Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Paul,  That is absolutely brilliant, gives a good impression on how the different part connect. Judging by the pictures and videos earlier there is no passenger traffic on the harbour, so I'm guessing that these run behind the harbour layout with a branch somewhere into the harbour. Looking forward to seeing a detailed trackplan!

Thanks so far!

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Paul, That is absolutely brilliant, gives a good impression on how the different part connect. Judging by the pictures and videos earlier there is no passenger traffic on the harbour, so I'm guessing that these run behind the harbour layout with a branch somewhere into the harbour. Looking forward to seeing a detailed trackplan!

Thanks so far!

Ed

The docks are only accessible from the Town station on the right. The passenger line swings round behind and drops down to the lower level appearing again under the laptop into Leaford itself. It then carries on to a hidden yard under the Town Stn. There are additional hidden sidings behind and under the docks that lead into Leaford.

Hi Kevin

The Thumper centre coach looks good, excuse my ignorance, but, why use a CEP chassis and not the suburban coach chassis?

Ian

Hi Ian, the reason that a CEP chassis was used is to maintain electrical continuity for the operating head and tail lamps of the unit, also as a DCC user you only need 1 chip to operate and the Bachmann coupling connections can be used.

Hi Kevin

The Thumper centre coach looks good, excuse my ignorance, but, why use a CEP chassis and not the suburban coach chassis?

Ian

The docks are only accessible from the Town station on the right. The passenger line swings round behind and drops down to the lower level appearing again under the laptop into Leaford itself. It then carries on to a hidden yard under the Town Stn. There are additional hidden sidings behind and under the docks that lead into Leaford.

Many thanks to Paul for his excellent panoramic photo and explanation, maybe a photographic journey on the layout may help to explain the workings of Leaford,

To hidden sidings under Leaford Town is the starting point. These hidden sidings are a typical ladder junction starting from 1 single track  to 7 sidings,

37516 starts off with a heavy steel train.

post-5799-0-06982600-1462961341.jpg

She winds herself out of the yard crosses a level crossing  leading to Websters Engineering.

post-5799-0-76184700-1462961386.jpg

and now enters the oldest part of the Layout Leaford Junction. This was the original exhibition layout, she crosses over a crossover and takes the direct route to

Leaford Town via Leaford Millway Road.

post-5799-0-09146200-1462961425.jpg

post-5799-0-02905300-1462961467.jpg

She disappears under the lap top cunningly made to look like a road bridge  and begins her climb up the ramp towards Millway Road. 

post-5799-0-78362200-1462961507.jpg

post-5799-0-86773900-1462961540.jpg

post-5799-0-21099900-1462961574.jpg

She then rattles through Leaford Millway Road usually with her horn blasting.

post-5799-0-11210200-1462961617.jpg

The driver then applies brakes ready for her stop in Leaford Town Yard. Again a simple ladder junction fanning out into 6 sidings plus a run round loop, a branch forms the junction heading to Leaford Town Station and a small industrial siding.  

post-5799-0-65417900-1462961668.jpg

37516 drifts through the yard and comes to a halt.

post-5799-0-17120000-1462961710.jpg

post-5799-0-72221000-1462961755.jpg

She then uncouples and runs around her train.

post-5799-0-98559700-1462961801.jpg

post-5799-0-84740900-1462961845.jpg

She is now ready for the next part of the journey to Leaford Docks, with horn blaring she heads for the docks complex. (freight only except for specials associated with cruise ship arrivals).

post-5799-0-99374600-1462961991.jpg

and in no time at all she arrives.

post-5799-0-64219500-1462962029.jpg

she carefully picks her way along the dockside and brings her load of steel to a halt.

post-5799-0-43039000-1462962071.jpg

As well as the hidden sidings under Leaford Town their is additional hidden sidings (5) under the docks branch.

post-5799-0-76911500-1462962126.jpg

and a further fiddle road nestles behind the layout with a further 5 sidings (usually reserved for computer controlled passenger workings)

post-5799-0-28358400-1462962179.jpg

Obviously with many hidden sidings and other parts of the layout out of sight, the only way to see what is going is with cameras and a monitor screen. 

post-5799-0-96727900-1462962244.jpg

I would imagine you have dropped off to sleep by now or have moved on to a far more interesting layout.

Thanks for looking, cheerio for now,

Kevin.

Edited by Hampshire Hog
  • Like 19

Hi Kevin

Do you mind if I ask another question regarding that thumper centre coach, could the same coach be used as centre coaches with the Bachmann 2 EPB to produce a 4 EPB?

Ian

Hi Ian, what a good idea, I see no reason why that could not be done, if you are thinking of doing this there is some fettling and filing necessary both to the chassis and coach bodies to make them fit.

I have now painted all three roofs on mine to be the same shade of matt black? and after studying the difference between the Replica Coach and Bachmann it is the tumblehome on the Replica that is slightly more severe (I wonder which one is correct?), the windows are not quite so flush when fitted, and the cantrails and details are not so fine. - and probably 25 years  of course. Best Regards, Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

That is a very interesting set up good to see it like that. It makes for a really interesting layout to operate to from that journey. Somehow reminds me of the old steel workings from Ham goods I remember watching from my school holidays spent down south with family.

All the best

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

That is a very interesting set up good to see it like that. It makes for a really interesting layout to operate to from that journey. Somehow reminds me of the old steel workings from Ham goods I remember watching from my school holidays spent down south with family.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark, I am glad that Leaford rekindled a few memories for you, hopefully the next picture will do the same, the Powell Dufryn wagon featured belongs to my good friend Nigel Crow who called in yesterday, these wagons are on long term loan for which I am grateful, Nigel good to see you.

Best regards,

Kevin.

post-5799-0-94591300-1463909781.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Kevin

Superb work love the layout.

I did a blue grey 3H for a friend using the replica centre coach, but used kadees and hard wired the trailer car with Lenz chip, sound in the motor car.

Keep up the good work

Bob

post-22888-0-71656200-1463912080_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Hi Mark, I am glad that Leaford rekindled a few memories for you, hopefully the next picture will do the same, the Powell Dufryn wagon featured belongs to my good friend Nigel Crow who called in yesterday, these wagons are on long term loan for which I am grateful, Nigel good to see you.

Best regards,

Kevin.

Small 2 23.jpg

Hi Kevin,

That certainly does, very distinctive wagons and Nigel has created an outstanding model. They look the part on the layout too.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Kev

It was great to see you to yesterday.

Mark

Although I own the Powell Dufryn wagons, they were built by Steve Adcock, for his Russell Bridge layout (which graced the exhibition circuit throughout the 1990's). But I do agree that they look very at home on Leaford, especially behind a metals sector class 37. I also have fond memories seeing the combination at Hamworthy and Poole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nigel and I were chatting after he posted that and we reckon it was probably 1993 at the Wimborne show that the above footage was taken! It also means I've known Nigel for over twenty odd years as I was buying buildings off him for our American layout that was also there.

That brings back some memories, I am sure I saw Leaway park a couple of times. Pretty sure Kevin took it to one of our Brockenhurst shows.

Thanks for posting this up Nigel.

Cheers Peter.

That brings back some memories, I am sure I saw Leaway park a couple of times. Pretty sure Kevin took it to one of our Brockenhurst shows.

Thanks for posting this up Nigel.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete, yes we did take it to Brockenhurst but my memory deserts me when it comes to the year!!

And to echo Pete many thanks to Nigel both for the filming originally and along with Paul for bringing back happy days by posting on rmweb now.  

• Like 1

Leaway Park attended the Brockenhurst show in 1990, along with John Deadman's depot layout (I have a little video footage from that year). It was in the early days of Leaway park before the 25kv catenary was installed on the main lines. Kev had some great stock back then, I fondly remember the x2 class 20's hauling dragging the dead 86/87 and the rake of mk3's. He also had a Intercity cross country rake which was hauled by the red striped ScotRail 47 Galloway Princess. There was also a NSE rake of mk2's which also was used for steam specials. Local services were in the hands of a Lima class 117's and 156's. Parcel vans were hauled normally by a BR blue class 33. Kev had the best PW train on the exhibition circuit, very long indeed (loads of Cambrian kits), and there was also a fertiliser train and a rake of 23 Lima PGA's which were normally hauled by double headed class 37's. The beauty of Leaway Park was there was always something moving on the layout which is what made it such a hit and a pleasure to watch on the exhibition circuit. It was also fully signalled with 4 aspect colour signals with feathers (sorry junction indicators as they are called today) and theatre boxes. This gave a good excuse to stop a train on the approach, let another train pass it and then when cleared snake across the points and then into the 4 tracked tunnel on the town end.

This layout was a true classic in every sense, many layouts have tried to repeat the recipe that Kev came up all those years ago.

• Like 1

Hi Pete, yes we did take it to Brockenhurst but my memory deserts me when it comes to the year!!

And to echo Pete many thanks to Nigel both for the filming originally and along with Paul for bringing back happy days by posting on rmweb now.  

Thanks Kevin, My memory of the layout isn't very good to be honest but then I don't remember what I did last week. I am sure I saw it at another show too as I am sure I remember it with the Overhead, and as Nigel mentioned you didn't have the Overhead up at the Brock show. Did you do a show down in the West which was an all D&E show?

I think we took Mossbank and I am sure Somerford was there too. I remember being fairly hungover on the Sunday.

Cheers Peter.

Leaway Park attended the Brockenhurst show in 1990, along with John Deadman's depot layout (I have a little video footage from that year). It was in the early days of Leaway park before the 25kv catenary was installed on the main lines. Kev had some great stock back then, I fondly remember the x2 class 20's hauling dragging the dead 86/87 and the rake of mk3's. He also had a Intercity cross country rake which was hauled by the red striped ScotRail 47 Galloway Princess. There was also a NSE rake of mk2's which also was used for steam specials. Local services were in the hands of a Lima class 117's and 156's. Parcel vans were hauled normally by a BR blue class 33. Kev had the best PW train on the exhibition circuit, very long indeed (loads of Cambrian kits), and there was also a fertiliser train and a rake of 23 Lima PGA's which were normally hauled by double headed class 37's. The beauty of Leaway Park was there was always something moving on the layout which is what made it such a hit and a pleasure to watch on the exhibition circuit. It was also fully signalled with 4 aspect colour signals with feathers (sorry junction indicators as they are called today) and theatre boxes. This gave a good excuse to stop a train on the approach, let another train pass it and then when cleared snake across the points and then into the 4 tracked tunnel on the town end.

This layout was a true classic in every sense, many layouts have tried to repeat the recipe that Kev came up all those years ago.

Thanks Nigel,

I would probably have been helping to operate John's Hollybank unless we had Mossbank up and running by then. As I said to Kevin my memory of the layout at Brockenhurst isn't the best as I was sure it had overhead. I certainly remember some of Kevin's lovely stock the PW train being one of them. As you say a true classic How about another one Kevin.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Kevin, My memory of the layout isn't very good to be honest but then I don't remember what I did last week. I am sure I saw it at another show too as I am sure I remember it with the Overhead, and as Nigel mentioned you didn't have the Overhead up at the Brock show. Did you do a show down in the West which was an all D&E show?

I think we took Mossbank and I am sure Somerford was there too. I remember being fairly hungover on the Sunday.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete, the only exhibition I can recall further west that Leaway Park attended was Weymouth (actually at Portland) but what year or much else about it I cannot remember, I do remember that I enjoyed myself though.

I have been catching up with some jobs I have been meaning to do on Leaford such as finishing of the yard in front of the "Kremlin" building.

post-5799-0-13845600-1464931269.jpg

Best regards.

Kevin.  

• Like 7