Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

• RMweb Gold

Hi there is that a oo gauge afv432? if so were did you get it from?

i have had many many hours of fun dring a 43 around canada/germany/poland etc i would like a few of them?

http://www.gramodels...uk/4mm_kits.php

or Cromwell Models in Glasgow but you'll have to email them or write to them as there website is no longer active.

Only modern vehicle they do in 4mm but a very common one. wink.gif

Kevin,

Hope you don't mind me posting a picture on your thread ....

I have to thank you for posting your weathering guide as I finally plucked up the courage to have a go at weathering some of my stock. As recommended by you I started on a wagon and had a go.

I ended up weathering 4 Heljan Cargowaggons and I am really pleased with the results.

post-7486-12689494251_thumb.jpg

I have never weathered stock before and I will now look at weathering more of it.

Once again many thanks.

Jeff

• Like 2

Kevin,

Hope you don't mind me posting a picture on your thread ....

I have to thank you for posting your weathering guide as I finally plucked up the courage to have a go at weathering some of my stock. As recommended by you I started on a wagon and had a go.

I ended up weathering 4 Heljan Cargowaggons and I am really pleased with the results.

post-7486-12689494251_thumb.jpg

I have never weathered stock before and I will now look at weathering more of it.

Once again many thanks.

Jeff

You are welcome Jeff, The Cargowaggons look great, I look forward to seeing more.

Regards Kevin.

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the weathering guide, really good :D I hope to have a go on some of my VAA and VEA stock soon.

Seeing the first time weathering results from D9JEF, my confidence has really been boosted in to having a go, so thanks for the photos D9JEF.

Paul

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the weathering guide, really good :D I hope to have a go on some of my VAA and VEA stock soon.

Seeing the first time weathering results from D9JEF, my confidence has really been boosted in to having a go, so thanks for the photos D9JEF.

Paul

Hi guys, I am sure that after your first few attempts your confidence will grow and then you will wanting to weather everything!

Anyway some more pics, the first one is of one of my favourite locos Heljan 33/2 33 212, for some unknown reason it never seems to get used very much?

post-5799-126910203648_thumb.jpg

A Class 47 places a wagon in just the right place for unloading.

post-5799-126910210382_thumb.jpg

It is getting late into the evening and a gathering of people are waiting for the last train to London.

post-5799-12691022493_thumb.jpg

I must go Tescos have just arrived,

My regards

Kevin

• Like 5

Three great photos there Kevin and the atmosphere in the last one is superb, it is almost as if there is a bit of late night dampness in the air with the signals reflecting of the platform and the shed side, very good.

Apart for the major trip hazard across the platform, you would almost be forgiven in to thinking this was 12" to the foot scale. ;)

I have to agree, the pictures do look good, lets hope the 33 makes an appearance at Melksham.

Cheers

Scott

Hi guys, yes the 33/2 will be doing its bit at Melksham, you know its only three weeks away now.

Jaggzuk wrote

"Apart for the major trip hazard across the platform, you would almost be forgiven in to thinking this was 12" to the foot scale".

Yes, it is a good job we dont have baseboard joins in the real world is'nt it, but I dont know though - some of the potholes we have around here, it does make you wonder.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Another photo, Class 31 on Fertiliser (well it is Hampshire)

post-5799-126910791729_thumb.jpg

See you soon.

Regards Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

I like the last lot of pics,cool.gif Must admit that 33's are one of my favorites, and that Slim Jim looks great.

Here is a pic of 33212 storming through Brockenhurst on a troop train.

Cheers Peter

post-7022-126912892098_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

I like the last lot of pics,cool.gif Must admit that 33's are one of my favorites, and that Slim Jim looks great.

Here is a pic of 33212 storming through Brockenhurst on a troop train.

Cheers Peter

What a smashing picture, 33212 is one of my favourites, because I managed to get a cab ride from Poole to Basing on her (you wont tell anybody will you?)on a crisp frosty January morning (the noise she made was fantastic), and I know I could be wrong but it looks to me like your picture was taken on just such a morning, thanks very much for posting it Peter.

PS. I dont suppose that you have many frosts in Oz?

With risk of boring you all - and being encouraged by Jaggzuks (Pauls) comments here's another night time shot.

Preserved Hants and Dorset Bristol FS attracts attention as it arrives early to work the model railway exhibition shuttle service, And the old station building waits for refurb to start.

post-5799-126915511305_thumb.jpg

And just one more shot of 33212, taken from the security camera by the road bridge.

post-5799-126915521074_thumb.jpg

My thanks and regards.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Another photo, Class 31 on Fertiliser (well it is Hampshire)

post-5799-126910791729_thumb.jpg

and also re the shot of the Procor Fertiliser wagons in post 129

Hi Kevin

Can you let me know who your Procor Fertiliser wagons are made by, are they RTR ones? It is just that I can not find this UKF/Procor branded one on sale, well at least with Procor on which is the one I am after.

Any help much appreciated

Paul

Hi Kevin,

Just caught up on the latest developments on your thread. Absolutely superb. Looking through the photos, it's quite clear your modelling and photography skills just seem to keep on getting better. I love the night shot above in particular (the one just before Tesco's arrived!). It's so atmospheric. I had to look twice to make sure it was a model pic.

Great stuff. Keep sharing, please!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

and also re the shot of the Procor Fertiliser wagons in post 129

Hi Kevin

Can you let me know who your Procor Fertiliser wagons are made by, are they RTR ones? It is just that I can not find this UKF/Procor branded one on sale, well at least with Procor on which is the one I am after.

Any help much appreciated

Paul

Hi guys, Jaggzug the Procor Fertiliser wagons are the original Lima ones dating from the mid-eighties, apart from the monster couplings and horrendous gap between wagons and the wrong bogies they were'nt bad - I have permanently coupled mine in rakes of three with Bachmann couplings on each end, I have lived with the wrong bogies all of this time - I suppose I will get round to changing them one day! Perhaps you could get some of off Ebay?

post-5799-126932394841_thumb.jpg

Waverley West wrote,

"Just caught up on the latest developments on your thread. Absolutely superb. Looking through the photos, it's quite clear your modelling and photography skills just seem to keep on getting better. I love the night shot above in particular (the one just before Tesco's arrived!). It's so atmospheric. I had to look twice to make sure it was a model pic".

Hello Waverley West (Dave), flattery will get you everywhere, looking through your thread your own skills are not so bad.

Scottish 37/4 arrives at Leaford with a short freight.

post-5799-12693244346_thumb.jpg

My regards.

Kevin

• Like 2

What a smashing picture, 33212 is one of my favourites, because I managed to get a cab ride from Poole to Basing on her (you wont tell anybody will you?)on a crisp frosty January morning (the noise she made was fantastic), and I know I could be wrong but it looks to me like your picture was taken on just such a morning, thanks very much for posting it Peter.

PS. I dont suppose that you have many frosts in Oz?

With risk of boring you all - and being encouraged by Jaggzuks (Pauls) comments here's another night time shot.

Preserved Hants and Dorset Bristol FS attracts attention as it arrives early to work the model railway exhibition shuttle service, And the old station building waits for refurb to start.

post-5799-126915511305_thumb.jpg

And just one more shot of 33212, taken from the security camera by the road bridge.

post-5799-126915521074_thumb.jpg

My thanks and regards.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

I have had a look for the date of the pic but can't find it, I would have been about 1985. It was quite unusual to a Slim down our way though 33208 worked interegionals for a couple of days during May 85. We were more used to seeing the Pushers.

As for frost we do get a bit, but nothing like over there it's normally gone by 8 O'clock. Northern parts of Victoria get it pretty bad though.

Keep the pics coming not bored yet.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Have to say Kevin that I am loving the UKF Fertiliser wagons, just how I remember them! biggrin.gif

The UKF fertiliser working used to be my local freight trip with 31s, 37s and 47s on it. After school on a Monday we used to go down and see what was working it. Now that was a long time ago…..Towards the end it used to consist of ten to twelve OCAs.

Great weathering! cool.gif

Have to say Kevin that I am loving the UKF Fertiliser wagons, just how I remember them! biggrin.gif

The UKF fertiliser working used to be my local freight trip with 31s, 37s and 47s on it. After school on a Monday we used to go down and see what was working it. Now that was a long time ago…..Towards the end it used to consist of ten to twelve OCAs.

Hi guys, Hello Grimley, thanks for your comments, we to used to have a UKF warehouse (the building is still there, and still being used for haulage and storage, but nothing appears to come by rail anymore) but if my memory serves me well the train always appeared to have class 47 haulage (I am sure 47365 was on it one day) but as you rightly say that was along time ago.

Heres another piccy I hope that you do not mind.

post-5799-126942699792_thumb.jpg

Floydeeeee wrote,

"hey, just like to add fantastic layout! I see the shed is a pikestuff building, but what are the low relief warehouse building on the back scence?"

Your comments are most welcome Floydeeeee thank you, the low relief buildings are mostly modified Pikestuff again as below.

post-5799-126942728171_thumb.jpg

and others are scratch built out of Wills materials packs SSMP 225 Box Profile for the walls and SSMP 219 Corrugated Asbestos for the roofs with bits and pieces of thin MDF and plastic offcuts for the Gutters. (Bye the way Evergreen StripStyrene Item NO.243 .100" or 2.5mm Half Round makes excellent guttering) I hope that this of use?

post-5799-126942783303_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Kevin.

• Like 3

Kevin,

I have been looking through your thread again. I am interested in your cassette system for storing extra stock. Is there a chance that you can take some pictures of how it is constructed as I am thinking of adding something similar to Buxstone?

Many thanks

Jeff

Kevin,

I have been looking through your thread again. I am interested in your cassette system for storing extra stock. Is there a chance that you can take some pictures of how it is constructed as I am thinking of adding something similar to Buxstone?

Many thanks

Jeff

Hi guys, I am sorry there has not been many posts recently but I have been busy with work, Hello D9Jef thanks for the question of how the cassette system is constructed? With your permission I thought I would do this guide:-

This guide is intended for 00 gauge.

2" X 1" (50mm X 25mm) PAR Softwood was cut into 6no 24" (610mm) lengths and then starting from one end 3/8" (10mm) dia holes were drilled at equal intervals of 3" (75mm) along the centre line (these holes will need to drilled at a slight angle along the centre line leaning towards the start end), Then 3/8" (10mm) dowling should then be cut into 3 ½ " (90mm) lengths and then glued into the holes drilled above (tap them in with a hammer if necessary). Please Note: a dust mask will be necessary when cutting and drilling softwoods.

Once completed these will then have to be bolted to your base boards at the appropriate position to allow for the chosen length of your cassettes and the size of your layout with two bolts to prevent them from spinning.

post-5799-126962884312_thumb.jpg

The cassettes are made from ½†(12.5mm) aluminium angle Evo-stuck onto 4" (100mm) wide strips of 3mm MDF making sure that the gauge is kept constant (13mm) along the length (also the Health & Safety implications of Evo - Stick Contact adhesive are not to be sniffed at? Seriously a well ventilated area is an absolute must when using this stuff, definitely no smoking and a dust mask will be necessary when cutting and drilling softwoods and especially MDF. Always follow the manufacturers instructions.

post-5799-126962899827_thumb.jpg

To access the cassettes onto your layout you will need a dead end of track with sufficient room to fit your longest cassette into position, position two ¾" (20mm) brass screws either side of the track about ¼" (6mm) away from the dead end - screwing them in but - leaving approx ¼" (6mm) of the screws standing prominent of the baseboard (also leave enough space either side of the track to allow sufficient clearance for rolling stock), - then solder an 1" (25mm) length of rail to these screws - placing paper and or card packing in front of the dead end of track - you can then pack up the cassette until it is a nice sliding tight fit under the 1" (25mm) lengths of soldered track - when working nicely glue paper packing into position - you should now be able to slide your cassette under the soldered lengths of rail, line it up for transference of stock, and it will hold itself in position.

post-5799-126962928325_thumb.jpg

post-5799-126962931894_thumb.jpg

The cassette system on Leaford has been well worth the cost and the effort of its construction, it enables me to have over 40 trains (ok some are short ones) available with relatively easy access, It is also possible to store cassettes not only on the racks but on the inside of the layouts support trestles.

post-5799-126962939648_thumb.jpg

I hope that you find this guide useful, and also a big thank you to Temeraire for a great afternoon.

My regards Kevin.

• Like 3

Hi guys, just a reminder for the Melksham show, just over a week away. Leaford is proud to be amongst such distinguished company.

An early morning shot of a Class 205 Thumper waiting to enter the platform road for a service to Salisbury.

post-5799-127010894575_thumb.jpg

The Dapol Silver Bullets are here and well worth the wait, thanks Dapol.

post-5799-127010910086_thumb.jpg

and here is one for Pitbull

post-5799-12701087871_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Kevin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin

Looking forward to driving on the Sunday, will the bullets be given the 'treatment' before next weekend or are they staying ex-works? Im still waiting for my grubby ones, did they come from Hattons as they don't seem to have a pic up yet?