Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

If the market is so crowded, explain to me please (or better explain to the traders) why so many Ebay sellers will only sell to the UK and will not consider selling to France - even though I am happy to pay the additional postage charges.  Ditto for the independent sellers on Amazon.  It has taken six months or so for one particular book to appear second hand with a seller who would mail to France while several copies still reside with sellers who will only sell to the UK (unless these sellers have multiple copies).   

One last post on this...then PLEASE let's get back to bargains.

I sell on eBay but will NEVER EVER post to outside of UK.

If I send by non-signed for service, so many overseas buyers have claimed not to have received the item, so I lose my money and the item.

But the cost of selling small/medium items to overseas by signed-for services is stupid money, and potential buyers just think I am making it up when quoting the cost.

Also, if the buyer has an 'issue' the seller has to pay for out and return postage, which is therefore double stupid money.

RESULT? Don't offer postage to overseas buyers, cuz it just ain't worth it.

There are many UK buyers anyway, who outnumber the overseas potential buyers many times over.

Shame, I do feel for the non UK buyers.

Now then, where are those bargains?

• RMweb Gold

If the market is so crowded, explain to me please (or better explain to the traders) why so many Ebay sellers will only sell to the UK and will not consider selling to France - even though I am happy to pay the additional postage charges. Ditto for the independent sellers on Amazon. It has taken six months or so for one particular book to appear second hand with a seller who would mail to France while several copies still reside with sellers who will only sell to the UK (unless these sellers have multiple copies).

To save this thread for bargains I've posted my comment to the ebay " shafted" thread,

Which gives you an idea UK sellers won't go international.

Indeed I think many UK sellers have left ebay completely in the last year.

Discussion here..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109982-shafted/?p=2291156

• RMweb Gold

Along with all the other Hornby reductions, this is the first time I've seen the J50 at £59.50 + p/p from Rails of Sheffield. (Hattons still £74ish). One less at Rails of course.

few more listings on the Dapol site

O gauge 5 plank wagon at £22

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=489

​also available in dapols attempt at weathering

And the former collectors club terrier at £199, a saving of 0% according to website!

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2140

N gauge weathered maroon western, 38XX and a few OO wagons too

One last post on this...then PLEASE let's get back to bargains.

I sell on eBay but will NEVER EVER post to outside of UK.

If I send by non-signed for service, so many overseas buyers have claimed not to have received the item, so I lose my money and the item.

But the cost of selling small/medium items to overseas by signed-for services is stupid money, and potential buyers just think I am making it up when quoting the cost.

Also, if the buyer has an 'issue' the seller has to pay for out and return postage, which is therefore double stupid money.

RESULT? Don't offer postage to overseas buyers, cuz it just ain't worth it.

There are many UK buyers anyway, who outnumber the overseas potential buyers many times over.

Shame, I do feel for the non UK buyers.

Now then, where are those bargains?

To circumnavigate this, I get stuff sent to my mum's place in the UK and she sends it on to me in Canada.

Never lost a parcel yet and I am into triple figures.

Go figure.....

To circumnavigate this, I get stuff sent to my mum's place in the UK and she sends it on to me in Canada.

Never lost a parcel yet and I am into triple figures.

Go figure.....

EXACTLY!!!!!!

The international postal system is perfect....it's the untrustworthy and devious buyers that let you down.....

EXACTLY!!!!!!

The international postal system is perfect....it's the untrustworthy and devious buyers that let you down.....

Have had a parcel from Amazon fail to show and also one from ABS/Fourmost , but going by the lack of communication I am not totally convinced he ever sent it.

Along with all the other Hornby reductions, this is the first time I've seen the J50 at £59.50 + p/p from Rails of Sheffield. (Hattons still £74ish). One less at Rails of course.

I have absolutely no reason to buy one, so why did I?

One more off their books :)

More stuff has appeared on Rails offer list, including the very recently released heavy tanks R3462, R3463, R3464. If these have been reduced form £125 to £90 and£135 to £100 within 1 month of coming to the shops, they won't be able to give them away in another couple of months!

• RMweb Gold

More stuff has appeared on Rails offer list, including the very recently released heavy tanks R3462, R3463, R3464. If these have been reduced form £125 to £90 and£135 to £100 within 1 month of coming to the shops, they won't be able to give them away in another couple of months!

Flippin' heck. I thought R3303 weathered BR D16 was good at £79 when I bought one. It's now £69.50

since several years now....

Thanks daveymills - can't believe it. How many times have I looked at that site over the last 5 years and never seen those links? Time to feel very small...  :O

On a different note - again Rails amazes. A Bachmann sector 47 for £60 and the new Hornby FGW 08 for £90, down from £120. I wonder if the new blue 08 will be similarly treated in time?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks daveymills - can't believe it. How many times have I looked at that site over the last 5 years and never seen those links? Time to feel very small...  :O

Don't feel too bad, I've browsed the Bargains section on eHattons many times and only stumbled on the "by manufacturer" pages you linked to for the first time last week. I normally click into the subsections (steam, wagons etc) rather than the main headings.

Hi

Hatton's must be inundated with orders from the sale they are having, as I ordered a 2P last Friday morning and only today got an email saying that my order has been packed. 

So I think they have sold a lot of models since last week as normally would have got to me in a day or so. 

The Works have two railway books in stock at the moment - both authored by Julian Holland.

Exploring Britains Lost Railways - 300 pages  and covers 50 lost lines      RRP £14.99 sale price £4 

World Railway Journeys  - 304 pages and covers 50 journeys.       RRP £14.99 sale price £4.

Both in paperback and published by Collins

Does anyone know if there is anything off at modelzone at the moment / in the near future?

Last yesr in the 4 weeks before Father's day they had quite a good sale (I think 20% off)

that must just about bring them down to normal model-shops prices doesn't it?

Archived