Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

The "Auto Barry" I like that. :lol:

Kevin, that front cover brings back fond memories of the original model rail. Exford was an inspiration to me, I always remember the hopper being made out of cereal packets! Why that has stayed with me I will never know... Only ever saw Exford the once and unfortunately never took any pictures.

Happy New Year and I hope someone comes up trumps with the request for photos.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

As Scott said I was impressed and inspired by Exford, particularly when I spent a long time just watching at the Basingstoke Railshow in '85(?), so much so I shamelessly nicked the name for several of my layouts since!;)

Happy New Year and see you soon hopefully.

And I though the 3 night shots were very good until you posted the one in post 372 of the Class 47, just fantastic!!

Are you exhibiting during 2011, as I would love to see this layout in operation?

Paul

Again my thanks to you Paul, we are exhibiting in 2011 - Basingstoke and Wilton (Salisbury)!! not a stones throw from where you are then ;) It would still be good to meet if you could make it.

Class 50 eaks out a living with the Civil Engineer.

post-5799-0-78863800-1293787302_thumb.jpg

My thanks to both Pitbull and Temeraire, which reminds me of the Bocott 3? one of which is pictured below.

post-5799-0-81598000-1293787515_thumb.jpg

And finally a busy time as Class 60 runs around a short freight.

post-5799-0-04550300-1293787581_thumb.jpg

Bye for now

Kevin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin

I see from the latest pics that the engineers haven't got the third rail laid over the holiday period, is this due to the weather conditions or too much food and drink.;) That EPB must be due for delivery soon?

Again my thanks to you Paul, we are exhibiting in 2011 - Basingstoke and Wilton (Salisbury)!! not a stones throw from where you are then ;) It would still be good to meet if you could make it.

Mmm I think that is a pretty big throw for me from... "North Yorkshire" ;) :D

Paul

I've spent a good few days working my way through this layout thread and have to say it's great work. I stumbled across it back in early December, then spotted it on the front cover of Model Rail so quickly tracked it down again. Great work there! I particularly like the night shots - some of them are incredibly realistic.

I've spent a good few days working my way through this layout thread and have to say it's great work. I stumbled across it back in early December, then spotted it on the front cover of Model Rail so quickly tracked it down again. Great work there! I particularly like the night shots - some of them are incredibly realistic.

Thank you Modelling Mike, time for some more pickies.

73212 on a filling in turn after repairs from Eastleigh,

post-5799-0-78560300-1294337098_thumb.jpg

Class 33 places wagons on the depot ready to be unloaded.

post-5799-0-55706100-1294337302_thumb.jpg

Class 73 arrives at Leaford for the first time "on the juice" with a Brighton relief working.

post-5799-0-99119400-1294336963_thumb.jpg

Now where is that Bachmann 2EBP and Hornby VEP?

Regards

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Great pictures B) you have the third rail down ;) as you say bring on the VEP !!!

Just a quick question, is the class 73 effected by the third rail as mine kept rubbing :( have you had to carry out any modification to the 73's?

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Kevin

I just checked back over the previous page of this thread and was very pleased to see a picture of one of my old favourite layouts - Exford.

When I saw Exford in the mag, I was only 13 and aspired to own and run a layout just like that. I can see certain bits of inspiration carried over from Exford into Leaford.

It would be great if you could bring that article to an exhibition when you show Leaford at some point. I want to try and get out and see more exhibitions this year. Would be great to have another look at the article and have a good old chin wag with you about it (and Leaford of course!).

Just one other question, sorry if this has already been pointed out, but I'm interested in your gantry yard crane. Who makes it and what have you done to make it look so effective?

Cheers

Alex

Hi Kevin

I just checked back over the previous page of this thread and was very pleased to see a picture of one of my old favourite layouts - Exford.

When I saw Exford in the mag, I was only 13 and aspired to own and run a layout just like that. I can see certain bits of inspiration carried over from Exford into Leaford.

It would be great if you could bring that article to an exhibition when you show Leaford at some point. I want to try and get out and see more exhibitions this year. Would be great to have another look at the article and have a good old chin wag with you about it (and Leaford of course!).

Just one other question, sorry if this has already been pointed out, but I'm interested in your gantry yard crane. Who makes it and what have you done to make it look so effective?

Cheers

Alex

My thanks to you Alex for your kind words, I look forward to seeing you at Basingstoke and Wilton I will do as you suggest and bring Model Rail issue no 1. to both , as to the gantry crane, it is a 2 Ratio Kits joined and re-built to the width required and then painted with Railmatch Railfreight Grey.

post-5799-0-12282200-1294567045_thumb.jpg

It would appear that the driver of Wilts & Dorset Bristol VR has lost his way to Wimborne - first reports suggest that he got distracted by all this sitting around on top of bridges!!

NSE DAZ wrote,

"Just a quick question, is the class 73 effected by the third rail as mine kept rubbing have you had to carry out any modification to the 73's?"

post-5799-0-02890900-1294567575_thumb.jpg

I just removed the sand pipes moulding off of the bottom of the bogies ,also I left off the little plastic discs supplied when installing the third rail, I was concerned that because of the tight radius stock would ground on it but I have had no problems.

pitbull1845 wrote,

"3rd rail down Kevin, you have been busy. Any chance of some more photos? Do your drivers need training on a class 70??"

I can oblige with a photo Scott, but no volunteers for the training I'm afraid.

post-5799-0-52774600-1294568113_thumb.jpg

PatC wrote,

"Great to see further developments on Leaford Kevin. Fancy a return visit to Romsey in a couple of years time?"

My thanks to you Pat for your kind offer, but it is doubtfull that Leaford will still exist by then, perhaps you would consider its replacement though?

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for the advice with picture a great help, I will give this a go :huh: I also did not use the disc's provided with the rail chairs for the same reason you didn't plus I am using code 75 rail ;)

I must say I love the Wilts & Dorset Bristol VR this is next on my shopping list, is that a EFE edition ?

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Kevin,

I must say I love the Wilts & Dorset Bristol VR this is next on my shopping list, is that a EFE edition ?

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren,

post-5799-0-26221400-1294590594_thumb.jpg

The VR is an EFE edition, but perhaps you would prefer this version also an EFE

post-5799-0-26130600-1294590712_thumb.jpg

Finally Class 47 waits for the shunters after bringing in a rake of BBA's and BAA's.

post-5799-0-03432400-1294591008_thumb.jpg

Cheers now.

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi Kevin, we'd definitely be interested in inviting you back with whatever you've got up your sleeve to replace Leaford. Look forward to hearing more about that, whatever it may be.

I've enjoyed hearing people's memories of Exford, I just can't believe that it was that long ago! I saw it several times at shows and some open days if memory serves me right. In those days before digital cameras I saved my film for pictures of the real thing and never used to take pictures of model railways I'm afraid, so can't help with any images.

Do you have any pictures of Leaway Park? I can still remember joining the crowd for the Duchess hauled steam special that you ran at Imrex one year! Did the building under construction at one end ever get completed?

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, unfortunately I have been layed up for a while with a tummy bug hence my lack of posts.

Pat C wrote

"Do you have any pictures of Leaway Park? I can still remember joining the crowd for the Duchess hauled steam special that you ran at Imrex one year! Did the building under construction at one end ever get completed?

Patrick"

Pat, I do not have any photos of Leaway Park but I do have (courtesey of Nigel Crow) some DVD/Video which I will post as soon as I discover how to:- including I think a steam special, also the building under construction morphed slowly into a fantastic multi-story car park (courtesey of another Nigel this time Nigel Leadbeater).

To be honest the layout was never really finished scenically as I could never really get it how I wanted it to be.

Any way time for a photo

The late afternoon sun reflects of off a NSE Class 50 in the yard.

post-5799-0-37264300-1295366561_thumb.jpg

My thanks for your comments NSEDAZ, here is another picture of another bus.

Southampton Corporation Guy Arab keeps the photographers happy outside Leaford station.

post-5799-0-92494300-1295366721_thumb.jpg

And finally

"Why cant I drive the Forklift"

post-5799-0-25317200-1295366786_thumb.jpg

See you soon

Kevin

• Like 2

Kevin,

It is odd that Leaway Park has been mentioned as I have just been flicking through my 1989 bound set of Railway Modeller which has a 2 page article on Leaway Park!

It looked pretty good but the electrics sounded terrifying - thank god for DCC!

Regards

Jeff

Kevin,

It is odd that Leaway Park has been mentioned as I have just been flicking through my 1989 bound set of Railway Modeller which has a 2 page article on Leaway Park!

It looked pretty good but the electrics sounded terrifying - thank god for DCC!

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I agree the electrics on Leaway Park were bloody terrifying, luckily Paul Rusbridge and not me dealt with all of that as he designed and built it, it worked brilliantly and was very reliable.

Class 73/2 couples up to an empty Eastleigh van transporter train.

post-5799-0-65595800-1295533635_thumb.jpg

P.C.M. wrote,

Latest pics look good, I like your pallets with loads, who does them?

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

post-5799-0-34582600-1295533805_thumb.jpg

All of the pallet loads seen in the above photo are supplied through Ten Commandments including the kegs and bricks(www.cast-in-stone.co.uk) product numbers W144 for the boxes and W173 for the sacks, the pallets themselves are I think Peco.

Cheerio for now.

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for another question regarding the 73, but did you install the Express Models light kit ? this is what I want to do but don't know how much work is involved :huh: my electric skills is not the best :unsure:

Great pictures by the way

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for another question regarding the 73, but did you install the Express Models light kit ? this is what I want to do but don't know how much work is involved :huh: my electric skills is not the best :unsure:

Great pictures by the way

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hello Darren, I have used the Express Models lighting kits and very nice they are to, but as they seem difficult to get hold off, I now make my own using DCC Concepts 2mm tower LED's both the Daylight White and the Bi/Color Amber/Red,

I also used the as supplied resister thingies as described in the instructions, - I get mine from Bromsgrove Models.

2no. 2mm Tower Bi/Color Amber/Red taped together for

Head/Rear headcode marker lights.

post-5799-0-20705800-1295811935_thumb.jpg

2mm Tower Daylight White for the Headlights.

post-5799-0-74772500-1295812028_thumb.jpg

Installation on 73212 not very pretty but it does the job.

post-5799-0-98348200-1295812249_thumb.jpg

Older sister loco 73001 shunts steel ready to be unloaded at Leaford distribution depot.

post-5799-0-40368800-1295812335_thumb.jpg

I hope that all of this helps, I too am not a great electrical bod but it is not that difficult honest!! all that is needed is plenty of patience (and a soldering iron of course).

Cheerio for now.

Kevin.

• Like 2