Who is going to be first with this line-up.

Laira the week before the open day September 91

post-1161-0-73792100-1311518213_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately not in the line up but just round the corner (as it was still working)

post-1161-0-28930200-1311518211_thumb.jpg

Nice photo of the line up at Laira, I just hope that Hornby produce a D400 in 1991 blue livery to add to the Celebrity vac collection!!

Me too, I have emailed Hornby this weekend to suggest they do D400 and will hopefully get a favourable response (last time I did that they did the livery I requested so fingers crossed).

I would have thought that large logo with black roof would probably be more useful to the vast majority rather than D400. Not that I'd hold my breath on either anyway....

As for the line up photo above, I have the neccesary locos but nowhere to put them at the moment :help:

Who is going to be first with this line-up.

post-1161-0-73792100-1311518213_thumb.jpg

best I can do i'm afriad - (yes D400 would be very usefull :yes: )

post-6893-0-29539100-1311720877_thumb.jpg

always love to see early 90s shots of laira - always handy for my mini-laira:

post-6893-0-02832600-1311720975_thumb.jpg

think my '50' fleet is about 30 now

tfn

jon

As much as I'd love 'Thunderer' - and it is of course perfect for me layout - £90+ is a bit much for me - especially for a model thats going to need a lot of work: Fixing windcreens, rebuilding the nose , opening up exhausts, lowering , new proper size wheels, new side louvres , roof grille etc etc , and thats before correcting any of Hornbys livery errors . I love (real) 50s , but the model itself has to be one of my least favourites to work on - Heres hoping Vitrains do the decent thing ;) , a no frills, accurate model of a 50 , like the 47, with all the nice bits to fit yourself, no silly opening doors or spinny fans . I'd happily pay £90 for that......In the mean time though, hopefully, with a bit of patience and luck Ill find a nice Thunderer at a slightly nicer price somewhere...

tfn

Jon

Jon, you mentioned you currently have about 30 Class 50s, and you're whining about the price tag on the latest one? :unsure: I agree, £90 is allot of money, but after you've already bought so many of them, one more or one less isn't going to change your life now is it?! :lol:

Your lines of 50s are looking great there by the way.

Morning -

I suppose i've gawped at 90 quid because on average I've paid no more than about 75 at the most for my 50s (except the latest Hornby digisound versions) - as they are all going to be reworked/rebuilt/rewheeled and partially resprayed at some point , so I can get away with buying slightly second hand models . I don't really need to pay for 'mint in box' ... For the same sort of reason I bought up the less popular models when they hit the bargain bin , as again , the livery and number isn't really important.

tfn

jon

best I can do i'm afriad - (yes D400 would be very usefull :yes: )

post-6893-0-29539100-1311720877_thumb.jpg

always love to see early 90s shots of laira - always handy for my mini-laira:

post-6893-0-02832600-1311720975_thumb.jpg

think my '50' fleet is about 30 now

tfn

jon

have you got a shot of the 50 at the back without a roof? is it a scrapper or is it a respray job?

Hi - The 50 minus its roof is 50010 Monarch - although ive not finished it yet , by a long way - there is a photo of the body here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/397/entry-5326-jons-class-50-factory/

Theres a pic of the real thing here - where you can just make out the missing roof - at this point its power unit had been removed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil56004/4696244484/

tfn

Jon

Archived