Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Their special commission ones are only going for a couple of quid more - I got one a while back and was very pleased with it.

Is this part of the sign that people just aren't prepared to buy at full price that these locomotives are now getting discounted so heavily?

Thanks for that amdaley, just ordered one, it'd be rude not to at that price ! :)

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that amdaley, just ordered one, it'd be rude not to at that price ! :)

Sam

I wonder how they arrive at that selling price considering Hornby's new trade pricing?

Keith

EDIT it's well below Hattons pre-order price

Their special commission ones are only going for a couple of quid more - I got one a while back and was very pleased with it.

Is this part of the sign that people just aren't prepared to buy at full price that these locomotives are now getting discounted so heavily?

I think it depends - premium pricing of the special commissions only works if the model chosen and quantity produced appear to justify the extra cost. As regards what people are prepared to pay, the market is very strange at the moment - on the one hand there is the very reduced supply of new products with certain models being hard to find; on the other hand we are at the tail end of a 15 year run that has seen a greater variety of 4mm RTR models made than at any time before. and there is still product stuck in the supply chain that needs to be keenly priced to shift. 

Hmm, a good price, pretty much cheapest I've seen them, bought one a couple of years back at Stowmarket show for £80 which I was well pleased with. Hattons did have some different ones as low as £69, but they were unweathered.

I'm not sure about the so called RRP though, I suspect that refers to the current RRP for new stock. This one, if from the same batch as mine, was made in November 2010 when the RRP was, I'm sure, a good bit lower. 

Nothing wrong in that necessarily, just a tad misleading as it implies a bigger bargain than it actually is, still you won't get them that cheap when a new batch does arrive! 

Just been on there site they have some great bargains.

http://www.mikronmodelrailways.co.uk/acatalog/Diesel-and-Electric-Locomotives.html

32-703 class 46 for £59

R2693X class 31 for £59 (Note its second hand)

31-265 motor luggage van for £49 (Note its second hand)

and there are loads more!

The class 31 is being sold by a Liverpool box shifter for £110 and its second hand!!!!!!!!

And £109 new??????????????????

Maybe debatable as to how much of a 'bargain' it is, but Hornby's eBay shop has seven R2920 Sandringhams in LNER livery at £95 (inc postage). 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Clearance-R2920-LNER-Sandringham-B17-1-Class-Loco-Damaged-Packaging-/181417885745?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a3d594031

Previous posters have commented that the 'damaged packaging' normally appears to be mint.

Given that a quick inter web trawl found it out of stock (apart from a handful of higher priced sites, starting at £110 + postage), it might be a 'relative' bargain, for what it's worth?

Hi,this is a tip I have picked up.I bought a £10 box of the 2 pack Model water for my canal basin....it`s rubbish hardly anything in the box,and looks poor....So I had a 1ltr tub of wood glue (PVA) from DIY store @  £2.99 put it on my river base nice and thick spread with a wooden stick from side to side.left for three days to clear,,,,,looks awesome.Plus still have nearly 3/4 of a tub left....

Maybe debatable as to how much of a 'bargain' it is, but Hornby's eBay shop has seven R2920 Sandringhams in LNER livery at £95 (inc postage). 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Clearance-R2920-LNER-Sandringham-B17-1-Class-Loco-Damaged-Packaging-/181417885745?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a3d594031

Previous posters have commented that the 'damaged packaging' normally appears to be mint.

Given that a quick inter web trawl found it out of stock (apart from a handful of higher priced sites, starting at £110 + postage), it might be a 'relative' bargain, for what it's worth?

I've bought a couple of items from Hornby's clearance eBay account recently. Despite being described as "damaged packaging", one was in perfect condition and the other had minor marks that you wouldn't have asked for a discount for from a regular shop. I have a feeling they're just marketing them as damaged packaging to prevent a backlash from their retailers by undercutting them. They seem desperate to get some cash in, and that's why I suspect the low prices for their items on their Amazon store (though I have noticed they are starting to creep back up to RRP if they haven't gotten back there already).

Hello

For the record my first purchase was as new with damaged packaging.

My second, the 'engine' was used and damaged (the carriages might never have been unwrapped) - it was exchanged for another set with again a used engine that I figured could be repaired.

My third train pack contained a damaged engine (again I figured repairable) and since the price reduction had increased to 50% it was worth keeping.

The set that I returned was described as brand new in damaged packaging. Shortly after it was posted back to Hornby a similar set appeared on their web site - headed ex display (although you would observe the text of the advertisement was unaltered and would have you believe that it was brand new and unopened).

Check out Hornby's feedback - somebody else seems to have had the exact same experience. I guess you get what you pay for (or you can send it back).

Regards

Ray

I suspect the low prices for their items

Hello

For the record my first purchase was as new with damaged packaging.

My second, the 'engine' was used and damaged (the carriages might never have been unwrapped) - it was exchanged for another set with again a used engine that I figured could be repaired.

My third train pack contained a damaged engine (again I figured repairable) and since the price reduction had increased to 50% it was worth keeping.

The set that I returned was described as brand new in damaged packaging. Shortly after it was posted back to Hornby a similar set appeared on their web site - headed ex display (although you would observe the text of the advertisement was unaltered and would have you believe that it was brand new and unopened).

Check out Hornby's feedback - somebody else seems to have had the exact same experience. I guess you get what you pay for (or you can send it back).

Regards

Ray

I have had problems ordering from Hornby but rather than 'damaged packaging' items from their eBay store these were sold as brand new items in their sale when it was new back in January (I see they are still pushing this same 'sale' with the last few items left on the website!). I ordered quite a few items that were genuinely good prices. A couple of locos, and a number of BR coaches plus a number of Maunsell coaches and vans........

One of the Maunsell coaches didn't arrive in the parcel and over half of the rest were in filthy boxes some of which were falling apart and/or faded on one end (the label end). They were in a right old state! Two of the Maunsell coaches themselves showed signs of light handling damage, nothing major but enough to make it look second hand or severely 'shelf-worn'.

So it has surprised me considerably to more recently read all the reports on here of the fantastic condition of the Hornby 'damaged packaging' eBay store items!

To give Hornby their dues, although I had trouble getting hold of them on the phone after they came back to work post-Christmas, my email of complaint did the trick and I had a phone call from a very apologetic and helpful member of staff. He conceded that the missing coach appeared on their system but could not be physically located so immediately refunded the charge for that. He sent a courier to collect the two coaches that were actually damaged, and as I kept the rest that just had dirty or damaged packaging he gave me a further 20% discount off my next Hornby website purchase. I said at this point that it would be unlikely that I would be ordering from Hornby direct via the website in the near future, due to this less than satisfactory experience, so asked if he could apply the 20% discount to my existing order (which was quite a big order!) to which he agreed!

My assumption at the time was that the tatty/dirty items were all ex-Modelzone shop stock but I think he also explained that some of the stock could have got into this condition in their warehouse. Maybe they have had big problems with returns of such stock sold 'as new' so set up the eBay store to shift it 'as damaged'? Perhaps during this process their filtering methods for what constitutes 'damage' to the packaging has been over cautious as a result of the returns they have had!

I am now very wary of ordering direct from the Hornby website or their eBay store - and not just due to the high prices!

• RMweb Premium

Waterstones are currently having a Sale. The Southampton Above Bar Street branch had a pile of railway books at reduced prices, althogh nothing I could justify getting. Vol 1 of the British Breakdown Cranes book was £18.99 (from £33). I didn't look in the West Quay branch. Eastleigh branch on Wednesday had none but they have quite a small transport section. No doubt what's on sale will vary a lot between branches depending on unsold stock but  it's worth a look.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I have had problems ordering from Hornby but rather than 'damaged packaging' items from their eBay store these were sold as brand new items in their sale when it was new back in January (I see they are still pushing this same 'sale' with the last few items left on the website!). I ordered quite a few items that were genuinely good prices. A couple of locos, and a number of BR coaches plus a number of Maunsell coaches and vans........

One of the Maunsell coaches didn't arrive in the parcel and over half of the rest were in filthy boxes some of which were falling apart and/or faded on one end (the label end). They were in a right old state! Two of the Maunsell coaches themselves showed signs of light handling damage, nothing major but enough to make it look second hand or severely 'shelf-worn'.

So it has surprised me considerably to more recently read all the reports on here of the fantastic condition of the Hornby 'damaged packaging' eBay store items!

To give Hornby their dues, although I had trouble getting hold of them on the phone after they came back to work post-Christmas, my email of complaint did the trick and I had a phone call from a very apologetic and helpful member of staff. He conceded that the missing coach appeared on their system but could not be physically located so immediately refunded the charge for that. He sent a courier to collect the two coaches that were actually damaged, and as I kept the rest that just had dirty or damaged packaging he gave me a further 20% discount off my next Hornby website purchase. I said at this point that it would be unlikely that I would be ordering from Hornby direct via the website in the near future, due to this less than satisfactory experience, so asked if he could apply the 20% discount to my existing order (which was quite a big order!) to which he agreed!

My assumption at the time was that the tatty/dirty items were all ex-Modelzone shop stock but I think he also explained that some of the stock could have got into this condition in their warehouse. Maybe they have had big problems with returns of such stock sold 'as new' so set up the eBay store to shift it 'as damaged'? Perhaps during this process their filtering methods for what constitutes 'damage' to the packaging has been over cautious as a result of the returns they have had!

I am now very wary of ordering direct from the Hornby website or their eBay store - and not just due to the high prices!

Clearly it varies, but if you are prepared to take the chance, then there are good buys to be had. I picked up a B17 with 'damaged packaging'. The box was a bit scuffed, but no worse that some 'box shifters' and there was a small tear in the outer wrapper, again, no worse that some suppliers. And, Hornby's packaging in the postal is always very good, in my experience.

Mind you, anything beats Amazon these days, which seems to think that a heavy book, put loose in a box with some screwed up brown paper constitutes packaging! Indeed, even Ian Allan and other book sellers are now cheaper online (for new). Rant over. I'll get my coat....

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, anything beats Amazon these days, which seems to think that a heavy book, put loose in a box with some screwed up brown paper constitutes packaging! Indeed, even Ian Allan and other book sellers are now cheaper online (for new). Rant over. I'll get my coat....

Ah yes.

Homeopathic packaging. Somehow placing a scrap of bubblewrap in the same box as loose contents should magically protect it because bubblewrap is, after all, packaging material.

Not sure about "these days" though; Amazon did this on one of my first orders quite a few years ago. And on the replacement that I needed because the first one got smashed to pieces. The third time they did a bit better...

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes.

Homeopathic packaging. Somehow placing a scrap of bubblewrap in the same box as loose contents should magically protect it because bubblewrap is, after all, packaging material.

Not sure about "these days" though; Amazon did this on one of my first orders quite a few years ago. And on the replacement that I needed because the first one got smashed to pieces. The third time they did a bit better...

Screwfix are (were?) not much better

I ordered an MK fully populated Consumer unit a few years ago and only at the 4th attempt did one arrive undamaged!

They were loosely packed in an oversize box and when they were dropped face down (which during transit they almost certainly will be) the mountings for the MCBs parted company with the rest of the unit!

Amazon however can be quite good (at times) I have had two computers from them and both were properly packed for transit.

Most, not all, of the books I have had from them have been packed tightly in the card box.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If anybody's interested in Football and Trains how about the FA/TfL "tube map" with footballers names for stations.

Reduced from £14 to £10 in B&Q at the mo'

Keith

Archived