Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin

Looking forward to driving on the Sunday, will the bullets be given the 'treatment' before next weekend or are they staying ex-works? Im still waiting for my grubby ones, did they come from Hattons as they don't seem to have a pic up yet?

Hi Ian, Its good to hear from you, thanks again for a smashing afternoon last friday, I thoroughly enjoyed myself with your brilliant layout, it was the furthest and the fastest some of my locos have ever been - it has done then some good.

I to am looking forward to Melksham, The Bullits have come from Hattons but pre-ordered - and after reading comments on here I think they have been a great sales success everywhere, they deserve to be - aren,t they good!! It is doubtful that mine will be given the treatment by Melksham, perhaps some might.

Anyway here are a couple of photos, again the 205 Thumper on a late night service.

post-5799-127014045783_thumb.jpg

And the PCV postal set more or less complete.

post-5799-127014057096_thumb.jpg

See you soon and regards.

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Melksham is still looking good for me too, ive got 3 dirty bullets on order from Kernow, not sure if they will arrive in time but if they do I can bring them along.

I'm looking forward to catching up with the gossip and hearing about the Basingstoke session, and of course playing trains.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Kevin,

Melksham is still looking good for me too, ive got 3 dirty bullets on order from Kernow, not sure if they will arrive in time but if they do I can bring them along.

I'm looking forward to catching up with the gossip and hearing about the Basingstoke session, and of course playing trains.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, its good to hear from you, yes it will be good if can you bring your bullets, I am sure you will be impressed when they arrive.

post-5799-127014944824_thumb.jpg

See you soon, Regards

Kevin

• Like 2

This is my first post on this forum and felt i had to write it here due to the effect this model has had for me.

Firstly may i say i'm blown away by the standard of this layout, it's far beyond anything I could ever dream of being able to achieve, It's just amazing. Most of my collection of model railway equipment has been in storage for the last 10 years due to work, but stumbling across this layout about a month ago and then lurking RMweb until today has inspired me to unpack all the old Hornby and Lima bits i've collected over the years. Leaford covers the modern image era (well they were modern when i got them anyway!) that i enjoyed before work took over my life, and has been the main inspiration for me to want to get up into the large loft space in my new home and get the trains running again. So for this i thank you. My girlfriend doesn't.

Secondly, at the bottom of the first page of this thread is picture of a PJA Cartic 4 and i was wondering where you got the model from or whether it was scratchbuilt? Googling 00 gauge PJA Cartic only seems to throw up the Hornby 2 unit offering or your thread!

Right, i'm off to play with XtrkCad to work out what i can fit into a 30' x 9' loft void!

This is my first post on this forum and felt i had to write it here due to the effect this model has had for me.

Firstly may i say i'm blown away by the standard of this layout, it's far beyond anything I could ever dream of being able to achieve, It's just amazing. Most of my collection of model railway equipment has been in storage for the last 10 years due to work, but stumbling across this layout about a month ago and then lurking RMweb until today has inspired me to unpack all the old Hornby and Lima bits i've collected over the years. Leaford covers the modern image era (well they were modern when i got them anyway!) that i enjoyed before work took over my life, and has been the main inspiration for me to want to get up into the large loft space in my new home and get the trains running again. So for this i thank you. My girlfriend doesn't.

Secondly, at the bottom of the first page of this thread is picture of a PJA Cartic 4 and i was wondering where you got the model from or whether it was scratchbuilt? Googling 00 gauge PJA Cartic only seems to throw up the Hornby 2 unit offering or your thread!

Right, i'm off to play with XtrkCad to work out what i can fit into a 30' x 9' loft void!

Hi Satans Goldfish, congratulations on joining the RMweb, as this is your first post may I welcome you to this forum and indeed back to the hobby, thanks for your kind comments and I am pleased that I am in some way responsible for enticing you back - although I am sorry if your girlfriend is not so pleased.

I am very envious of 30' X 9' loft space, and I am sure that you will thoroughly enjoy yourself designing and building a layout for all of that wonderful stock to see the light of day again, I am sure that there are many on this forum who will enjoy giving you advice and ideas if and when you get stuck, myself included if I can.

The PJA Cartic 4 is a Honby cut and shut (the middle sections being cut from from two ends), the vandal screens are net curtaining (don't tell the misses) stretched across an Evergreen styrene square section framework and dates from the early to mid 90's, I hope that you do not mind but here is the picture of it again followed by a few more of Leaford.

post-5799-127030901722_thumb.jpg

Hello Agentskj, In answer to your question "after melksham where is your next show?" I have nothing finalised at the present, I hoping that this will change soon.

Class 56 arrives on a MODA train

post-5799-127030952322_thumb.jpg

Finding myself with a couple of extra hours modelling time this afternoon I thought I would experiment weathering the 'Bullets'

post-5799-127030965621_thumb.jpg

A warm welcome again to Satans Goldfish (wonderful name)- Oh! did I mention Melksham Trainwest 2010 it's next weekend you know.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Satans Goldfish, congratulations on joining the RMweb, as this is your first post may I welcome you to this forum and indeed back to the hobby, thanks for your kind comments and I am pleased that I am in some way responsible for enticing you back - although I am sorry if your girlfriend is not so pleased.

I am very envious of 30' X 9' loft space, and I am sure that you will thoroughly enjoy yourself designing and building a layout for all of that wonderful stock to see the light of day again, I am sure that there are many on this forum who will enjoy giving you advice and ideas if and when you get stuck, myself included if I can.

The PJA Cartic 4 is a Honby cut and shut (the middle sections being cut from from two ends), the vandal screens are net curtaining (don't tell the misses) stretched across an Evergreen styrene square section framework and dates from the early to mid 90's, I hope that you do not mind but here is the picture of it again followed by a few more of Leaford.

post-5799-127030901722_thumb.jpg

Hello Agentskj, In answer to your question "after melksham where is your next show?" I have nothing finalised at the present, I hoping that this will change soon.

Class 56 arrives on a MODA train

post-5799-127030952322_thumb.jpg

Finding myself with a couple of extra hours modelling time this afternoon I thought I would experiment weathering the 'Bullets'

post-5799-127030965621_thumb.jpg

A warm welcome again to Satans Goldfish (wonderful name)- Oh! did I mention Melksham Trainwest 2010 it's next weekend you know.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for the response and kind words. I was already trying to work out in my head how i could chop 2 Hornby cartics together if yours was scratch built, looks like was half way there already! Must be time to go to ebay. I've already ruined one net curtain since moving in so hopefully she won't notice if another goes missingwink.gif Always had a soft spot for PJA 4's but never seen a good model before, must be because of the length, and the orange ones from Hornby always looked very chunky and plasticy to me. If my efforts turn out half as good as yours then i'll be happy.

Hopefully one day i'll get to see Leaford at a show and have a good catch up on what's out there now (when did digital control become so popular?!?!?!) Until then i'll start getting some boards up in the loft and not run the risk of hi-jacking your thread anymore. Thanks again.

Hopefully one day i'll get to see Leaford at a show and have a good catch up on what's out there now (when did digital control become so popular?!?!?!) Until then i'll start getting some boards up in the loft and not run the risk of hi-jacking your thread anymore. Thanks again.

Hello again Satans Goldfish, yes It would be good to meet at some stage in the future, I obviously cannot speak for others but the reason I became involved in DCC, was whilst on a family visit to a good railway friend of mine in Dorset he had layed out a circuit of track on his lounge floor that was powered by a Bachmann E-Z controller, he placed a class 37 on the track pushed a few buttons and wow! it spluttered into life - sounding just as the real ones sounded on our regular visits to Newport, Reading and the like, well that was me hooked, line and sinker - at the time Leaford was DC controlled with section switches etc, it is now fully DCC controlled including the points and signals and all of the locos, units, etc. seen on the layout are fitted with lights and sound, it just to my mind adds to all of the realism I can remenber of the real thing.

I am sorry I am wafling on, please do not worry about hi-jacking the thread, you are most welcome, I will take some more pictures of the Cartic 4 if it will help you with yours.

Here is another picture: a class 47 at the rear of the postal.

post-5799-127038857575_thumb.jpg

My regards.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hello again Satans Goldfish, yes It would be good to meet at some stage in the future, I obviously cannot speak for others but the reason I became involved in DCC, was whilst on a family visit to a good railway friend of mine in Dorset he had layed out a circuit of track on his lounge floor that was powered by a Bachmann E-Z controller, he placed a class 37 on the track pushed a few buttons and wow! it spluttered into life - sounding just as the real ones sounded on our regular visits to Newport, Reading and the like, well that was me hooked, line and sinker - at the time Leaford was DC controlled with section switches etc, it is now fully DCC controlled including the points and signals and all of the locos, units, etc. seen on the layout are fitted with lights and sound, it just to my mind adds to all of the realism I can remenber of the real thing.

I am sorry I am wafling on, please do not worry about hi-jacking the thread, you are most welcome, I will take some more pictures of the Cartic 4 if it will help you with yours.

Here is another picture: a class 47 at the rear of the postal.

post-5799-127038857575_thumb.jpg

My regards.

Kevin.

I work as an electronic engineer (this site may not be the best place to admit that, but oh well) and one of the things i always used to enjoy was working out how to run all the wiring, hook the relays together, get signals working automatically to what the turnouts were set to, etc, and a nice big old fasioned style panel with individual switches and dials on with an associated rack full of of relays............Digital might take some of the fun away on that front for me but does look a good with lights always lit and watched some of the youtube videos linked from here and the sound is amazing. Is there any Leaford videos or did i miss them? Might try digital on the LGB in the garden one day when funds allow but think i'll stick to DC in the loftbiggrin.gif

Pics with the middle sections of the Cartics would be useful if it's not too much to ask to see how you've proportioned them. Got some details and side pictures and drawings off the internet, the frame dimensions of the center 2 parts looks fractionally different to the outer parts that Hornby makes just to add to the fun. I think each model unit of 4 is going to be about 800mm long (prototype is 200feet, 4mm to 1ft=800mm.) But I don't have/haven't worked out the actual measurements for the individual center and end units yet and don't really trust the spacing between Hornby's 'ends' to be accurate enough to the prototype for me to work it out from the overall length given in their 1990 catalogue! Is 800mm how long yours ended up? I'm watching a couple on ebay right now trying to get the bravery up to buy to start on my first proper piece of modeling in a decade to pass the time as i'm laid up after an op at the moment and want to build 3 of these units eventually! I'm wafling now, thanks again for the help.

I work as an electronic engineer (this site may not be the best place to admit that, but oh well) and one of the things i always used to enjoy was working out how to run all the wiring, hook the relays together, get signals working automatically to what the turnouts were set to, etc, and a nice big old fasioned style panel with individual switches and dials on with an associated rack full of of relays............Digital might take some of the fun away on that front for me but does look a good with lights always lit and watched some of the youtube videos linked from here and the sound is amazing. Is there any Leaford videos or did i miss them? Might try digital on the LGB in the garden one day when funds allow but think i'll stick to DC in the loftbiggrin.gif

I have the same thing but i have got it so that my layout the dcc controls the locos but good old dc fdoes points and signals because i like to drive the train but also be the sinelman aswell it works pretty well and ofcourse with dcc section switches are a thing of the past excelent news so my panel controls points and signels and gives indication at a glance of which way points are

Sam

Hi guys,

Satan Said:

"I work as an electronic engineer (this site may not be the best place to admit that, but oh well) and one of the things i always used to enjoy was working out how to run all the wiring, hook the relays together, get signals working automatically to what the turnouts were set to, etc, and a nice big old fasioned style panel with individual switches and dials on with an associated rack full of of relays......"

Believe me satan, with DCC signal automation and the like is still not easy, unless you go to some sort of softwear package (which means hooking up to a confusor of some kind, which is fine on large layouts) simple automation is not easy with DCC, I can clear signals but I also have to cancel them and I would love to have the trains cancel them for me.

Agenskj said:

"I have the same thing but i have got it so that my layout the dcc controls the locos but good old dc fdoes points and signals because i like to drive the train but also be the sinelman aswell it works pretty well and ofcourse with dcc section switches are a thing of the past excelent news so my panel controls points and signels and gives indication at a glance of which way points are"

With my DCC system I still have to set signals and points and indeed drive the trains (with sound equipped trains even more so) the only diference is that I do it from a hand held controller which I can plug and unplug at various points around the layout, - I am not suggesting that this is a better way, it is just a way that I prefer.

Satan said:

" Pics with the middle sections of the Cartics would be useful if it's not too much to ask to see how you've proportioned them. Got some details and side pictures and drawings off the internet, the frame dimensions of the center 2 parts looks fractionally different to the outer parts that Hornby makes just to add to the fun. I think each model unit of 4 is going to be about 800mm long (prototype is 200feet, 4mm to 1ft=800mm.) But I don't have/haven't worked out the actual measurements for the individual center and end units yet and don't really trust the spacing between Hornby's 'ends' to be accurate enough to the prototype for me to work it out from the overall length given in their 1990 catalogue! Is 800mm how long yours ended up? I'm watching a couple on ebay right now trying to get the bravery up to buy to start on my first proper piece of modeling in a decade to pass the time as i'm laid up after an op at the moment and want to build 3 of these units eventually! I'm wafling now, thanks again for the help".

You have calculated the overall scale length of a Cartic 4 is 800mm unfortunately mine finished up at 795mm? whoops!! The standard Hornby Cartic 2! is 222mm including buffers and pivot point, By my calculations the centre sections will have to be 175mm across the pivot points each, which means that 87.5mm lengths (90mm to allow for fettling)will have to be cut from the end of each Hornby wagon and then joined together, mind you looking at what I finished up with you may not like to trust my calculations?, here are some piccys.

post-5799-127045838328_thumb.jpg post-5799-127045842744_thumb.jpg

post-5799-127045845441_thumb.jpg post-5799-127045852638_thumb.jpg

Satan I hope that you are feeling better and that you will be up and about soon - go on buy those on Ebay you know you want to, As for Videos of Leaford, there are some on the way, watch this space.

regards.

Kevin.

• Like 1

That's champion thank you Kevin, a wonderful piece of modelling. Looking at the pictures i think i'd come up with same plan as you've built so that's good. Just missed out on buying my first one last night which is not so good!

A link to the site i got most of my info and side drawings from if you're interested:

http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_014.php

Hi guys, just a reminder for Trainwest 2010 at Melksham (The Christie Miller Sports Centre, Lancaster Way, Melksham, SN12 6QU) this weekend, a fantastic line up of layouts and trade stands as usual and Leaford is pleased to be amongst them, If you are planning on coming, please call by and say hello.

I just as well put some photos up now I'm here, everything seems to be waiting:

37410 waits for its train of VGAs conveying military supplies to be unloaded.

post-5799-127074458085_thumb.jpg

Relatively new Class 159 unit waits for time and its return to London Waterloo.

post-5799-127074467228_thumb.jpg

Preserved Bristol RELH Royal Blue coach waits for passengers whilst working the the shuttle service to the local model railway exhibition.

post-5799-127074487318_thumb.jpg

Look forward to seeing you over the weekend

My regards.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Good show at the weekend Kevin. My other half thought yours was one of the best...praise indeed!

Many thanks for those kind comments Benbow, perhaps we could arrange a meet at sometime as we both share the same neighbourhood, I totally agree that it was a good show at the weekend, I for one thoroughly enjoyed myself and I believe my partners in crime did so as well.

'Leaford' is now safely back in its natural habitat non the worse for its trip to Melksham, the only damage being one wagon deciding to fall onto the floor, nothing that is not repairable.

May I thank Geoff Endacott and the rest of the organisers of Trainwest 2010 for a smashing weekend, that fine band of men known as the 'Leaford on the road crew' (Barry, Pitbull1849 aka Scott and Temeraire aka Ian) for all of their hard work, and finally all of the people who dropped by to visit the layout, many thanks for your interest and it is appreciated.

and as usual a couple of piccys:

A shot not often seen as it can only be viewed at exhibitions, being against the wall at home.

post-5799-127116226277_thumb.jpg

And Class 56 56073 places some household coal carried in HEA wagons on the depot, ready for unloading.

post-5799-127116238326_thumb.jpg

My best regards

Kevin

• Like 2

Nice to finally see your layout "in the flesh"

I like you also enjoyed the show.

Greetings from both operators on Bedlam Heath (myself and George )

Nobby (John)

Whoops!! sorry about the pictures above, I dont know what happened there I loaded them the same way as usual?, anyway I have discovered that if you double click on them they appear as they should.

Hi Nobby (John), it was good to meet yourself and George over the weekend and Bedlam Heath looked excellent as always, personally I find the meeting and greeting at exhibitions one of the biggest attractions, hopefully we will bump into one another again one day.

Hi Benbow (Roger) I will attempt to PM you, if you get a message you know I have been successful.

My best regards.

Kevin.

It's a known issue with the new software.

More pics of your parcels stock please, especially the PCV smile.gif

Did you use the Hurst conversion parts for it? I'd considered a Replica version but they seem to command a high price. If possible, is there any chance of a shot showing the internal lighting setup?

Did you use the Hurst conversion parts for it? I'd considered a Replica version but they seem to command a high price. If possible, is there any chance of a shot showing the internal lighting setup?

No the PCVs were converted from some old Lima Mk1 BGs (if I remember correctly they were the great western ones with that 'orrible cream colour) An Express Models Class 121 with headlight forms the basis of the lighting set up at one end of the unit only (in reality only the bi-colour and bright headlight LEDs being used).

Because of the space constraints between the headlight and marker light on what would be the offside if it were a car, a 2mm dia fibre optic was used for the headlight with the actual LED being inboard out of the way about 180mm along the inside, a TCS T1 chip makes it all work with pick ups being provided on both bogie wheels to provide the power, The ViTrains 47 at t'other end is bog standard apart from the lights being disconnected on the inward end and the rear red marker lights improved, again with Express Models LEDs.

The two Super BGs are standard issue Bachmann.

Some pictures below:

post-5799-127133293088_thumb.jpg post-5799-127133295981_thumb.jpg

I cant make a post on here without another couple of photos:

A class 33/1 makes ready to run round its parcels train.

post-5799-127133302926_thumb.jpg

And a Class 73/0 shunts some more BDAs with steel rod.

post-5799-12713331342_thumb.jpg

Many thanks and my regards.

Kevin.

• Like 3

I cant make a post on here without another couple of photos:

A class 33/1 makes ready to run round its parcels train.

post-5799-127133302926_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

hello

Great layout, cracking pictures

Can I ask where you get the rear lights from please.

Thanks

Ants

Hi guys, again sorry about the pictures above - Ragtag said "It's a known issue with the new software", I am wondering if there is something I can do when posting to help the situation?.

Waverley West said:

"Interesting to see how you made those pickups, Kevin. One day, I'll get round to fitting lights in my coaches (and DBSOs), so that idea might come in handy. Thanks!"

Thanks for that Dave, they may not be very pretty but they do work, I was going to post a photo of another example of where I had used copper clad paxolin sleepers on the 205 Thumper, but perhaps I had better not at the moment.

ants asked?

"Can I ask where you get the rear lights from please?"

As far as I am aware there are two manufacturers of modern rear tail lamps Springside Models (I always get mine from Mainly Trains) and Replica (Available from Railwayania in Swindon) I hope that this helps.

Thanks and regards.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I don't think there was anything you could do, but the problem seems to be sorted now anyway. Many thanks for the detailed pics, especially the pickups, certainly food for thought when I get round to doing mine. I've told myself to fight the urge to start now, though, and finish off some of the other things sitting on my workbench first - we'll see how long I hold out ;).

Have you done any TPO stock, or some of the more unusual vans? I've been tempted by some of the kits on the DC Kits site.

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Kevin,

I don't think there was anything you could do, but the problem seems to be sorted now anyway. Many thanks for the detailed pics, especially the pickups, certainly food for thought when I get round to doing mine. I've told myself to fight the urge to start now, though, and finish off some of the other things sitting on my workbench first - we'll see how long I hold out ;).

Have you done any TPO stock, or some of the more unusual vans? I've been tempted by some of the kits on the DC Kits site.

Cheers,

Stu

Hello Ragtag (Stu), I know the problem about keeping starting stuff afresh, It has only taken me 15 years to complete the PCV, I havn't done any TPOs as yet but I did borrow some Southern Pride ones at a Kidderminster exhibition many years ago with Leaway Park and very nice they were too, I am not sure I would be able to justify some on Leaford, I will post some pictures of some Replica BGs I have been playing with recently.

Any way talking of pictures I will try again with some, I did mention earlier I would post some of the 205 thumper paxolin pick ups so here goes I will keep my fingers crossed!!

post-5799-127143135955.jpg post-5799-127143139713.jpg

And a general picture across the layout.

post-5799-127143144619.jpg

Regards for now.

Kevin.

• Like 2